Anyone Purchased Second Hand Awnings From Ebay?

I am interested in obtaining a second hand porch awning from Ebay as there is potentially a good saving to be made and I am fed up of wrestling with the 'big awning' when there is the slightest of breezes. Also for weekends it seems to be just too much bother!

My concern is that on receipt, the item may not in my opinion be regarded in the same esteem as the seller.

What can be done after the cheque has been cleared if you find missing bits, damage or just dissapointed?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated to an Ebay virgin!

Thanks in advance

:)

The blunt answer is - in practise not much, it's just like any other market stall.

eBay and PayPal both have complaints procedures and claim to assist in resolving disputes - however with the volumes of trades going through their systems they may not have much quality time to devote to any individual circumstance

I would recommend if buying an awning from eBay that you choose to collect it yourself and inspect it on collection

Good luck

Moose

Check the seller’s feedback for negative comments. If their rating is good then you can bid with a degree of confidence.

Have you had a look on the caravan club website at the on line trader? I bought an Isabella magnum in perfect condition for £295 which as the list price is £702 I consider a bargain.

Also have a look at dealer’s secondhand awnings.

I bought a porch awning last year off eBay. It was described as 'As new, but without curtains.' I wasn't disappointed. It was a great bargain. Much to my surprise, three weeks later I received a parcel in the post. It was the awning curtains that the seller had found. Not everyone on eBay are crooks.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If you pay by PayPal, you have some buyer protection.

I bought an item from E-bay which was delivered to my house by the Royal Mail when I wasn't in. They put a card through the door and took it back to the sorting office. When I went to collect it, they had lost it.

I knew from previous experience that the sender has to claim from the Royal Mail, so I went onto E-bay to contact the seller, but he was no longer a registered E-bayer. I contacted E-Bay and they put it through their investigation procedure. After about 3 weeks, I was reimbursed in full by E-Bay/Paypal.

I have bought a second-hand awning from E-Bay and it was fine. (Well it wasn't second-hand actually, it was a factory second but it was as good as new).

Shaz

Edited by k9shaz

I wouldn't worry too much, is it described as new? In our experience people buy porch awnings and don't use them, so they are in great condition as was ours when we bought it for £95! Not on ebay but Adtrader. If I bought one on ebay, I would inspect on collection and decline if it wasn't as described.

We bought a full awning on eBay which was described "as new". Actually, it was difficult to see if it had ever been used. The only fly in the ointment is that it doesn't quite fit our van properly, but that's my fault, not the seller's.

Of the 60 odd items I've bought on eBay only one could really be described as iffy. ...and that came from Hong Kong. as for the rest, I've picked up some real bargains, both caravanning items and others. Just do what has been mentioned before. ..check feedback. I always look up the last few transactions, not just the feedback score, just to set my mind at rest.

Oh, and the one none receipt I had I reported to paypal and even though the seller had proof of postage I got my money back. Took about 3 - 4 weeks, but I got it back.

Thanks for your comments and guidance. I have placed a bid and will await outcome with baited breath - I have decided to collect in person if successful to hasten the process and try it out. Meanwhile I will check out the CC Club classisfied.

Cheers me dears!

;)

If you buy from e-bay PAY BY CREDIT CARD, the paypal protection is pants and you will only get your money back if the seller has the funds in his account.

• 2 weeks later...

if you dont have any joy, try here. we bought ours here - excellent service.

http://www. awnings. co. uk/

We bought a secondhand awning online which had the right dimensions for our caravan. ...it included, poles,curtains etc. Seemed a great bargain until we put it up in Spain!.......definitely the wrong size. ..much too big. .... :( but luckily for us someone on the site wanted it so we were not too much out of pocket after all :)

I have a Bradcot porch awning purchased new in 2004 with the easi fit system, curtains etc. It has aluminum poles so is very light weight. Only used on a few occasions Cost new about £340. I was thinking of selling it for about £150. If you are interested pm me and make an offer. We want to buy a full size awning from another forum user.

Thanks for the offers of advice and sales opportunities -

I was successful in obtaining through Ebay and it turned out to be an excellent buy. The porch awning is immaculate and arrived within two days of the bidding ending.

We tried it out on the van over the weekend and the rain came along to enable full weather test.

Wish we had started with the small awning before buying the full sized one - so much more practical.

I would have no hesitation in purchasing from Ebay again -

Thanks all