Sign in to follow this  
JCloughie

Wheel Detachment!

Type Approval is EU wide. National variations are derogations which are included within the t/a or are not specified within t/a but permitted under national legislation and used within the EU under the Vienna Agreement. .

Countries can have different/unique regulations outside Type Approval.

We'd still need to allow foreign-registered cars to visit here for up to 6 months but legally we could have additional requirements for UK-registered vehicles - just that in this case it would achieve little.

Edited by Black Grouse

Personally, I don't think the government should have allowed vehicles to be designed without a full sized spare wheel being legally required as standard equipment.

Well said that man!

I personally will only buy cars with a full-size spare - but whether that's standard or optional at extra cost doesn't matter as I simply adjust the comparison price

Here Here!

I first came across the type-approved situation after I bought (new) my first Touran, fitted with tow bar by dealership, and found that there was no dedicated visual or audible warning signal for the operation of the trailer indicators. Everyone was telling me that my vehicle was illegal, and an enquiry at the police station simply brought, "if we catch you breaking the law we will prosecute" - no apparent knowledge or interest about my problem.

So I contacted the Ministry for Transport, and they were more positive. They explained that, type approval (in this case only relying on the general bulb failure light on the dash, which includes the trailer) by one EU member state makes it legally acceptable in all other EU member states. They even sent me a letter of confirmation, which is filed away somewhere in my car documentation folder.

The wording of the UK requirement for warning of incorrect operation allows either 1) audible/visual warning of correct operation or 2) audible/visual warning of incorrect operation - there was never simply a requirement to indicate correct operation but originally it was the only way to do it.

EU regulations changed nothing in this respect.

Dreadly, when I had the 7-seat Touran I used to carry a full sized spare in the luggage compartment. I don't think a space-saver wheel is safe when towing a caravan. The tin of gunge that came with the 7-seater had a shelf life of 4 years, and cost over £40 to replace.

The thing that prompted me to carry the spare was because we use Red Pennant cover when we go to France. They advised me that, if a serviceable spare was not on board and we required assistance for a puncture, a £100 surcharge would apply. I've had very few punctures over the years - I replace my tyres when the tread depth reaches 3mm - but you can still be unlucky. About 4 years ago, on our way to France and with new tyres fitted, I picked up a nail which produced a slow deflation. Fortunately, we had stopped overnight at the Morn Hill C. C. site where I spotted the tyre having low pressure and was able to get it to the Winchester VW garage for repair in time to catch the ferry.

Personally, I don't think the government should have allowed vehicles to be designed without a full sized spare wheel being legally required as standard equipment.

Every now and again I get a hire-car that is VW based. ... Sometimes the bloomin tyre gunge kits get all mixed up. I'm not sure how :o However, whatever has occurred, mine appears to have plenty of life left in it :unsure::ph34r:

I do sort of agree though. I would not go for a 5 seater just to have a spare tyre though.

The wording of the UK requirement for warning of incorrect operation allows either 1) audible/visual warning of correct operation or 2) audible/visual warning of incorrect operation - there was never simply a requirement to indicate correct operation but originally it was the only way to do it.

EU regulations changed nothing in this respect.

Yes it did - the type approving did, as clearly confirmed by the Ministry for transport. Prior to this, the way my trailer indicators are monitored would have been illegal.

I would not go for a 5 seater just to have a spare tyre though.

We are just two oldies - the second row of three seats are rarely used - for us a 7-seater is a complete waste of good space. I also wonder if there is any insurance premium difference between 5 and 7 seats? - probably wouldn't be much though, If any difference at all.