Sign in to follow this  
minibreakdown

Would You Buy A Caravan With This Damage

Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me. ...

As per my introduction post what I know about caravans you can write on the back of a postage stamp so I asking you knowledgeable people a possible very simple question.

I live in France and am looking at buying my first caravan. whilst searching the net in France I have come across a 2007 hobby excelsior twin axle, exact size to be established, perhaps, for €4800.

The advert said there was some damage to the front right corner so I requested more pictures, especially of the damage as I live about 4 hours away from the seller.

I know the caravan is cheap and part of the reason is it has not been registered in France by it's current owner and now I see the damage I know the other reason.

My basic question is and I know it may be impossible to give a 100% answer but I'm going to ask anyway.

With the asking price being low is the caravan worth repairing or would the cost of repairs make it unfeasible to get done? Knowing that water ingress/damp is one of a caravans biggest problems. I am in the process of buying a damp meter but don't think I'll need it for this one.

post-67723-0-25691500-1400910521_thumb.jpg

If your asking the question on a forum I assume you can't repair it yourself? If your paying someone it may well be an expensive repair. The biggest thing to be aware of is whether or not it hasn't been previously stolen! Confirm ALL of the paperwork & the chassis number haven't been tampered with. ...if it's been registered on any systems contact the system administrator to make sure the documents aren't forged.

If your asking the question on a forum I assume you can't repair it yourself? If your paying someone it may well be an expensive repair. The biggest thing to be aware of is whether or not it hasn't been previously stolen! Confirm ALL of the paperwork & the chassis number haven't been tampered with. ...if it's been registered on any systems contact the system administrator to make sure the documents aren't forged.

You are quite right I am not going to repair it myself, wouldn't know where to start.

The main problem I have is the caravan is quite a distance away and to see if the cost of repairs and the purchase price make it worth looking at or not. I know nobody can give an accurate price for the repairs from a photo but if someone could give me some idea I'd be grateful.

You have feet WALK the other way :-)

There has got to be a better option for your money out there some where

I think that repairs to this would be very costly. I would walk away

I agree with the others, walk away, as a Hobby, it could have been used by the travelling community, or stolen, or both.

Save yourself the hassle. .......Peter

To much damage

Welcome to the forum,

There are too many nasty possibilities to risk good money on that one.

You should also temper your decision with the fact that Hobby caravans rank as the most stolen caravans in Europe.

If it were me and in those immortal words of Nancy Sinatra. ........

Ask yourself, an expensive caravan like this and no insurance to cover the repair?!!

Looks as if there is damp already in the wood. New lower panel, may be able to salvage top panel. Front GRP damaged, doubt it can be repaired without looking like a botch job - front GRP panel = expensive. Can't tell what damage may have been done to the frame structure at that corner.

Don't walk away from this one - RUN

I would be very concerned about it being a stolen caravan. In addition, those repairs will not be cheap.

Thank you for all the replies. You have all confirmed what I really felt and I am putting my boots on as I type and walking the other way.

It's funny when your living in another country you naturally migrate to fellow Brits even though I found the advert by chance.

Was always going to be too good to be true.

This is exactly why I joined the forum.

I think you are making the right decision. In the past, I too have been seduced by a caravan or a car advertised online - in my case Ebay, something that I haven't viewed because of the distance involved. You are in the hands of the seller being an honest and honourable person - something which you have little opportunity to verify. I now would not buy, or look to buy a car or caravan without being able to view it first and to be honest, I know there are bargains with private sellers to be had but I tend now to go to a dealer - and a reputable one at that. The amount of money involved is more than I can afford to lose.

I agree completely with everything you have said sprite and whatever happens I will not part with my cash for something as expensive as caravan without seeing it first.

Before this one came to light I had already organised an old family friend who has donkeys years of experience in caravans and camper to fly over next week. I was trying to put in the ground work before he arrived.

We will be travelling all round France looking at caravans. One problem I have found is that there are loads of dealers here for campers but not for us mere people who want caravans hence the second hand market. I would prefer to buy from a dealer but the ones in the UK won't honour the warranty once it leaves the UK for good and as I don't have a UK address I loose nothing by again going for the second hand market. Sometimes living abroad is a pain.

You have made the right decision. :)

Here where I live in Spain the camp sites and there are many have many for sale signs on the caravans for sale by owner, in fact once I bought one myself.

Also the caravan storage yards have caravans for sale. I know parts of France can be in the sticks but here there are dozens per sq mile.

I agree completely with everything you have said sprite and whatever happens I will not part with my cash for something as expensive as caravan without seeing it first.

Before this one came to light I had already organised an old family friend who has donkeys years of experience in caravans and camper to fly over next week. I was trying to put in the ground work before he arrived.

We will be travelling all round France looking at caravans. One problem I have found is that there are loads of dealers here for campers but not for us mere people who want caravans hence the second hand market. I would prefer to buy from a dealer but the ones in the UK won't honour the warranty once it leaves the UK for good and as I don't have a UK address I loose nothing by again going for the second hand market. Sometimes living abroad is a pain.

Many caravans are exported to Australian and New Zealand and the warranties are honoured. As France is in the EU, the warranty should be honoured if the work is done by an approved workshop. I am fairly sure many electrical goods plus cars have an EU warranty.

Alarm bells are ringing "stolen" sorry. Not yet registered, has a (getaway?) bump, and hobby's are lovely but popular with travellers.

If you do get paperwork fair enough but unless you can repair yourself best to walk away.