Sign in to follow this  
Rael

Anyone Use A Wifi Bridge On Site?

All the sites we've visited have had a "one device at a time" policy for their wifi, and as both the boss and I have iPads this is proving to be a right old pain in the proverbials as every time she wants to check Facebook (approx 1 million times per day) I have to log off from my important business (reading the paper and this forum) to let her on.

It was suggested to me that a solution is to set up a wifi bridge in the van, basically it's a router which connects to the site wifi and then redistributes it to the various iThings we own. We wouldn't be using any more data than normal, just having fewer arguments in the process :-)

Has anyone tried this approach?

I have one of these, great bit of kit, if you are lucky, you can pick up wifi free from nearby pub/house/anyone, and then all of you can have connection at the same time.

That's going to be Phase II of my Raspberry Pi Project.

But since I've only got Phase I done (the media server for the car/caravan) and it's taken me months off and on, I'm giving it a rest for the time being.

We used a laptop to do this.

How do you achieve that without a 2nd wireless card?

I've done it with a laptop plus a wifi hub, but not without.

Tony

Edited by TonyJover

How do you achieve that without a 2nd wireless card?

I've done it with a laptop plus a wifi hub, but not without.

Tony

Use a micro USB wifi connector.

So. .. a 2nd wifi card then :)

So. .. a 2nd wifi card then :)

Yes, to create a bridge you must have two side ;)

some laptop cards are able to receive and transmit. You need to check if you have that capability. usually dual band ones that have 2. 4 and 5Ghz. ie receive on one and transmit on the other.

problem you have with that is you have to have devices that can see 5Ghz. I have yet to see a wifi hotspot transmitting on 5Ghz so you usually have to use the 2. 4ghz to receive and 5Ghz to transmit.

That limits the choice of devices that connect.

go to www. ubnt. com and do it yourself :D

by the time you put everything together you are not much cheaper than the off the shelf one.

pay the extra and get the support and warranty as one

Probably a lot easier to get a mifi

http://www. ebay. co. uk/bhp/mifi

£30 for a 3g mifi and get 1gb data per month from Virgin for a fiver or just do PAYG for the summer.

I have used one for the last 4 years gets a signal most places.(virgin)

Fine for general browsing not so good for Skygo, BBC iplayer or Netflix.

Usually have a laptop an android tablet an ipod touch and windows phone all on the WIFI at once no problem.

4 g mifi's are out there but not so sure you need to be watching HD movies on a laptop screen and blowing your Data limit in 5 minutes!!

take a look at this

http://www. solwise. co. uk/wireless-usb-usbwifirpt-3000. html

with

http://www. solwise. co. uk/wireless-usb-rocket-bgn. html

Around £70 in total and if you take the antenna with you in car and use a laptop, it is usb so connects direct to a laptop and you can use it to access hotspots when out. I use it when waiting for my son sitting in car at McD's or the like.

Hi,

I use an I boost system, which has proved very successful, in the uk and abroad. They are a bit expensive but they do the job, and I am very pleased with mine.

I also carry a mifi huawei and europa SIM card, which charges 3 euros a day when you use it. I only use this as a fall back system if all else fails. The europa sim works across European borders, so no need to carry a different SIM card for each country, and also connects to various networks. The credit stays on your card as long as you top it up once a year.

Europa sim has recently lost it vodaphone support, but still works for existing customers. I don't think you can buy the europa sim any longer, but I have recently used mine and put a top up on it, so the still work for existing customers. If you look on motorhomewifi site they give alternative card options.

Using free wifi when available, (bt fon etc) and the mifi I rarely am without an Internet connection should I require one.

I've done this for the CC wifi using an Apple Airport Express, downside is the macbook receiving the wifi does need to be plugged into the Airport other Ethernet.

Then the iPhones and iPads all have wifi.

Although as the CC wifi is pretty useless between 7 - 11pm it doesn't get that much use after all.

That ended up being my solution (using an old Mac Mini I had forgotten I had) . ... works a treat, cost nothing. Harmony restored :-)

• Like 1