Security

Hi again everybody.

No doubt I will be here a lot in the next few months; before we collect our caravan and immediately afterwards, so sorry if I am a pest!!! But then why change the habit of a life time!!

We are obviously concerned with security but as usual there are many many products out there. So where do I start to find the best for my Avondale Eagle 2004?

Thanks again.

Sue :blink:

Guest john1215

Sue,

Thare a lot of good products for security on the market, your choice can sometimes be decided by the size of your pocket. There are oodles of brand names to pick from.

My choice is, A MILENCO wheelclamp, chosen because it is easy for me to put on but difficult for a thief to remove. (Not impossible, nothing is really impossible to move). A tracker system (chosen because the insurance company specified it or a v. good quality alarm system and because I've invested in a new van and I want it to stay mine).

I would imagine that you will get lots more replies from other users with other recommendations.

john1215

Hi again everybody.

No doubt I will be here a lot in the next few months; before we collect our caravan and immediately afterwards, so sorry if I am a pest!!!  But then why change the habit of a life time!!

We are obviously concerned with security but as usual there are many many products out there.   So where do I start to find the best for my Avondale Eagle 2004?

Thanks again.

Sue :blink:

5937[/snapback]

Sue,

I initially bought a Milenco wheel clamp for my van but returned it immediately to the shop. It was hard enough to assemble off the wheel let alone on the van wheel whilst kneeling in mud! It even scratched the lacquer off the wheel of my 1 day old caravan which peed me off no end. I went for a Bulldog QD44 for my van which has 14" wheels and 185/65 tyres. Definitely recommend the Bulldog for security and ease of fit - need to make sure you get the right one for your wheel size as there are a couple. Expect to pay around £80 to £85.

A good wheel clamp is more important than a good hitch lock, so spend the most of your budget on the wheel clamp. For your hitch lock, get whichever one you feel comfortable using making sure it is meant for your hitch design (you can get a 'Pyramid produts' one for the Alko 2004-3004 hitch for less than £30 from Towsure and it is perfectly adequate). Thieves have a pivoting box (with a cut out at the rear) on the tow hitch of their Transit vans that they drop the hitch into (including the hitch lock) and then they put a lid on the box which encapsulates the hitch head thus enabling the van to be towed with the hitch lock in place - cunning so and so's eh? I have pictures of this device at work on a Police / National Caravan Council produced video on caravan theft.

Simon

I also bought a bulldog wheel clamp, but I bought the Tital, it weighs a whopping 20 Kg, so always stored in the car rather than the van when towing!

However, In a recent test it was the only clamp that was able to withstand an attack for longer than 5 mins. Now that is not much time but you would hope that somebody would have heard the commotion and called the police.

Sue

As an Engineer I thought the Bulldog Titan was the best constructed, although it's very heavy.

I must say it gives me reasonable peace of mind as I believe it would take a very determined thief some time (or with serious cutting gear) to remove it.

I put my money into the clamp and use the Alko hitchlock and ball on my Bailey Ranger 2004 model.

The Bulldog Clamp was also exhibited on the West Midlands Police Crime Provention Stand at the NEC Caravan Show and my Insurance Company confirmed it was on their Approved Listing - Lets hope it does the job.

JONO

The advice I would give is buy the best you can afford without breaking the bank.#

When looking round for our van we went for a Millenco wheel clamp and an ALKO 2004 triple pack.

Some of the horrow stories we read and were told, it is basically a case of if they want your want they will have it. Some of the equipment they use does not bear thinking about.

The is also talk that even if you know where you stolen van is, there is some reluctance for the authorities to go and recover it.

Regards

Trevor

PS. We have decided that the more time we spend away in our van, the less chance there is of it being stolen from our storage compund!!!