Does anyone know much about wind turbines/generators as a means of battery charging?

Looking at the prices, ive found a brand new unit from a reputable supplier which, with charge controller, comes in at around £260. Thats a comparable figure against a solar panel for example, but how good are these wind generators?These are some basic figures for it:

Trickle charges in windspeeds as low as 5 Knots.

Produces up to 80watts.

Output nominally 1. 2A @ 12V at 15 Knots.

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Hi Brassneck,I did look at wind gennys on one of my homework tasks but went down the solar panel line instead(polycrystaline type).I found a 40watt panel with charge controller for a third of the price,did see a wind genny on a vehicle at easter on a rally at a school but the building sheltered it and I never saw it working all weekend. The upside to these are if you are in the open they work all the time but if it gets to windy you have to take it down. A polycrystaline panel will work in all light(I've seen mine charging in moonlight)at a budget price and you don't have to take it down in bad weather(could be fixed to van roof).Hope this helps. Waggi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brassneck

Sorry for the late reply meant o do it the other day but hen went away and forgot but just found it again so,

My mate and myself have been looking at these not purchased one yet though I think we are waiting till later in the season as we seem to be managing on out 110amp battery for at least 4 days at the moment so don’t need to boost it but I think they are a great idea I presume that it is the Rutland 503 that you have been looking at like you the only info that I know already but my friend saw a guy with one caravanning near where we live he was just on the edge off a farmers field as he was up hear helping his daughter decorate her house but he told my mate hat it was excellent and that he would not go away without it my mate also said that when he was stud right underneath it there was no noise at all from it at all.

The other reasons that I like them is that once you have bought it there is no running costs and it will work 24/7 as long as there is a slight breeze.

Regards

JON

. ............. right underneath it there was no noise at all from it at all.

The other reasons that I like them is that once you have bought it there is no running costs and it will work 24/7 as long as there is a slight breeze.

Regards

JON

Thanks guys.

Jon im at pretty much the same conclusion as you have written above.

And yes the Rutland 503 is what im looking at.

In Consilio Sapienta

• 2 weeks later...

I too was looking at the idea of a wind turbine. Investgating the cost of the Rutland 503, it would have cost about £250 for the turbine,about £90 for the pole,(rutland pole that is) and a variable price for some sort of regulator (a must unfortunately). This works out to approx £400. How many 110ah batteries can you buy for that,(approx £40) that should last for approx 2 wks on full charge and about a 3-5yrs life. 30 - 50 years

I priced up a rutland 503 and could get it with a pole and charge controller for around £270.

And the battery/cost issue isnt quite the point. I was looking at a clean effective quiet way of recharging the battery.

So i dont have to hump 50 batteries round with me on a week or two away.

In Consilio Sapienta

Brassneck

I to was thing down this route & ended up with a Solar Panel 80 Watt, the main thing with a wind turbine is it has to have clean air. IE no buildings trees & some times other caravans can affect it if your in an open field then it will go but if your sheltered by trees forget it even a couple of 100 yards away can stop them working. I /we was in New Forest middle of Denny Wood last year & there was a Motor caravan there with one & he was parked 300mtr away from the nearest tree & for the full 2 weeks I NEVER saw it turn once but please don’t let my comments stop you or any one else from getting one as there quite good if your in an open field & yes it will do what it says on the box but if your sheltered forget it you will be lucky to see it turn.

Alan