Bailey Unicorn 3

bailey550

New question: looking under my van today, there's what seems to be a rubber tube (same type of diameter as BBQ/gas supply pipes),bunged,protruding about an inch from under the rear valance. Any idea what it is? Drain tube for Aide maybe?

Yes.

• Like 1

New question: looking under my van today, there's what seems to be a rubber tube (same type of diameter as BBQ/gas supply pipes), bunged, protruding about an inch from under the rear valance. Any idea what it is? Drain tube for Alde maybe?

Got it in one

Edited by Alan Stanley
  • Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Well the long awaited moment arrived and we collected our S3 Cadiz from the Dealer this morning. An excellent handover, caravan connected to electric, water and waste container with the heating on, hot water from the taps and the radio playing and tuned in to a DAB station.

So everything explained in detail and my checks came up with nothing to complain about.

Solar panel set to suit our battery type, Alde heating pump on 2, mains lead a good fit into the socket (has a raised flange on the plug cover that clips onto a nib on the socket so is very solid ),shower fully sealed, all locker lids and drawers self closing nicely, carpets covered with clear plastic and the van very clean and free from sawdust and bits of insulation. The Dealer had fitted the mover from our part exchange van and he demonstrated that this is working.

The only thing that made it 99 out of a 100 was that the Dealer had ordered a bedding set for a Valencia not a Cadiz. He did however have one in the wrong colour that we could have borrowed but we have decided to dig out the sleeping bags for our first trip away to Brighton on Monday.

I`ll post again after our week away,

Bob

• Like 1

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

Excellent news Bob. !!

Glad to hear all went well, your hand over was top quality.

Look forward your updates.

Our first trip away in the new Cadiz starts Easter Monday. Our new bedding has arrived and we shall try fitting it on in the morning.

Still have the leaking wet locker door, and the hook up plug issue to sort, but the dealer is on the case.

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

If the display is flashing and you wish to stop it,go into the menu and scroll down until you see demo,adjust this setting and hey presto annoying flashing stops.

sorted cheers

Mine did this but now appears to have stopped - not sure why - instructions are hopeless.

As far as DAB is concerned I am far from convinced it actually works - I have not been able to tune any DAB stations yet - I am beginning to wonder if the radio needs another aerial input which is missing i. e the DAB part of the radio doesnt work !

it is missing, not connected to dab at the rear of radio

Will contact dealer. .

• Like 1

Well we picked the Cartagena up yesterday and drove to the site. So far so good. Setup was easy Alde heating it's usual efficient warmth and a faster warm up than before. Then the trouble began. Within 15 mins no mains power. Bollard working fine so issue must be with the van. Caravan Club warden checked both the bollard and mains cable,nothing found there,or so I thought. Checked the RCB and pushed the now infamous reset button and yes you guessed it stuck. After much cursing and prising got the button out and lo, we have power.

No problems overnight until the morning when yep,no mains power again! Now this is really testing my patience. Everything checked from the day before with no luck and the stuck reset button again. Call to our dealer resulted in a bitten tongue with their view being sorry its the weekend and you can leave the van outside our repairers gates until Monday. Its OK they have CCTV. Are you kidding me!!!

Thankfully there was a mobile repair van approved by the CC club onsite,who after much detective work diagnosed the mains lead at fault. Apparently the suppliers have used the wrong sized metal prongs in the plug where it connects to the van causing a loose feel and crackling sound. New cable plugged in and so far so good.

Feel really let down with the dealer who after six vans will not be getting any more of my business.

So all of you having trouble with no mains power,check the mains lead.

Stressed.

• Like 1

BMW 525d M Sport Touring and Bailey Unicorn Cartagena Series III

Interesting, I've only used my supplied mains cable the once when OH left our original one (on a roll-up thing) in her car after the swap-over of vans. Didn't have any issues the first time out with it but might be worth me double-checking it as it sits with the car spare wheel as a spare.

Well we picked the Cartagena up yesterday and drove to the site. So far so good. Setup was easy Alde heating it's usual efficient warmth and a faster warm up than before. Then the trouble began. Within 15 mins no mains power. Bollard working fine so issue must be with the van. Caravan Club warden checked both the bollard and mains cable,nothing found there,or so I thought. Checked the RCB and pushed the now infamous reset button and yes you guessed it stuck. After much cursing and prising got the button out and lo, we have power.

No problems overnight until the morning when yep,no mains power again! Now this is really testing my patience. Everything checked from the day before with no luck and the stuck reset button again. Call to our dealer resulted in a bitten tongue with their view being sorry its the weekend and you can leave the van outside our repairers gates until Monday. Its OK they have CCTV. Are you kidding me!!!

Thankfully there was a mobile repair van approved by the CC club onsite,who after much detective work diagnosed the mains lead at fault. Apparently the suppliers have used the wrong sized metal prongs in the plug where it connects to the van causing a loose feel and crackling sound. New cable plugged in and so far so good.

Feel really let down with the dealer who after six vans will not be getting any more of my business.

Stressed.

This is exactly what happened to us when we rolled onto site with our new Cartagena, the dealer told us to bring it back, as they didnt do mobile servicing which i pointly refused, they finally sent a third part electrical engineer out after i threatened them with all sorts, i would be cautious as i thought the lead was faulty with mine turned out it was the rcd/control box which was faulty and it had to be replaced. never even got a courtesy call back from the dealer.

Our mains lead was definitely faulty as the engineer showed me the plug with one clearly miss sized pin which when he moved it caused a loss of power and the cracking sound.

I just hope that our RCB isn't faulty as well. Interestingly our dealer didn't phone to ask if our problem was resolved this morning either. Their lack of customer service, basic care and attentiveness has just cost them a loyal customer.

Edited by Matt Price

My understanding of the SoGA is that the buyer should return the goods to the seller, at he buyer's expense, to give the seller the opportunity identify the fault, ascertain whether or not the fault was caused by misuse by the buyer and to rectify the fault or faults.

The seller is under no obligation to send out someone to rectify the fault.

My understanding of the SoGA is that the buyer should return the goods to the seller, at he buyer's expense, to give the seller the opportunity identify the fault, ascertain whether or not the fault was caused by misuse by the buyer and to rectify the fault or faults.

er ok we had just picked the van up from the dealer, we were not shown it working on collection 2 hours later on site we could not get electric to van as the rcd was stuck in and would not budge. .. there was no way in hell i was taking said van back to dealer at my expense and he was told that was totally unacceptable.

• Like 1

er ok we had just picked the van up from the dealer, we were not shown it working on collection 2 hours later on site we could not get electric to van as the rcd was stuck in and would not budge. .. there was no way in hell i was taking said van back to dealer at my expense and he was told that was totally unacceptable.

May I ask why you were not shown the caravan working on handover? When I bought a pre-owned caravan from a dealer the handover took more than two hours during which I was shown that everything was working to my satisfaction. I thought that all hand-overs were carried in the manner I have described.

Edited by DeeTee

But I bet they didn't use your mains connection lead. I'd be wanting someone to come out to me so a or not, at a couple of hours old I wouldn't even expect to ask, I'd expect the dealer to tell me he is on the way. Its called customer sevice

Kev

May I ask why you were not shown the caravan working on handover? When I bought a pre-owned caravan from a dealer the handover took more than two hours during which I was shown that everything was working to my satisfaction. I thought that all hand-overs were carried in the manner I have described.

• Like 1

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

I did have a full PDI, but the caravan still leaked water from a pump joint on the first tour.

I also had two dealer visits for home repairs.

Its call customer service, nothing to do with SOGA.

And water joints can work loose when the caravan is towed on a journey, so even if it was OK on PDI it can spring a leak a few miles down the road.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

And wheels can fall off, hence the 50 miles onward check, noticed that on my last AWS service check sheet this week.

Edited by xtrailman

Stressed.

I currently have the same problem on my new Cadiz. It's NOT the new mains lead supplied, as we have two other older mains leads that are showing the same problem. It's a seriously loose fit when all the mains leads are plugged in, connection is intermittent and I also get the crackling sparking sound from each hook up cable.

It cannot be the cable if all 3 of them do it.

Our dealer tells me it is the socket on the caravan that is at fault, they are obtaining and fitting a new one for me very soon.

Have you tried a different hook up cable ??

Bob

Edited by 250bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

I currently have the same problem on my new Cadiz. It's NOT the new mains lead supplied, as we have two other older mains leads that are showing the same problem. It's a seriously loose fit when all the mains leads are plugged in, connection is intermittent and I also get the crackling sparking sound from each hook up cable.

It cannot be the cable if all 3 of them do it.

Our dealer tells me it is the socket on the caravan that is at fault, they are obtaining and fitting a new one for me very soon.

Have you tried a different hook up cable ??

Bob

At the moment we're using the spare left by the engineer and it seems to be working although in light of what you've said I'll reserve judgement then until we've used our spare which is at home.

Let's keep each other up to speed on this issue, I'm sure we are not alone. I'm sure I read that if this sparking/ crackling were left unattended, it could pose a fire risk. ??

Bob

• Like 1

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

Let's keep each other up to speed on this issue, I'm sure we are not alone. I'm sure I read that if this sparking/ crackling were left unattended, it could pose a fire risk. ??

Bob

You are 100% correct Bob, it could pose a very likely fire risk. Mismatched pin sizes resulting in a loose connection will in a very short space of time result in high resistance in the plug/socket assembly. This will generate heat and carbon deposits which will increase the resistance further which will further increase the heat and so it continues. One of two outcomes is inevitable in this chain of events, either the connection will degrade to the extent that the circuit is broken and no current is flowing or the heat will result in a fire.

Most people will have changed 13amp plugs in the past and found the cables all hard and charred where they enter the screw connection on the pins. This is due to the screw connection not having been secured correctly when the plug was fitted or failure to use the cable grip allowing the cable to be pulled out of the connection. The result being the same poor connection scenario found on these mismatched plugs/sockets on the vans.

In theory, the circuit breakers on the site post 'should' trip before a fire because the current will exceed the rating of the circuit breaker. However, most people assume it was a bit of damp or something causing CBs to trip and simply keep resetting them. .

I will most definitely be checking the plug and socket on our Cartagena when we collect it in a month and if in any doubt whatsoever it will be getting changed before I accept it.

Edited by iDriver

Vito 122CDI Sport (3ltr V6 Auto) pulling U3 Cartagena

Am I the only one who finds the use of substandard products being used a worry, faulty RCD and main hook up points need investigation immediately.

I've been reported in the past for saying my Valencia was fitted with cheap switches, it appears that things have got worst not better.

Thanks iDriver,

Confirmation indeed of the associated risks.

I really can't stress strongly enough how limp, or slack the plug is when fitted into the caravan socket.

I have always been used to a firm, secure fitting plug and socket. This fit on the new van with all 3 hook up leads is abysmal.

Only yesterday I went out again to the caravan parked on the drive and plugged in again. The fizzing/crackling/sparking noise is still very evident. I was sort of pleased, as I do want to demonstrate it to the technician from the dealers when he comes to fix the problem.

What on earth do people do who are not on this forum and are made aware of such a problem.

IS THIS SUCH A DANGER IT IS GROUNDS FOR A COMPLETE RECALL. ????

Bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

Excellent news Bob. !!

Glad to hear all went well, your hand over was top quality.

Look forward your updates.

Our first trip away in the new Cadiz starts Easter Monday. Our new bedding has arrived and we shall try fitting it on in the morning.

Still have the leaking wet locker door, and the hook up plug issue to sort, but the dealer is on the case.

Thank you Bob.

Hope you get your issues sorted for you quickly and you have an enjoyable break at Easter.

I`m taking a spare mains lead with me tomorrow !

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

For clarity I should reiterate our U3 is only due in April so I have not seen, tried or tested this mains hookup plug/cable issue or the exact cause. However, I have no reason to doubt the connection is as poor as you say, especially givin the fizzing/crackling/sparking you mention.

Taking that as read, I agree with Scaramanger and 250Bob in that I would not be surprised if there were a recall very soon. If I had a,ready taken delivery of our U3 I would certainly be contacting my dealer and/or Bailey to ask if they are aware of the issue and what advice is being offered to customers.

To be fair to Bailey, these plugs and sockets are a generic item and should conform to an international standard. There may well be a faulty batch out there supplied to other Caravan manufacturers too.

Vito 122CDI Sport (3ltr V6 Auto) pulling U3 Cartagena