Propane V Butane

Disco Kid

This is probably aimed at Tradetech, but any gen will be welcome . .

I am thoroughly teed off with these 7kg butane gas bottles . . barely enough gas in them to power a clock . . such a small evaporation area that in even only cool weather they stop giving gas (this is accentuated by the gas lockers on modern vans not letting enough ambient air in to heat to the bottle(especially on the Avondale that we had)) so I am thinking of going propane (13 kg) which previously I only used (in the 47kg cylinders) while living in the van for two and a half years until we could move into the house. I have enough room in the front locker to carry the bigger bottle, and the spare noseweight maybe for two of em.

but

I have always understood that propane has a lower latent heat than butane . . so ? more gas used for the same amount of heat?

One dealer told me that propane actually burns hotter than butane, and will tend to damage the thermo couples. anybody else heard that?

So,

which gas and what size do you use, and what are the pro's & con's

I like the clip on butane connector . . dont really want to be fiddling with spanners to change the cylinder . .

Is anybody using an auto switch over, maybe one propane one butane . .?

opinions & experiences please

Edited by Moderator to enlarge typeface

I use Propane (6 kg), and have found that on average they last up to 21 days on non-electric rallies. Be aware that 13 kg size bottles have nowhere to properly fit in a tourer, and also that some sites do not like bottles outside.

I use Propane (6 kg), and have found that on average they last up to 21 days on non-electric rallies.   Be aware that 13 kg size bottles have nowhere to properly fit in a tourer, and also that some sites do not like bottles outside.

5936[/snapback]

I use 6kg propane - and have an automatic changeover valve - lasts pretty well - and yes I think it does burn hotten than butane - certainly I can cook faster with it - and it heats the van very well. I carry two bottles in the front locker and always carry a spare in the car. Plus of course it doesnt freeze in the winter like butane tends to do.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Be aware that 13 kg size bottles have nowhere to properly fit in a tourer, and also that some sites do not like bottles outside.

5936[/snapback]

They will fit in the Compass . . (would not have fitted in the Avondale of course) . . just got to modify the restraint a little . .

Guest john1215

I don't feel that the "lower latent heat" is a real problem, propane just works better in cold conditions, you may as well just change over to propane in autumn until mid march/april then if it suits, change back to butane for summer. It sounds like a lot of messing about, but you'll probabably use more gas in summer ** than winter so shouldn't lose out too much.

**Assumes you are more of a summer vanner than winter.

john1215

We swapped our butane for propane as it gives the flexibility of using it all year. We only carry 1 X 6kgs bottle as we only go to sites with electrics. Can't say I have noticed any difference between the two types of gas. We have a Gasflow meter attached to give us an idea when it is running low. I expect I return more gas to Calor as I always swap before I go abroad.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

We run with 2x6kg Propane bottles each fitted with Gaslow regulators connected by tee-piece to the caravan system. We made the decison to go Propane after having temperature problems with Butane on the previous van. :)

Frank

Do not lay any bottles down on their side . ..............

6002[/snapback]

Should have made my self more clear, that only bottles to be laid down are the ones with special valves designed for fork lift trucks

Hi

we carry two 4. 5kg bottles of butane i can't say we have ever had any problems with the heat up of butane or lacking in pressure, we have never really

caravaned past the start of december but is was very chilly out side then but we

didn't get any problems with freezing i don't know if i was just lucky or if its reasonably well insulated in the front locker of my van, i know they are smallish

sized bottles but we always go on sites with electric hook up and also use a microwave as well so they seem to last for age's. I do like the idea you mentioned

of a instant change over system because reaching in the front locker and scuffing

the knuckles has happened before.

Sorry folks missed this one, i think most things have been said, just a quick point , when the likes of Carver and Truma were developing their products they were designed to run with propane, but having said that they run on butane just as well , the calorific value of propane is higher than butane, so i would stick with the red bottle . Ste ;)

The only downside is that propane is more expensive, but as I am normally on an electric site, use of gas is minimal so I use propane all year round.

Brian

I am thoroughly teed off with these 7kg butane gas bottles . . barely enough gas in them to power a clock . . such a small evaporation area that in even only cool weather they stop giving gas (this is accentuated by the gas lockers on modern vans not letting enough ambient air in to heat to the bottle(especially on the Avondale that we had)) so I am thinking of going propane (13 kg) which previously I only used (in the 47kg cylinders) while living in the van for two and a half years until we could move into the house.   I have enough room in the front locker to carry the bigger bottle, and  the spare noseweight maybe for two of em.

but . .......

Hi - Most of what is needed to be said has already been said. I have only been caravanning since 1970 and have never once had any objection to having a propane bottle outside the 'van. I use 13kg bottles, I always carry two 13kg bottles and one 6kg propane as we often are on sites where there is no electric hook up, we put the 6kg propane in the gas locker for travelling so we can pull up where ever is convenient and turn on the gas and make a cupper. When on site I connect to the 13kg bottle, it only takes but a couple of minutes to change over unless one is bone idle and lazy in which case they should be in a hotel rather than a caravan. The cost of refilling a 6kg propane is a few coppers over £12. 00 but hey there, the cost to refill a 13kg propane is a few coppers over, wait for it, £15. 00 so it does not take to many brains to work out that for a little over £3. 00 you have an extra wopping 7kg of propane more!!!!!

I and thousands of caravanners have been doing this for years and it is perfectly 100% safe unless of course you get a brainless idiot as I have witnessed twice, one only did the connection nut up finger tight and wondered why he could still smell gas!!! and another was using a butane hose to connect his propane bottle and had just pushed the hose on the regulator with no jubilee clip!!

It hasn't been mentioned that you must use a propane hose due to the higher pressure and the connection is a left hand thread into the bottle. Caravans manufactured after 2004 have the new type regulator rated at 30mb as standard for both propane and butane, it just requires a different pigtail (hose) dependant on the gas which you intend using.

If you cannot be bothered fiddling with one spanner then perhaps you should stick with butane and only caravan in the Summer and take to hotels in the winter.

Have fun whatever you do - ttfn

We decided to change from butane to propane when we got our new van. We currently carry 2 x 6kg in the front locker. We did look at using 13kg but this would not give us a satisfactory noseweight.

We swopped our 7kg butane for 6kg propane no problem.

I asked the man at our local Calor depot why the price of a 6kg is almost the same as a 13kg, but he had no suitable answer apart from being good business.

We will be using the new van all year round and most of the time we will be using electric hook ups so only using the gas for cooking.

There are probable many pros and cons for each type, but we decided after spending over £10,000 on a van and accessories etc worrying about saving a few pence here and swapping over different botttles was not worth the effort. We are happy that we can use the van all year with no worries.

Regards

Trevor

We decided to change from butane to propane when we got our new van.   We currently carry 2 x 6kg in the front locker.   We did look at using 13kg but  this would not give us a satisfactory noseweight.

Hi - I transport my 13kg propane bottles in the back of our Freelander with an LPG sticker on the rear door, hence no worries with noseweight. 13kg bottles will not fit in our gas locker anyway. I'm lucky because the nose weight on the Freelander's tow ball is 140kg's.

Happy caravanning to all.

So good old propane is this weeks Chelsea !

Works anytime everytime, 6kg bottles suit both front lockers and cars, the price difference with butane is worth worrying about, ten years usage and it hasn't burnt out my thermocouples yet.

Big selection at the supermarkets in France for your long holiday trip.

No contest.

Happy cooking and (h)eating TrevorM

I carry 2 bottles in my front locker, 1 butane and 1 propane, going to a manual changeover valve

In winter its 2x13kgs, in summer its 2x6kgs (I know theres a difference in weight between propane and butane)

Another point to note, if you have an LPG sticker on your car, for when you carry bottles in it, I hope you cover it up when your NOT carrying bottles in it

Another point to note, if you have an LPG sticker on your car, for when you carry bottles in it, I hope you cover it up when your NOT carrying bottles in it

Right first time, I would not risk anyone from the emergency service's, heaven forbid, looking for something that is not present.

One has to be more concerned wth the many, many people who DO carry LPG in their veichles WITHOUT any warning on their veichle. I have seen this time and again over the last 35 year's or so.

Happy and safe caravanning to all

Hi - I transport my 13kg propane bottles in the back of our Freelander with an LPG sticker on the rear door, hence no worries with noseweight. 13kg bottles will not fit in our gas locker anyway. I'm lucky because the nose weight on the Freelander's tow ball is 140kg's.

Happy caravanning to all.

6120[/snapback]

I bet the noseweight on the 'van isn't 140kg.

Mike

Archived