Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Air Conditioning

We have 4 small dogs that always come out with us and on the odd occasion we will take the cat along. On a number of occasions like when shopping we find it better to leave the dogs in the caravan with the Omnivent and a small fan running. Also plenty of water around for them.

IMHO this better than carting them around when shopping as even though the vehicle has air con, when you park it up, you have to switch off the air con. Even if leaving the windows open, the vehicle still gets very warm after awhile. Unfortunately I cannot rush around a supermarket and it can easily take an hour in one shop to get most of our things.

We would probably go for a Dometic type? The one issue that is bothering us is how often we woudl use it to justify the outlay. I am led to believe that some air cons can pump out warm air in the cooler months.

As we are upgrading our caravan, we are wondering if it worth considering at a cost of about £1300 - £1400?

We have 4 small dogs that always come out with us and on the odd occasion we will take the cat along. On a number of occasions like when shopping we find it better to leave the dogs in the caravan with the Omnivent and a small fan running. Also plenty of water around for them.

IMHO this better than carting them around when shopping as even though the vehicle has air con, when you park it up, you have to switch off the air con. Even if leaving the windows open, the vehicle still gets very warm after awhile. Unfortunately I cannot rush around a supermarket and it can easily take an hour in one shop to get most of our things.

We would probably go for a Dometic type? The one issue that is bothering us is how often we woudl use it to justify the outlay. I am led to believe that some air cons can pump out warm air in the cooler months.

As we are upgrading our caravan, we are wondering if it worth considering at a cost of about £1300 - £1400?

I would be very surprised if you could get a new unit for that sort of money and much depends on the size of your caravan.

You could, of course, identify which model you want and as they are self contained units, try to obtain one from a caravan salvage/breaker

As an example of cost Lunar price aircon fitted by dealer to their new vans at £1,380

I depends on the size of your caravan as to ultimately how much it will cost as you will need a bigger unit for a bigger twin axle than you would for a smaller one.

If your unit is sized incorrectly for example i. e. too small it will be running at a very high load if not 100% load for longer periods to achieve the same cooling affect as a higher KW/btu system. It also depends on where you are going to be spending your time. If your are going abroad where average ambient temperatures are higher it would be advisable to oversize by about 25%

I bought the Dometic B2600 fresh-jet for our Bailey twin axle which cost £1700 supply only. it is good for caravan up to 8m internal length for hot climates.

Since you have an Omni fan installed the cable should be of the correct rating to run one of these units. I did change the MCCB in the 230V consumer unit to a 6A type C due to the inductive nature of the load.

Very easy to install the hard work is pulling the cable through the roof space and you have that already. They are also a heat pump design which can provide warm air too

The 2600 weighs 40 Kg so I called Bailey to enquire as to structural strength and stability and was told it was designed to have that sort of loading in the area of 400mm vent and it would not affect the stability. I would however check with Elddis. I think I was told the B1600 was for small to medium sized caravans.

The B2200 would have sufficed for the UK but we intend to travel to Europe next year. They draw somewhere in the region of 4amps on full load cooling.

I looked at the Truma units that can be installed under the seats and whilst a 'comfort system' with ducting and louvers all the through the caravan would be good for the air distribution and offer more flexibility the installation is a bit of a pain; cutting holes in cupboards for the ducting and a big hole in the floor for the condenser air flow outlet so I decided against it even though it would put the weight lower down.

Hope this helps

Edited by Lee21

The price I picked was for a 6. 34m internal length twin axle.

The caravan has an internal length of 6. 27m so about right as per Easy T. Checking around there is a mention of a portable "Cool my Camper" unit at about £500, but it seems it needs re-gassing virtually every year.

You must not leave your dogs unattended in a caravan or a car. It is very dangerous as dogs can die in hot vans and or cars. Air con aside. ... it would only take the power to trip while you were out. ... you must not do this.

Please review what you are doing urgently.

You must not leave your dogs unattended in a caravan or a car. It is very dangerous as dogs can die in hot vans and or cars. Air con aside. ... it would only take the power to trip while you were out. ... you must not do this.

Why? On a hot day, the caravan with the fans on is a lot cooler than a motor vehicle. Even if the power did trip out the caravan is still cooler than them being cooped up in a vehicle. As long as our dogs are happy, no one else should be concerned especially as it is not a regular occurrence. Anyway the thread is about air con and not dogs.

I suspect you may have misinterpreted and over reacted

Why? On a hot day, the caravan with the fans on is a lot cooler than a motor vehicle. Even if the power did trip out the caravan is still cooler than them being cooped up in a vehicle. As long as our dogs are happy, no one else should be concerned especially as it is not a regular occurrence. Anyway the thread is about air con and not dogs.

If you have an end washroom and may leave dogs for a short time then it is useful to have the van face north and the rear washroom door closed. With roof blinds in place there is a lot less radiated heat from the sun shining through windows and greatly increasing internal temperatures in my opinion.

My neighbour has used a portable aircon unit in his bedroom for many years. He has it because he works shifts and can be in bed in the height of the daytime temperatures.

This is about dogs as the OP mentions dogs. I have not misinterpreted. I will not discuss further as I think my comments are self explanitory. .. if you dont agree then no problem. ... but perhaps the below quote from the rspca will help. ...

In previous years the RSPCA has had problems with dog being left in cars/caravans/awnings, all of which can get hot on even cloudy days. The temperature in enclosed spaces like these rises quickly, causing heatstroke and death. The RSPCA is working with Cumbria Constabulary on a zero tolerance approach to this and where dogs are found in caravans or awningsthey will be removed. Where they are found to be suffering or their needs not being met the RSPCA will seek to prosecute.

Edited by bob1982

My caravan with the blinds closed and the vents open stays cooler inside than the outside in warm weather. It seems to me that this pooch lover is caring for their dogs and putting a great deal of effort into making sure they're safe, comfortable and secure. Its a shame that no regard is being shown for such a caring attitude from some quarters.

Highbridge caravans have quoted £1750 to fit a Telair roof mounted air con. I always thought that Dometic reigned supreme in air con for caravans? Unfortunately not prepared to spend £1750 for an air con that we will only use occasionally.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Highbridge caravans have quoted £1750 to fit a Telair roof mounted air con. I always thought that Dometic reigned supreme in air con for caravans? Unfortunately not prepared to spend £1750 for an air con that we will only use occasionally.

Have aq look on ebay, one here currently at £300

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Caravan-Motorhome-Dometic-B2200-Roof-Mount-Air-Conditioning-Unit-/151328817747?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item233be68253

My caravan with the blinds closed and the vents open stays cooler inside than the outside in warm weather. It seems to me that this pooch lover is caring for their dogs and putting a great deal of effort into making sure they're safe, comfortable and secure. Its a shame that no regard is being shown for such a caring attitude from other quarters.

Yes. ... how dare the rspca suggest this. Terrible.

I think I am quite happy for people to disagree. I am mearly making a perfectly fair and legitimate point in a fair and reasonable manner. My views are pefectly valid and reasoned and I thought it reasonable to express them in case it had not been considered by 'other quarters'.

I am sure others would be more than able to drop the rspca a line themselves to ask their professional opinion on this rather than listening to me. I wonder what they might say? Who knows?

As stated happy for others not to agree with me or the rspca. ... I am happy I have made my views known in a fair way. Thanks.

Edited by bob1982

The simple fact is that bald statement by the rspca is meaningless if taken out of context, How safe is a dog in a caravan? That depends on many factors. Outside temperature, cloud cover time of day, wind, rain, alignment of the caravan in relation to the suns path, blinds, skylights, length of time etc. A responsible dog owner will make a balanced judgement and act accordingly. If he has to be away in weather when it might be a poblem he may choose early morning - it is down to judgement.

I do not wish to engage in a long protracted debate on this. My comments are fair and valid. My quotes are in context. You either want to agree or not. I am just making a point. I politely respect others differing views which will not align with my own. But respect others viewpoints and I trust this will be reciprocated. I will post nothing else and leave you to digest or ignore as you wish.

Clearly no one agrees with me so there you go.

Edited by bob1982

The simple fact is that bald statement by the rspca is meaningless if taken out of context, How safe is a dog in a caravan? That depends on many factors. Outside temperature, cloud cover time of day, wind, rain, alignment of the caravan in relation to the suns path, blinds, skylights, length of time etc. A responsible dog owner will make a balanced judgement and act accordingly. If he has to be away in weather when it might be a poblem he may choose early morning - it is down to judgement.

Good post, well said

I too agree a well written post which I respect but do not agree with. Thank you for expressing your differing view which was of interst to read. Always useful to absorb alternative views. I hope somewhere along the line someone may find my thoughts of some interest as well.

Edited by bob1982

Sorry, off topic and mega thread drift . ....................

And how many owners ignore site rules that state" dogs must not be left alone or unattended at any time". This appears in many sites' T's&C's and more often than not owners just ignore this and ***** off to go and do some shopping for a few hours :angry: .

If such an owner is next to me on a site or in the vicinity, yes I will shop you to the owners and/or wardens. Time for them think about their pet first and foremost and not themselves.

Edited by Pebble

I too agree a well written post which I respect but do not agree with. Thank you for expressing your differing view which was of interst to read. Always useful to absorb alternative views. I hope somewhere along the line someone may find my thoughts of some interest as well.

I don't disagree with your concern Bob. I just believe that the overall circumstance has to be considered. My labrador would have been happy left alone (Straight onto a nice comfy bench and by the time I returned back on the floor looking innocent). He was not left alone in the van purely because it was not necessary except when the family went off for ablutions. Probably then for 20 mins. If he was left in the car whilst we were shopping we were always mindful of weather etc and it would be for a similar 20 minutes. Did he suffer. No.

Sorry, off topic and mega thread drift . ....................

And how many owners ignore site rules that state" dogs must not be left alone or unattended at any time". This appears in many sites' T's&C's and more often than not owners just ignore this and ***** off to go and do some shopping for a few hours :angry: .

If such an owner is next to me on a site or in the vicinity, yes I will shop you to the owners and/or wardens. Time for them think about their pet first and foremost and not themselves.

Thanks Pebble. .. it was getting awfully loanly out here on the limb myself. Edited by bob1982

I use mainly Caravan Club sites. I do not believe that they actually have such a rule.

The OP IS thinking of their pets, to keep them cool and comfortable instead of dragging them along in a relatively hot car. If the dogs are clearly happy, contented, comfortable and not causing any nuisance, why on earth would you 'shop' them to the wardens.

Live and let live, take a chill pill

I use mainly Caravan Club sites. I do not believe that they actually have such a rule.

From http://www. google. co. uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. caravanclub. co. uk%2Fmedia%2F5172649%2Fvisiting%2520club%2520sites%2520with%2520dogs. pdf&ei=ui-hU_ixPOeO7AaolIDoBQ&usg=AFQjCNET3l0aNlQ5_dIUtGGeI3pzUxTP2g

"Please avoid leaving your dog alone in your car, outfit, awning or tent at any time, especially on hot days when temperatures can quickly build up and become extremely dangerous or even fatal for animals."