Sign in to follow this  
shefchap

Awd V's 4Wd ? ! Anyone Know About The Difference?

Yesterday, I watched a youtube video which shocked me! It was all about the difference between AWD and 4x4, and how mfrs can get away with calling a car AWD when perhaps only 5% of the torque will ever get to the back wheels! Unhelpful when you need to rely on traction.

It was a comparison between a Subaru (Forester I think) and a Volvo XC70 going up a muddy incline. The Subaru with its 4wd system climbed up no probs and both front and rear axles worked together nicely. But the XC70 got stuck very quickly because the back wheels didn't really get involved in the effort to climb the hill whilst the front wheels were spinning like --- you know what!

So here's my question. What's the difference between 4wheel drive and so called AWD as in many volvo's of recent years? Any drive-train experts out there who can guide me on what will give reliable traction for hill starts at the end of the day please?.

The reason? I often have to tow up steep hills, especially with hill starts, and I can't always just 'gun it'! For my next car, I've been considering the likes of Volvo XC70, V70AWD, and other volvo's, as against Passat Alltrack, or perhaps a Vauxhall Insignia 4x4. I like estates, but if I can't rely on the traction, I might have to go for a less economincal traditional 4x4 like Kia Sorento/Hyundai SantaFe.

The caravan is 1500kg MTPLM, but soon changing to something a bit lighter like upto 1400KG.

Have a read of the Haldex system, I have it in my Skoda Octavia Estate 4x4 same as VW, Audi, Ford Kuga, Volvo, etc etc. Does for me in snow and pulling the van off a muddy field, best in mud and snow with traction control turned off.

http://www. volkswagen. co. uk/technology/transmissions-and-drivetrains/4motion

Thing is. .. This test was performed by Subaru!

Different tyres on each car probably make more difference than the 4x4 method. But this is always overlooked or underestimated.

• Like 1

I was typing tyre choice is a big factor just as you posted Alan :lol:

Between 2000 and 2010 I never had a problem with 6 LR vehicles in any weather condition then I bought a Sport and first winter it scared me to death - I then discovered it was fitted with summer tyres from factory so bought a set of all season tyres - problem solved but I was pretty annoyed at the extra expense :rolleyes:

The 2013 I have now came fitted with all season tyres so I think LR listened to buyers like me who complained B)

Edited by Muddywheels

Have you considered the Suzuki Vitara? Low ratio gear box combined with something a bit less shed like than the large Kia's etc (if it's heavy enough for you).

Personally, we're finding that AWD solves all of our previous towing issues. I think if we find some terrain that challenges the Koleos then we really shouldn't have the caravan on the back (though low ratio or an auto box would probably help with low speed control).

If you want a 4x4 get a LR no messing about sliding on wet grass 😉

If you want a 4x4 get a LR no messing about sliding on wet grass

Actually there was a guy on my old storage site that got stuck on wet grass in a fairly recent Range rover, he had three wheels in deep mud and one in the air, the one in the air just went round and round and he didn't move. Had to be pulled out with a tractor and a very upset site keeper.

If you want a 4x4 get a LR no messing about sliding on wet grass

Or a Toyota Landcruiser cos they don't breakdown ;) ;)

Actually there was a guy on my old storage site that got stuck on wet grass in a fairly recent Range rover, he had three wheels in deep mud and one in the air, the one in the air just went round and round and he didn't move. Had to be pulled out with a tractor and a very upset site keeper.

Yeah then the tractor got stuck and a tracked machine had to dig them all out. ....

Or a Toyota Landcruiser cos they don't breakdown ;) ;)

Mmmm possibly more than reliability alone??

Yeah then the tractor got stuck and a tracked machine had to dig them all out. ....

Didn't a Sorento then pull the tracked machine out, then the tractor and then the LR?

Or was I just dreaming?

• Like 1

I saw a German car review video where a Volvo XC70 was compared to a Ssangyong Rexton, and the Volvo was brilliant until it saw anything that was not a metalled road! It is horses for courses with most cars.

Didn't a Sorento then pull the tracked machine out, then the tractor and then the LR?

Or was I just dreaming?

Yes that was indeed a dream

This was true though. .....

Fair play, the D4 would have done it with more style thats all ;)

Youtube also shows a Subaru Impreza doing the same

Tyres tyres tyres ;)

There are many different ways of driving both axles and then driving individual wheels on that axle. Dog Clutches, LSD of many different designs, Viscous Couplings, Friction Clutches, Magnetic Couplings, Epicyclic diffs, Wheel Brakes and all manner of Electronics to control hte different systems.

Land Rover themselves have used many different technologies over the years.

Subaru's system provides excellent predictable traction but at the expense of efficiency and fuel economy.

Subaru use one of three different systems, depending on the engine/transmission and model.

Thats because he did not know what he was doing. All proper 4x4's (those with proper diferentails) will do this the cure depends upon the exact 4x4 system the car has.

If it has locking differentials then locking the diff solves the problem, if it has Traction control but no locking diff then you accelerate hard enough for the traction control to work on the spinning wheel and this solves the problem.

Bloke with the Range Rover - All the gear no idea! should take up the Landrover Experince option - my 14 Year old Daughter is booked in for this in August!

• Like 1

Tyres tyres tyres ;)

Most people just ignore ignore ignore and theorise about 4wd systems as we see here.

• Like 1

Thats because he did not know what he was doing. All proper 4x4's (those with proper diferentails) will do this the cure depends upon the exact 4x4 system the car has.

If it has locking differentials then locking the diff solves the problem, if it has Traction control but no locking diff then you accelerate hard enough for the traction control to work on the spinning wheel and this solves the problem.

Bloke with the Range Rover - All the gear no idea! should take up the Landrover Experince option - my 14 Year old Daughter is booked in for this in August!

Agreed, he had no idea what the buttons did and it was on summer tyres. .. 'Bold, summer tyres'.

I know how to off road, I grew up on a farm. We have had lots of landrovers all the way from 2. 2l petrol 88's to Range Rovers and John Deer. I'm sorry, but you have never off roaded until you try a large tractor :D :D

Most people just ignore ignore ignore and theorise about 4wd systems as we see here.

Yep a 2wd can outperform 4wd on low traction surfaces with the right tyre.

• Like 1

Good little video that Lee.