Bailey Unicorn 3

bailey550

I haven't seen this type of socket before that is used on our new Cadiz.

It isn't a rigid fixing, as it has to pivot out 45 degrees when the cover flap is opened. This is the only way you could plug a lead into it.

Apart from it being a fire risk, it also invites people to start messing around with 240v, and I suggest that most of us are not qualified electricians.

Looks as if the Solar Panel is going to be very useful in the short term.

Noticed that the read out has now reached 14. 8 after 3 weeks off the hook up, that's up from 11. 8 initially.

But I desparately want this plug issue sorting, and will be asking my dealer to attend to this before we go away in the van Easter week.

Bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

I haven't seen this type of socket before that is used on our new Cadiz.

It isn't a rigid fixing, as it has to pivot out 45 degrees when the cover flap is opened. This is the only way you could plug a lead into it.

Apart from it being a fire risk, it also invites people to start messing around with 240v, and I suggest that most of us are not qualified electricians.

Looks as if the Solar Panel is going to be very useful in the short term.

Noticed that the read out has now reached 14. 8 after 3 weeks off the hook up, that's up from 11. 8 initially.

But I desparately want this plug issue sorting, and will be asking my dealer to attend to this before we go away in the van Easter week.

Bob

I would check you battery electrolyte if the battery is being charged at 14. 8 volts for any length of time, it can start to boil.

The battery is sealed isn't it. ?? I can't check the electrolyte can I. ?

Doesn't the solar panel system check if charge is required and adjust accordingly. ??

The instructions say the barging voltage is set to 13. 8, then the charging current drops to compensate if that value is reached.

but God question as to why it's showing 14. 8 with no hook on for over 3 weeks.

Bob

Edited by 250bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

Mine is sealed, just been out to the van again, beautiful day, so solar panel weather.

Now showing 13. 9, down from 14. 8 earlier. ...so clearly the control panel doing its job shutting down the charging phase. This should theoretically drop to 13. 3 before entering the charging phase again.

Will monitor it this afternoon.

Edited by 250bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

May I ask why you were not shown the caravan working on handover? When I bought a pre-owned caravan from a dealer the handover took more than two hours during which I was shown that everything was working to my satisfaction. I thought that all hand-overs were carried in the manner I have described.

The hand over took 1. 5 hours, i was expecting it to be all plugged in to mains water etc this being our first new van we didn't really know what to expect, in hindsight i probably should have insisted in seeing it was all working before hitching up.

Just a quick update. Spent pretty much the entire weekend on the engineer's main cable and no interruption to the supply. But on disconnecting to come home I noticed the same as 250bob in that the end of the mains cable slides out of the van end with very little resistance.

When I'm back out to the van which is now in storage, I'll check my spare to see if things are improved or whether indeed the fault is with the van socket.

Edited by Matt Price

BMW 525d M Sport Touring and Bailey Unicorn Cartagena Series III

Mine is sealed, just been out to the van again, beautiful day, so solar panel weather.

Now showing 13. 9, down from 14. 8 earlier. ...so clearly the control panel doing its job shutting down the charging phase. This should theoretically drop to 13. 3 before entering the charging phase again.

Will monitor it this afternoon.

All sounds good Bob. :)

All sounds good Bob. :)

Yes, I'm pretty happy with how the solar panel seems to be on my Cadiz.

Even the green light on the control panel was flashing, indicating that the charging had ceased this afternoon. .....so I flicked on the 12v TV, to run the battery down below 13. 3. ......and sure enough, the green light changed to a constant green, indicating the charging process had restarted.

Bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

If I've read correctly, there's been two reported cases, one being a faulty socket and one a faulty lead - if confirmed. It may well be if more cases arise we may get into safety recall territory, but we're certainly not at that stage now.

Personally, I can confirm that my socket & cable are just fine. And I actually own a Unicorn 3, unlike many who are commenting on this thread. .... :)

• Like 1

The socket on my newly acquired unicorn 3 is very loose, i tried three leads all were loose. ... i commented this to the third party engineer who was sent out by my dealer to check on my rcd unit which was defunct, whether or not the loose socket had anything to do with the rcd not working i do not know, but i am waiting for a new socket to be sent out as a precaution.

The socket on our u3 is a little slack but it locks firmly into place but if you pull cover on cable away from lock the cable falls out readily

Mine seemed fine on our first trip out. And when ive plugged the van in on my drive with a different cable, dine everytime again

Have the rules changed on this thread that was started before the first U3's hit the production line? Are only U3 owners now allowed to offer and seek help and a advice? Just so we know. ...

• Like 2

Vito 122CDI Sport (3ltr V6 Auto) pulling U3 Cartagena

I would say this thread has ran its course. I'm sure the guys that have a U3 are enjoying them and are helping each other out with teasing problems and ideas, but quite frankly I'm not interested .

What an odd reply. ...if you are not interested, why are you reading it if you don't own U3. ?

I for one, still find it interesting, and people are still collecting new U3's and are posting their TEETHING problems on here.

Edited by 250bob
  • Like 3

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

There now seems to be a danger that the issue of the recently discussed faulty EHU plug / EHU lead being buried in this topic. Perhaps the issue should be discussed in a new topic?

There now seems to be a danger that the issue of the recently discussed faulty EHU plug / EHU lead being buried in this topic. Perhaps the issue should be discussed in a new topic?

As its a major problem as far as I am concerned, I'll start a new thread on the topic.

• Like 1

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

What an odd reply. ...if you are not interested, why are you reading it if you don't own U3. ?

I for one, still find it interesting, and people are still collecting new U3's and are posting their TEETHING problems on here.

I have to read it because it's highlighted on my timeline. The thread was started pre production . Edited by purplemadboy

I collect my Cadiz tomorrow and have been following and learning lots during the course of this long but valuable to me post. I dont read posts that dont pertain to my current van ; and cant really see the point unless the heading has a general appeal for all vans. I have learned an awful lot and have a big list of things to check.

• Like 5

I have to read it because it's highlighted on my timeline. The thread was started pre production .

Well un highlight it. Nobody here is forcing you to read stuff.

• Like 1

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

You can't unhighlight it without reading it !

Just ignore it, leave it highlighted but don't read it.

Edited by 250bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

As its a major problem as far as I am concerned, I'll start a new thread on the topic.

I full agree Bob, with a bit of luck one of the Admin team will also move some of the significant replies on the subject from this thread to your new thread too.

• Like 1

Vito 122CDI Sport (3ltr V6 Auto) pulling U3 Cartagena

My new Córdoba was delivered to its seasonal pitch last Thursday. Really like the van and without some of the tips on this thread I wouldn't be aware of some the issues I needed to look out for. The battery size and heating pump speed setting being particularly useful.

However, I'm not getting DAB reception and I need to remove the radio to confirm if the DAB aerial connection is made. Can I ask if other owners got the extraction tools when they took delivery?

Edited by paul683