Sign in to follow this  
MauriceH

Mains Electrics Water Heater

just got to my van and connected all up -- water electrcs and turned on gas etc.

Turned on the electric water heater expecting it to work - the mains switch light was on.

After about 10 - 15mins tried the water -cold!

Swtched over to gas - removing the out side flue cover -and after 5 mins water was noticeably warm.

Looked for any fuses etc to have gone but all in order.

What's the next step?

At the moment we are ok on gas but when we get home what needs to be checked.

Maurice

Could be faulty thermostat or heating element.

I assume you have checked the MCB and that other 240V devices work?

yep all else in van on 240v works ok.

Will have to get it checked when we get back to the uk

yep all else in van on 240v works ok.

Will have to get it checked when we get back to the uk

Did you turn on the electric with the heater switched on before you filled the tank? If so then the override stat has switched the unit off. Empty the tank completely and then wait a few minutes. Make sure heater is off and refill tank. The heater should now work.

Not another member with polarity problems?

We had a member in France on a site and the mains polarity was reversed. His fridge would not work.

Do you have one of those cheap testers with lights that plug into a 3 pin socket?

3 lights show the site has wired up the mains correctly. Sometimes continental sites swap the live and neutral and, as LHD says, some devices stop working. Some of us test for this and then have a polarity changer which is a blue socket and blue plug on a short lead with neutral and live swapped and a big label saying it is a changer so we don't get mixed up.

Hope you don't mind me adding that never swap an earth to neutral or live. If in doubt get someone else to do it.

If there are other Brits there, ask around, as someone will have a mains tester for sure. Maybe a swapper as well.

After about 10 - 15mins tried the water -cold!

I did the very same thing after I arrived in Malaga last November. Filled the Aquaroll; connected the water; let the heater fill up and switched on - then got on with other things. After half an hour and a big panic I switched to gas. Fortunately that worked. Next day I set about checking the power supply. Everything checked out up to the element. I got a replacement sent out from Ebay and once I got it fitted, the water quickly heated up.

I did the very same thing after I arrived in Malaga last November. Filled the Aquaroll; connected the water; let the heater fill up and switched on - then got on with other things. After half an hour and a big panic I switched to gas. Fortunately that worked. Next day I set about checking the power supply. Everything checked out up to the element. I got a replacement sent out from Ebay and once I got it fitted, the water quickly heated up.

I think that is what I will have to do -- when we get back to the UK.

I will give emptying the heater and re filling it a go, whilst here though

- I can't remember if the electric was on or off whilst the water was filling.

I know it was empty because I turned the yellow tap from upright to sideways.

We will give it a go!!

Maurice

I think that is what I will have to do -- when we get back to the UK.

I will give emptying the heater and re filling it a go, whilst here though

I know it was empty because I turned the yellow tap from upright to sideways.

We will give it a go!!

Maurice

Let us know if it works!

If by accident it was on, then the element will have tripped to save itself. After switching off the power for five minutes or so, it should reset without draining off the water. My own theory is that an element will only cut out so many times before it finally fails.

If by accident it was on, then the element will have tripped to save itself. After switching off the power for five minutes or so, it should reset without draining off the water. My own theory is that an element will only cut out so many times before it finally fails.

It won't reset itself if there is hot water in the unit that's why I said empty it and refill with cold water. Speaking from experience! On another forum some poor chap was in serious trouble with his wife because there was no hot water. I suggested he did the same routine and he reckoned it had saved his marriage!

Edited by Jslocks

I suggested he did the same routine and he reckoned it had saved his marriage!

. ....did he kiss you or kick you!!

. ....did he kiss you or kick you!!

I wondered that!

I found my electric switch was on two hours after connecting to home EHU. It must have been switched on by an awning bag moving against it during the trip home. Obviously the water tank was empty and so the cut-out had tripped. I immediately switched it off fearing the worst.

It was quite a relief to find it was 'undamaged' some two weeks later when I next used the van. Logic suggests it would reset each time it cooled down only to trip again. The question is 'How many time did this occur in the two hours it was on?'

The plan is to fix a guard over the switch to prevent a repeat performance. :rolleyes:

It only resets once the power has been switched off for several minutes.

It only resets once the power has been switched off for several minutes.

Electronic then rather than mechanical (thermal)? I am only familiar with bi-metallic strip principle. :rolleyes:

How many 'lives' does it have? Bit like a cat?

How many 'lives' does it have? Bit like a cat?

I don't know. I don't even know if it's lives are numbered. But I believe they are so I take a bit more care now in switching off before I empty. 75quid a pop is too much to keep replacing it.

turned the gas and electricity off to the water heater, just opened the yellow tap and the water is draining down--- it seems to take ages to drain. . opened the kitchen and bathroom taps. We will see what happens now.

get back in 1/2 hour or so. .

Maurice

one thing I forgot to do was disconect the water inlet -- the water keeps coming. . and flowing to drain. ...So now water turned OFF and system drained down. .

hot water warming up---- no gas just electric ---- so that worked

Thanks to all

Will see in the morning if we are STILL on hot electric water!!

Maurice

Good result.

The heater element must have reset.

Did you turn on the electric with the heater switched on before you filled the tank? If so then the override stat has switched the unit off. Empty the tank completely and then wait a few minutes. Make sure heater is off and refill tank. The heater should now work.

You were right after all. ;)

Good result.

The heater element must have reset.

You were right after all. ;)

Indeed! :) Edited by Jslocks

It won't reset itself if there is hot water in the unit

Of course when I advised no need to drain the water, I was assuming you hadn't recently used the gas. But a happy result for you Maurice all the same.

Still working next day!

Maurice