Window Blinds

artes

The tension on my 2004 Baily ranger front window as gone (the window is the full width of the Van) The dealer says it is not covered under the waranty as it is classed as fair ware & tear. He wants £30 plus vat to fix it. Is it possible to DIY it? I have tred adjusting it with the scew at the side but it just flips back. Any advise would be most welcome.

The tension on my 2004 Baily ranger front window as gone (the window is the full width of the Van) The dealer says it is not covered under the waranty as it is classed as fair ware & tear. He wants £30 plus vat to fix it. Is it possible to DIY it? I have tred adjusting it with the scew at the side but it just flips back. Any advise would be most welcome.

After turning the screw to the desired tension, slowly release the pressure on the screw as you bring your screwdriver away from the screw - this allows the pawl to re-engage the ratchet which then locks your new setting into position.

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Just a thought, do you when storing the van keep all the blinds down ? iv'e been told this is very bad for the spring system in the blinds because it weakens them, we draw all the curtains when storing the van, but many on the storage facility where we keep our van use their blinds and the vans are probably left for weeks at a time.

Steve has given you good advise A bailey caravan techi showed me how to do it .

Just a thought but dont leave the blinds down with the spring in tension as this weakens the springs .

I have cut cardboard to the window sizes to eliminate sun shine fading the upolstery. most stores will gladly give you cardboard packaging Coljac

Steve

Did as you suggested but when I'm almost there it springs back.

Any idea how I can remove the blind from the caravan? there is a screw at the bottom of each side chanel. but when I remove these it still won't come away . It seams as if it is glued on.

cheers

Hi Artes

First of all I must say that your dealer is being a little unfair with their assessment of wear and tear especially if this is the first time a retensioning has been attempted.

However if the spring is suffering from "spring fatigue" as suggested there should be enough latitude in the adjustment mechanism to bring it back to a satisfactory tension providing the whole assembly is freely moving and not jammed up elsewhere which could be leading you to a false conclusion. You can check this when the spring tension is completely unwound, the blind should be able to turn on its mountings with very little resistance at all.

If you're not sure its best not to remove the blind from its mounting - it could make matters worse for you as they can be tricky to reassemble.

Steve

Followed the advice given for adjusting the springs on our Bailey blinds, perfect, thanks very much. However on one (grankids!) there is a bit of plastic cord(?) hanging down on the right hand side which is creasing the material when blind is lowered. Is their anything I can do about this?

Thanks in anticipation.

there is a bit of plastic cord(?) hanging down on the right hand side which is creasing the material when blind is lowered

Not sure what to suggest here as not familiar with this type of blind - any chance of taking a pic - glad you were able to sort out the others :)

Steve

Followed the advice given for adjusting the springs on our Bailey blinds, perfect, thanks very much. However on one (grankids!) there is a bit of plastic cord(?) hanging down on the right hand side which is creasing the material when blind is lowered. Is their anything I can do about this?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ihad this on my blinds, and can happily report that it is not terminal !! :)

Basically what you can see is a long bit of circular plastic that holds the material into a slot on the roller that the blind sits on, there are a couple of ways to fix depending on your confidence levels, the easiest way is to remove the blind, to do this remove the two screws from the bottom of the side guides, these should now pull free from the blind, once done there are 2 screws securing the blind to the wall, remove the blind from the wall and turn to face you, you should now be able to see two rollers, the flyscreen is the nearest of the two, pull that out from the housing by pushing towards the right, and pulling, then you should be able to see the silver blind. leave this in place but pull all the blind out as if using it in the window, once at full extension you should be able to see the plastic and the slot it should sit in, slide it back in until neither end can be seen, then reinstall the flyscreen and re attach to the wall in the reverse of the removal.

the second method is leave the blind in place on the van, pull the blind to full extension, bu locking in the track and then pulling the remainder down, I have then managed to use a small bladed screwdriver to push the plastic back into the slot, not easy, but do-able. ...

Of the two I prefered the first method, because it also allowed me to retension the blinds more easily. .... but it is a little more work. .....

When you consider the time taken you can begin to see why it would be £30 to do it!!! but be brave and have a go, its easy enough. ..

Hope this helps,

Mike

I don't think some dealers have heard of customer care and goodwill. Do they not realise that a little bit of TLC goes a long way and encourages customer loyalty. A friend had theirs re-tentioned by Barrons but it came undone again. When informed they ordered a new on straight away under warranty.

Archived