12v Socket

SZW

Guest john1215
Where is it fitted?  If near the loo on the outside, it is to use a separate electric pump to fill the loo's flush.

5938[/snapback]

We had one of these on an older Swift Challenger 440SE, what a brilliant idea, all caravans should have them, makes filling the loo header tank a doddle. If this is what your socket is "You lucky people".

john1215

Our caravan has a 3pin round pin socket which has a sticker on it stating "12 Volt Only"

Is this a standard fixture?

Mark

5927[/snapback]

Reading this again, the "3-pin" hits me. The 12v loo sockets were round with 2-pins.

Any chance of a picture to help?

Picture much appreciated. To go back to your original question, I don't think these are standard. Where it is fitted, next to TV aerial socket, it looks as though it has been fitted to give a 12v dc supply to the TV, as well as the 230v ac the other sideof the aerial.

Neat job if retro fitted. What make/age is van?

It's a '94 Abbey Spectrum 418

We bought it last year - one owner from new

I think it was the top of the range model when new and is a lovely 'van

It came with all the original handbooks etc so it might be mentioned in there (if it is original equipment).

This is the old 230vac 3 pin 5/15 amp socket as was used before the advent of the current 13 amp sockets.

It is very neat though and looks like a modern re-incarnation.

6160[/snapback]

I though it might be but it looks slightly smaller than the old 15 amp stuff

and the socket front certainly isn't a pre-war bakelight fitting ;)

We used to have those 15amp sockets at primary school er. .. um. ..thirty years ago.

Guest macSpot

We had a socket like that in our first van, a 1993 Compass Reflection. It was also marked with a label saying it was a 12volt socket.

I am not sure if you will be able to get a plug from it and an easier otion might be to replace the socket with the current square type, then you shouldn't have problems with plugs.

MacSpot

We had a socket like that in our first van, a 1993 Compass Reflection. It was also marked with a label saying it was a 12volt socket.

I am not sure if you will be able to get a plug from it and an easier otion might be to replace the socket with the current square type, then you shouldn't have problems with plugs.

MacSpot

6191[/snapback]

Hmmm. ..

Not too keen on that idea. Someone is bound to end up plugging a 12v appliance into a 230v socket!

Mark

The standard 12v square sockets are very much smaller than the 13amp 240v sockets and there is no way one plug would fit the other

Brian

The standard 12v square sockets are very much smaller than the 13amp 240v sockets and there is no way one plug would fit the other

Brian

6241[/snapback]

What are these "standard 12v square sockets" of which you speak?

SZW,

Square may be the wrong wording as they are thin rectangular prongs not too disimilar to North American style plugs.

See link for pictures

http://www. towsure. com/default. asp?d=56&t=424&p=0&op=

You can buy the 12v sockets at most dealers

Brian

Thanks for the replies and links!

When I bought the 'van, there was a 3pin roundpin plug thrown in with the awning pegs and looks exactly like the one in X-Bob's link - that didn't fit either. Odd!

Pity there isn't a "standard" plug/socket for all caravans :(

I think I might wander down to my local dealer and see what they have in stock. ..

Mark

Mark,

I'm sure I have a couple of these round pin plugs in my shed - you'd be welcome to them if they fit. If you'd like me to check them out perhaps you could give me the measurements of the distance between the centres of the holes in your socket.

Mark,

I'm sure I have a couple of these round pin plugs in my shed - you'd be welcome to them if they fit.   If you'd like me to check them out perhaps you could give me the measurements of the distance between the centres of the holes in your socket.

6275[/snapback]

That's very good of you Bob!

I'll have a measure-up tonight.

Mark

I may have been mis-understood, I meant the purpose designed 12volt socket. Like item no E617 on the Towsure web site.

MacSpot

6261[/snapback]

Yes that was what I was really looking for on the Towsure website but couldn't find it. They are also stocked at most caravan dealers. I have had this type of 12v socket as standard in all three caravans I have had.

Brian

Mark

I've just found three plugs but they do look small compared to your photo of the socket.

The distance (between centres) of the small pins is about 14mm and the small pin diameter is about 3. 5mm.

6333[/snapback]

Yeah. ..

The socket is 20mm between the lower holes and approx 22mm from the top one to a lower one -each time measuring between the left most edge of one hole to the same edge on the other.

The loose plug I found measues about 15mm between pins andis actually a 250v 2amp plug."Clipsal FP2". I suspect it's nothing to do with caravanning whatsoever. :)

Mark

I think what you have actually got is an old style 5amp domestic type socket. You should still be able to buy plugs for these at a good electrical shop, although they are becoming less widely used.

Brian

I may have been mis-understood, I meant the purpose designed 12volt socket. Like item no E617 on the Towsure web site.

MacSpot

6261[/snapback]

I have a Lunar caravan and have 3 of these in the caravan and I only found out recently that it was a 12v socket. I thought it was for an electric shaver. What appliances will operate on this? an you run a 12v Tv off this socket if you had the adaptor?