Sign in to follow this  
farmershands

Eterniti Worth A Risk Now?

Do you know that for a fact. .... Mine was the first of the 2014 models out of the factory and has plywood between the insulation and the outer skin of the van which prevents delamination occuring. This was the modification that took place as a change to the initial process used on the early 2013 vans, only some of which have suffered delamination problems with a lot fixed under warrenty costing Eterniti a lot of time and money.

The problem was due to the glue used to bond the outer skin soaked into the insulation in places and the outer skin did not attach to it properly. Hence the reason for using plywood. I have not seen anyone on FB with a 2014 model who has reported delamination. Be interested in your reply.

Rob n Judith, yes I do know for fact as we borrowed the 2014 ik3 and that had delamination on the door side in 3 places, so eterniti either put a early 2013 side on it or they wasted there money.

Farmershands: Sorry dont agree with your comment and this is the reason why i havent posted here since the FB group was set up. You need to post informed comments backed up with an understanding of the product. My van does not and will not delaminate due to the change in design, has no issue with either weight or chassis including the axels or shocks and the slide out works perfectly and is completely dry along with the rest of the van. The only thing i have changed is the alarm system which continued to give false alarms but i think i am the only one in the group who has done this.

There were some issues with earlier vans which the owners have dealt with or are in the process of doing so, but anyone who went to look at these early models were told by Eterniti that the van was in its early stages, and they anticipated some problems. Unfortunatly the warrenty is no longer in force, but the owners have taken it on themselves to fix the problems rather than passing them on as there is still no other van like it on the market. Eterniti also learned the lessons from those early vans and as with delamination, changed the build process to eliminate the problems.

Those currenty for sale are ones left over from the sale of Eterniti, possibly taken in as part exchange and as posted before, if you are willing to do some work you will get a bargain. These were £28K new which gave a lot of van for the money and are now a limited market of around 150. Vans being sold in the future will have had all work carried out on them and so i think a bargain will become much harder to find.

Edited by Rob N Judith

Was the delamination mainly on the door side of the van or on both sides?

Well, I'm a member of the Facebook group. Yes there have been and are still issues with some of the van's, but it is the best van we have ever had. I agree with the positive comments on here, but assume the negative one are probably because you really want one. The one for sale with the delamination is a bargain if you want one, you will have to fix it, but I assume you wouldn't have a clue where to start! The Facebook group is ace, we share fixes we have done and support each other, not knock anyone or anything, so stop knocking something you cannot hope to own. I had mine on the car when I called in at our local caravan service centre yesterday and a couple asked if they could have a look in. When I put the slide out, out, they could not believe there eyes. Amazed is an understatement. As a group, together we have just about now got a fix for most things, so long live our special caravans as you may never see anymore of this type of van built again.

Its a shame you are in the position of having to support each other and deal with a new van issues without the support of a warranty but sure you will all continue to enjoy your vans.

Your attitude comes across as superior and is likely to win you no friends however.

I was a likely future customer of Eterniti once I'd seen how all the initial issues and teething problems and then how vans stood up reliability wise, which no one knows yet as they are all all too new. I liked the concept and was always supportive on the Eterniti threads but sadly as its turned out I am afraid those owners are now left with hugely devalued vans which isn't a problem if keeping long term but will be if you want to change (not meant with any malice, just stating the facts as I see them)

Hope you are able to contribute going forward,a s you very rightly say there is still a lot of interest in the vans themselves as they are lovely looking and well kitted out machines that is for sure. Inos is the closest we now have as a van with slide outs and they are much more expensive vans

I have only seen it on the door side, maybe the big cut out for the slide out took the stress out of that side. I have seen one with no rear door that had bad delamination in that area.

In my case it was difficult to see unless you were close to the van and looking along the side.

Ian

I have a factory reworked ib4 3013 which does not have any of the problems mentioned. I bought being fully aware of these problems and was confident that the issues had been addressed an d so they have. There are a few vans for sale at present but these are the ones which were to be reworked like mine was but they never got repaired The vans with low chassis weight are few and far between infact 11 off according to records some are FB owned but some are residual s of the auction less than 8 percent. I for one don't believe that money is an issue here as i know of several recent purchases. ....It is not generally thought to be an issue with the owners in the main either as far as i am aware and I don't think the majority of owners even consider residual value. I know that I don't. after all its only a caravan and a bloody good one at that. The fact is you either have one or you don't . The only people that seem to make issue with them are those who don't. Make of that what you will but they are here to stay and those who have them really dont want anything else its as simple as that

• Like 2

I am not superior at all and have many friends on the Facebook page. I have much knowledge of the chassis, as I've changed 2 of them. These vans with a Facebook team effort. ...... our only warranty has gone, but our team have and are still sharing there knowledge is the way we will ensure these vans keep on the road. I am currently carrying out lots of work on ours, as others are, we as stated are sharing our experiences. This makes us stronger. Sorry you did not get one, but there are some for sale if you want one. Happy hunting.

I think as a group of owners we have a much better understanding of the construction and build of our vans than others. This was essential as the demise of Eterniti as a business meant that we had no warrenties to fall back on.

The FB group that is mentioned on here has been a lifeline for owners and has also led to arranged meetings between owners where we are able to look at the modifications made to our vans. The loss of the warrenty has also allowed us to basically do what we want with the vans as there is no fear of invalidation as would normally be the case with a van in its first 3 - 6 years.

Stephen has a technical knowledge of the chassis that i am sure would be willing to share to provide guidance for those interested in the vans. As owners we are i believe in a unique position to provide answers to questions people may have as we have communication with over 90 other owners and also that of those like Stephen who have undertaken work normally only carried out by dealers or manufacturers. We are not intending be be seeen as highbrow, but would like to be able to put the correct information out there for those who have a genuine interest and those who may also be looking to buy.

I think as a group of owners we have a much better understanding of the construction and build of our vans than others. This was essential as the demise of Eterniti as a business meant that we had no warrenties to fall back on.

The FB group that is mentioned on here has been a lifeline for owners and has also led to arranged meetings between owners where we are able to look at the modifications made to our vans. The loss of the warrenty has also allowed us to basically do what we want with the vans as there is no fear of invalidation as would normally be the case with a van in its first 3 - 6 years.

Stephen has a technical knowledge of the chassis that i am sure would be willing to share to provide guidance for those interested in the vans. As owners we are i believe in a unique position to provide answers to questions people may have as we have communication with over 90 other owners and also that of those like Stephen who have undertaken work normally only carried out by dealers or manufacturers. We are not intending be be seeen as highbrow, but would like to be able to put the correct information out there for those who have a genuine interest and those who may also be looking to buy.

Really good explanation, well written post.

Please let Stephen know he's welcome to join Caravan Talk as a Trade member if he wishes to share his advice with a wider audience :)

I am not superior at all and have many friends on the Facebook page. I have much knowledge of the chassis, as I've changed 2 of them. These vans with a Facebook team effort. ...... our only warranty has gone, but our team have and are still sharing there knowledge is the way we will ensure these vans keep on the road. I am currently carrying out lots of work on ours, as others are, we as stated are sharing our experiences. This makes us stronger. Sorry you did not get one, but there are some for sale if you want one. Happy hunting.

Stephen I have no doubt as to the camaraderie and spirit that all Eterniti owners now share on the FB page and I think this must be a great resource and of comfort to the 150 people with said vans and as I said I hope you are able to contribute to this and the FB page going forward.

My only point for posting to your post was it shows how the written word in posts can be taken the wrong way ("can never hope to own one")

However welcome to the board and look forward to your ongoing contributions on all things caravanning :)

• Like 2

Mine is new for old and the new means replacement value not current value.

Slide out parts available from Calder Leisure just outside Edinburgh as they use them on their 5th wheels.

My slide out has been completely dry.

Ian

The parts from the US make no difference if you or Alex order them they still cost .

Check on Ebay a 30 quid part will cost about 200 in most cases to get here with shipping and Import duty and VAT

Owning a A US RV is for love if you a are worried about cost it's not for you.

Dave

Being new to the caravan world I must admit they do look rather nice. Certainly my wife would be interested

Shame they could not make it work as I would have possibly looked at one of these when we decided it was time for a change. But since they are no longer made, I will possibly be looking at the Inos caravan from the 5th wheel company as it appears to be very similar

The parts from the US make no difference if you or Alex order them they still cost .

Check on Ebay a 30 quid part will cost about 200 in most cases to get here with shipping and Import duty and VAT

Owning a A US RV is for love if you a are worried about cost it's not for you.

Dave.

I am confused by your post as it could read that you were saying Eterniti was a US RV product.

Eterniti were a Uk company with UK fittings an therefore apart from the slide out which was a US design there would be no additional costs associated with owning one than any other UK caravan. For example, hearing is Alde, water system Whale and toilet is Truma, fridge is Dometic, chassis BPW (admittedly German but used in the UK) and so on. ...This has been posted on here a number of times. The slideout US components consist of slide out motors and track, seals and rollers. Other than that it is a box. As Ian posted recently, these do not need ot be imported from the US as they are available in the UK from suppliers so therrefore no import costs.

I do agree that there may be an additional cost if buying a US RV or caravan, but that is not the case with Eterniti. They were very much a UK company using predominately UK standard parts.

I have only seen it on the door side, maybe the big cut out for the slide out took the stress out of that side. I have seen one with no rear door that had bad delamination in that area.

In my case it was difficult to see unless you were close to the van and looking along the side.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Yes you are right, my August 2013 IB4 has just started to delaminate in three small places on the door side about the size of a tea plate but nothing on the slideout side. I have just noticed them this week. I thought that I had got away with it with a later van but it seems not. The only problem that I am left with now is a leaking slide out but Steve is coming down to me in July and seems confident that he can fix it. I am fed up with having to carry a pair of tall steps and a squeege around with me to clear all the water of the roof of the slide out before I can move it back in. But it is still a graet van.

I am confused by your post as it could read that you were saying Eterniti was a US RV product.

Eterniti were a Uk company with UK fittings an therefore apart from the slide out which was a US design there would be no additional costs associated with owning one than any other UK caravan. For example, hearing is Alde, water system Whale and toilet is Truma, fridge is Dometic, chassis BPW (admittedly German but used in the UK) and so on. ...This has been posted on here a number of times. The slideout US components consist of slide out motors and track, seals and rollers. Other than that it is a box. As Ian posted recently, these do not need ot be imported from the US as they are available in the UK from suppliers so therrefore no import costs.

I do agree that there may be an additional cost if buying a US RV or caravan, but that is not the case with Eterniti. They were very much a UK company using predominately UK standard parts.

Alex at Caulder leisure are only importers not manufacturers. They have all their units made in the US by Allan manufacturing . The son sells cars and the daughter handle the racing car side of the business from the same site.

US components need importing.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I do not own one but always liked them and wanted to buy in the future, as I see it there is only one issue with any van that can be very expensive is water ingress over time. That means for Eternity vans a regular check around windows, doors, roof lights etc as if caught early a simple cheap repair. so, I agree with the owners that nearly everything is fixable on them and if you are good with your hands relatively easy to fix, even the slide out!

Importing parts from the States is not had bad/expensive has it use to be and i should know has i have owned American trucks for 18 years now and imported many items large or small .

With Eterniti going belly up has now made a market for someone to import large amount of spares for these vans thus keeping costs down a wee bit by shipping large orders.

There are already many importers shipping a lot of parts over now for RVs and ready for dispatch next day here so i would not be worried about parts .

Ste

Hello Ian,

Yes you are right, my August 2013 IB4 has just started to delaminate in three small places on the door side about the size of a tea plate but nothing on the slideout side. I have just noticed them this week. I thought that I had got away with it with a later van but it seems not. The only problem that I am left with now is a leaking slide out but Steve is coming down to me in July and seems confident that he can fix it. I am fed up with having to carry a pair of tall steps and a squeege around with me to clear all the water of the roof of the slide out before I can move it back in. But it is still a graet van.

Hi twohoots113

I did not have a problem with water on the slide out, if there was any I just lifted the front of the van on the jockey wheel, but did collect a lot of leaves and twigs. When me met up at Bo Peep one owner had a canopy over the slide out which he had made. A lot of us were impressed and ordered them £100 inc postage. Slips in the awning rail and straps under the slide out. There are pictures on FB.

Ian

Hi twohoots113

I did not have a problem with water on the slide out, if there was any I just lifted the front of the van on the jockey wheel, but did collect a lot of leaves and twigs. When me met up at Bo Peep one owner had a canopy over the slide out which he had made. A lot of us were impressed and ordered them £100 inc postage. Slips in the awning rail and straps under the slide out. There are pictures on FB.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Unfortunately we were unable to come to the Bo Peep meet on 12 and 13 April so I didn't see the canopy and unfortunately I am not on FB. I too had thought of the canopy idea over the slide out. £100 seems to be very good value to me. Do you by chance know the name of the company that made it.

I must admit Eternity vans do look fantastic, I have no doubt that someone in the future will blow the dust of Eternity's ideas and will try again with slide outs.

I for one would love an Eternity, but I just don't think my pockets are deep enough. Good luck to all you Eternity owners out there I hope that your vans give you many years of pleasure.

• Like 2

well, some good posts on here. I have ben in engineering all my life, with management teams who always saw a problem as an opportunity! The chassis changes were carried out at John Coopers in Scunthorpe, mine was done first, then another owners. I assisted in both changes, as you can imagine, holding 2 tonnes in the air is not easy to work underneath it. Lots of thought and thinking at each stage has now led to a good procedure for changing them. Whether I get involved with another, time will tell, but I have the Eterniti Caravans at heart. Ours has been a pain, but as stated earlier, we can now do as we like and share what we have done. I have been working on ours for a week now, nearly completed our 5 star hotel room. I am confident it will now last a lifetime and still love it to bits. Don't care what happens to it as we have all the help in our team on Facebook. Wish all caravaner's all the best.

• Like 4

Somewhat off topic but I drove past my first Eterniti in the flesh yesterday on the outskirts of Leeds and really liked the look of it - they are a head-turning van and I'll be casting all sorts of envious glances should I ever see one on site. Such a shame they coudn't have continued and succeeded.

• Like 2

well, some good posts on here. I have ben in engineering all my life, with management teams who always saw a problem as an opportunity! The chassis changes were carried out at John Coopers in Scunthorpe, mine was done first, then another owners. I assisted in both changes, as you can imagine, holding 2 tonnes in the air is not easy to work underneath it. Lots of thought and thinking at each stage has now led to a good procedure for changing them. Whether I get involved with another, time will tell, but I have the Eterniti Caravans at heart. Ours has been a pain, but as stated earlier, we can now do as we like and share what we have done. I have been working on ours for a week now, nearly completed our 5 star hotel room. I am confident it will now last a lifetime and still love it to bits. Don't care what happens to it as we have all the help in our team on Facebook. Wish all caravaner's all the best.

Can you explain what changes have been made to the chassis and as to why the changes have been necessary out of interest.

Thanks

Mike