Main Car For Towing Or 2nd Car

DAVYPLAN

OK so here's the problem. Currently have a 2. 0 petrol trajet and ace jubilee courier. About 82% weight match and have towed about 300 miles so far. Stable but VERY marginal on power and struggles on hills.

Before people jump in with towcar recomendations here's my actual problem. I use the car for work (approx 12,000 miles per year, paid in pence per mile.) plus 6000 or so personal use. My wife has an old deawoo only does 3000 or so a year. I've looked at all the options for changing my car but it's really difficult to find a car that weighs over 1800kg, pulls well, is quiet enough for lots of motorway work (160mile round trip once or twice a week). and reasonably fuel efficient.

The only other option we can see is to keep my trajet and get a old 4x4 or similar to tow with and just use it for about 5000miles a year. But can it be justified to keep say a 10year old disco or pajero on the road for 1500miles of towing plus the typical second car usage ??

Have any of you had the same conundrum? Is it reasonable to assume that because we'll only put 5k on the 4x4 the running costs/liability will be much much lower ?

Any help very much appreciated as we're going round in circles and need to do something before we go to the peak district this summer.

Thanks

We had the problem of making a similar decision when we discovered the newly aquired C5 auto which we purchased was not suitable for towing our van, we decided to change the car for Kia Sedona which covers everything we need eg Towing, carrying musical gear for work, and general use, we estimate we are getting 40 - 41 mpg combined. Not sure about mpg when towing as we haven't done a great deal since getting it. We are pleased with the car it will never be as responsive as the C5 but at least we will only have one lot of repairs/tax etc and it does everything we require from it, and can tow upto 2000kg. Good luck on finding a solution.

Same predicament.

Bought a Frontera 2. 2 DTI. Gives me 35 mpg, selectable 2/4 wheel drive, quiet and steady and i do around 400 miles a week.

I work on the principle that with 10k plus ov van, plus equipment on the back i do not want to make savings in choice of car IF anything went wrong at 60 on motorway, i wanna know i have some kind of vehicle to help me if needed.

The frontera does it all for me, and gets looked after like it should, despite mileage.

We use a punto diesel for blipping round town.

Its horses for courses really, but if i ever have to hit the middle pedal i wanna hope what ive got can do its job and keep me and my family in one piece.

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Dealing with a similar dilema ourselves. My works car (Mazda 6 Estate diesel) is a very capable tow car and my wife also runs a Deawoo that covers 3000 miles a year, however I would very much like to tow with a 4X4. The Mazda will be replaced later this year but I can't decide if I should go for a 4X4 for the company vehicle or change my wifes car to a 4X4. If I choose a 4X4 on the company then I'll pay a penalty on my mileage allowance, since I get a fixed 13p per mile for company miles and covering about 30k miles a year then that will be a lot of miles at low mpg. Where if we replace my wifes car with 4X4 (it would have to be an older one) it would only be covering about 6k miles (3k shopping 3k towing) a year at low mpg, I could then choose a company vehicle that maximised mpg and perhaps come out ahead. So the question is about the running costs (reliabilty) of running an older 4X4. I must admit to being tempted by some of the Japanese imports, seems thers a lot of choice in the £5-8k price range. There's no doubt that the Kia Sorento is an excellent car if the posts on here are anything to go by, but s/h prices aren't low enough to put them in the running just yet. so what's the feeling on running a less expensive 4X4?

jeta1 - Yes it does sound like you have the same problem as us though mine is a private car not company, get 45p a mile plus small allowance, my plan is to be ahead overall by the end of next year. (I know I should be grateful for free motoring on one car, but don't want to ruin my master plan by tradein costs and high fuel costs.)

I went for a test drive in a Sedona this afternoon as it seemed the logical choice to go from a Trajet to a Sedona (both MPVs but sedona much more power). Just my opinion but I'd decided against it before getting out of the carpark. Poor visibility as I'm 6ft4 and visor was always in line of sight, bad driving position (just me I guess) but worse of all stearing requires loads of wheel turning, would be a lot of work reversing etc.

Considering taking some other actions on current car such as removing bike racks and possibly chipping the engine. Any thoughts anyone ?

Similar to others on this thread, looking to change, we both have Toyota's ( wife Yaris and me Corolla Verso ) very happy indeed with Toyota, in every way, we have complete package from car/service/breakdown/insurance with Toyota the whole hog, very reliable and economically sound, dealership is brilliant, but would like a bit more in the car for towing, anyone use a RAV4 ? we would appreciate your comments.

I was chatting with a none caravan friend last night he suggested looking slightly away from main stream 4X4. I am quite familiar with Jeeps (having lived in USA fro 3 years) but somehow they had not got on my radar for this conversation. Did some surfing on autotrader and found this JEEP

apparently the Orvis model is top spec, loooking at the price this is a lot of car for the money, and for 6-7k miles per year might make sense. ..........OOOps link didn't work but look down the page to the W reg at £3995

Edited by jetA1

the sun just came out from behind the clouds :blink:

theres two Kia's I get mixed up with

SEDONA and SORRENTO

Sedona looks huge Sorrento is 4wd

Sedona best towcar but Sorrento is 4x4. ...... comments please ?

the sun just came out from behind the clouds :blink:

theres two Kia's I get mixed up with

SEDONA and SORRENTO

Sedona looks huge Sorrento is 4wd

Sedona best towcar but Sorrento is 4x4. ...... comments please ?

Hi

The Sedona is a full size MPV and will seat 7. I cannot comment on how it drives or tows as I have never driven one.

The Sorento is the Caravan Club towcar of the year and is a full size 4x4. We have just bought a Sorento XT auto and having towed the caravan to the dealer with it (about 40 miles each way) for some warranty work I can honestly say that it is a brilliant towcar. The Grand Voyager (which is an MPV like the Sedona) is an excellent tow car but in my opinion (albeit based on a short journey but one with different types of roads - motorway, side roads and a relatively steep long climb) the Sorento is better.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Richard

I own a Sedona (auto 2. 9 tdi) and have only just started towing a caravan, I have to say the Sedona preformed brilliantly on our trip this week, I often found myself having to watch the speedo.

We put £58. 00 worth of diesel in when we left Mansfield, travelled to Caister on Sea (Yarmouth) used it all week and travelled back covering approx 500 miles and I still have fuel left.

Space inside them is great with plenty of room to seat seven.

• 1 month later...

Had a similar problem earlier this year. Main car does about 8k per year and is used for towing the van. Second car was a small economical Nissan Almera, which the family would learn to drive in. Son goes to uni and does not want to learn to drive yet. I decided to sell the Almera and buy a 4X4 for everyday use and to tow the van.

I bought a M reg Pajero which was a direct Japanese import for £4000. It was immaculate inside and out, with only 53k on the clock. It tows the van brilliantly, has plenty of space for all the family and the dog but the most important thing is that is is great fun to drive. I tend to choose it over my other car just for the fun factor. I have never regreted buying it, parts are easy to get, tyres are not too expensive, insurance not too bad and it has loads of goodies.

Mpg is about 25 solo and 20ish towing - but that is outweighed by the sheer pleasure of driving it. :D

Difficult question this one - and one which I shall face early in the new year, too!

We both have 4x4's at the moment. Mine, the Honda CRV and hers, the Kia Sportage. We use both to tow the 'van at the moment. New caravan arriving in September has the same weights as the old one, so at least that does not make it any more complicated!

My CRV is a lease car and is due for renewal in May 07 - I have to make my choice however, in Jan - Feb 07. Due to work commitments, the CRV does about 15000 miles per annum and the Kia about 8000 miles. Both are manual petrol models and neither are particulaly cheap in the juice direction.

At the moment I cannot make my mind up - do I lease something like an A Class Mercedes or new Zafira, C Max etc to replace the CRV and use the Sportage for towing duties, or lease another 4x4, like a Sorento diesel or X Trail diesel, and carry on as we are. .................by the way, the CRV diesel is out of the running - the lease costs are just too high to even contemplate.

Just wish I didn't like driving 4x4's so much. ..........and I have particulaly enjoyed the CRV! :(

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'