Sign in to follow this  
JamesF

St Ives, Cornwall - Quiet Site Near Sea

Hi to all

I'm trying to find a nice quiet, sea side site near to St Ives, Cornwall. Ideally a CL with EHU with great views fairly near the sea and bus routes and a pub/village not too far away.

Not asking too much ? wellI suppose it is a bit :)

We're a "mature" couple and are mainly use our own "facilities" so showers etc are not needed and we normally go for CC CL's ( we're members) or the more baisic Club Sites ( like St Agnes) but not too far away from some interest - village town etc where there might be some live music and pub grub etc.

Oh! and a decent beach B)

We're looking to go mid July

Cheers

JIm

We like godrevey but the cc have a site without facilities near Penzance .

Also there are quite a lot of cls in the area have you looked on here.

Thanks Norab :)

We've settled on a week at Gwithian Farm and are now looking for part of a week somewhere else. I've looked at Godrevey but they were booked (I shouldn't have left it so late - but home issues dictated a last minute booking) but as I'm now looking at just one week I'll perhaps have another look.

:later edit - I've just looked at the site and it's still booked for when we want to go but I'll keep an eye open for cancellations and perhaps give the wardens a ring :) )

I've looked at most of the CL's around there but as I want an EHU it's limiting a bit as for some reason not many CL's in that area have them and yes I'm considering the CC (low facilities ) club site plus I'm also considering the Trevedra site.

Thanks again

Jim

Edited by JamesF

Thanks Norab :)

We've settled on a week at Gwithian Farm and are now looking for part of a week somewhere else. I've looked at Godrevey but they were booked (I shouldn't have left it so late - but home issues dictated a last minute booking) but as I'm now looking at just one week I'll perhaps have another look.

:later edit - I've just looked at the site and it's still booked for when we want to go but I'll keep an eye open for cancellations and perhaps give the wardens a ring :) )

I've looked at most of the CL's around there but as I want an EHU it's limiting a bit as for some reason not many CL's in that area have them and yes I'm considering the CC (low facilities ) club site plus I'm also considering the Trevedra site.

Thanks again

Jim

Try graham and Anne at Bowgyheere farm, crowlas 01736 710301, it's just outside Penzance and has easy access (short drive) to the beaches at st Ives or on the Pz Coast there are beaches at perranuthnoe, Prussia cove, praa sands all 5 mins away. Has ehu and a view of the mount depending on where you pitch or open views of the countryside.

Should be keeping it quiet really but it's a nice spacious CL with pitches arranged around a large field not crammed in a line and when I spoke to them last week they had some space left in July and August which is unusual.

Thanks Sleepyfolk :D

You could look at tollgate farm perranporth,or sunny medows goonhavern. Not sure how busy they would be its getting near school hols.

Thanks folks - because of various home/family stuff we couldn't book 'till the last weekend! so many sites were full up and the options were somewhat limited however we've now booked at Trevaylor (nr. St Just) and Gwythian Farm ( nr St Ives)

I'll feed back how good ( or bad?) they are but the reviews (UKCS) are very good :)

Cheers

Jim

Edited by JamesF

They are both good sites, not sure they'll fit into the nice and quiet bracket but I'm sure you'll have a lovely time, gwithian always looks immaculate- you can't get much closer to a pub at either!

Try the halsetown inn, halsetown, st Ives - owned by blas and featured in the telegraph - good Sunday roast, godolphin arms marazion - just had a million pound refit has glass fronted restaurant looking over st michaels mount, quayside at lelant, Hayle - good food and used to do jazz, tolcarne inn newlyn if you like fish - been refurbed and top chef owns it now, Victoria inn, perranuthnoe and the little cliff top cafe in perranuthnoe does a reasonable priced cream tea with probably the best view you'll find

Bon voyage and bon appetite!

just back from 10 days at Tevaylor it is near the coast path on the bus route (community bus as well as First services) and there is a good pub just a short walk away. geevor mine nearby is worth a visit. a really good location. Enjoy!

Thanks folks - because of various home/family stuff we couldn't book 'till the last weekend! so many sites were full up and the options were somewhat limited however we've now booked at Trevaylor (nr. St Just) and Gwythian Farm ( nr St Ives)

I'll feed back how good ( or bad?) they are but the reviews (UKCS) are very good :)

Cheers

Jim

And all the sites with the good reviews are all full because. ....... B)

• Like 1

Got back last Friday after 2 weeks at Gwithian Farm, got to say would be hard to find a better site, excellent facilities . Close to beach and the excellent Sunset Surf Cafe . Would highly recommend Gwithian Farm .

Took the opportunity to check out other sites in the area, can honestly say in my opinion none came close .

Hi

Just back home and thanks for the info :)

Trevaylor was great - liked the "management", very hands on :) and the atmosphere in the site bar. Didn't eat there but the food looked quite good ( and others reccomended it). The site was pretty full but there is ample space around each pitch and not "too" much noise. The couple in the next 'van were regular regulars, been coming most years for many years.

Major change from our normal CL type site but we enjoyed it. Not too noisy and very friendly.

The surrounding area was really interetsing ( I'm into Cornish Tin mine history :) )

Gwithian Farm was a bit more "modern", very clean showers ( didn't use them though - use the 'van shower ) but you do pay for the services ( £30 a night!). The pitches were reasonably spread out ( we had a hard standing pitch adjacent to the boundary with a farm field next to us) and quiet at night.

Very much a family /surfing oriented site which is reasonable considering that Gwithian beach is a major surfing beach that makes sense.

The van's either side of us were regulars (one family came down 2 or more times a year for up to 3 weeks - I didn't ask but assumed that the were teachers)

Two minus points:

The site and guide say that the beach is a 10 min. walk away - I think 15 is more like ( and 20 minutes back perhaps :) ) and double that whe the tide is fully in

The grey & chemical waste are located together near reception, could do with another grey waste located more centrally.

All in all we were reasonably pleased with both sites but thay did lack the stunning views of such as St Agnes CC site ( we were there last year and both of this year's were at least twice the price) . We had a look around the C Club site at Gwithian ( just down the road - it was fully booked when we were looking) and felt that their pitches were a little more generous, it was much nearer the beach and the views from the site were better BUT they did lack the rather nice "hedges and borders" at Gwithian Farm.

On the way home we broke the journey back at a really nice CL near Junc 22 (Dutch Court Farm) and that was great - 5 acres of field hook-ups round the edge so you're spread about PLUS showers and WC at only £9 a night - real good value. Bit of noise from the M5 but we chose it because it was close to the motorway so that's obviously an accepted issue.

Great holiday - great tow - now the lawns need cutting :)

Jim

Edited by JamesF

Gwithian farm

The two minus points I have found is their service pitches are only hardstand electric and not a full service pitch with water and grey services and dog owners can not use the dog section of beach due to a landslide wiping out the stairs down the cliff to the beach.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Just spotted all the great reviews on this post, we are big fans of Cornwall, and have stayed at Carnon Downs the last couple of years, but may well try Gwithian next time.

Don't think Gwithian Farm can be beaten ! It's a must for us every July .