Towing Capabilities

gretaanne

can anyone advise me as to were i can gain info regarding towing of my caravan. i have a 5 series BMW, and have had conflicting advice as to the legal weigjhts it can tow.

regards gordon

Hi,

The definitive answer, to your query, is to ask BMW or of course look in the driver manual.

Be very wary of certain sites that don't give correct information. I was told that our outfit was such a poor match that one dealer strongly advised against us buying the 'van. The problem was that the comparison site used by the dealer was using the wrong information and I did end up playing 'email tennis' with them.

This problem was eventually sorted by me furnishing them with an email from Peugeot stating the correct weights.

We were actually told by the dealer that though Peugeot make the cars, they can't always be trusted regarding their stated towing stats, WHAT?????

As you would imagine I never darkened their doors again.

Always stick to the manufacturer's stats,

Regards,

Ian.

There is a difference between the legal limit and the recommended towing load for an inexperienced tower.

The recommendation is for the actual load of the caravan to be less than 85% of the kerb weight of the car. The worst case is to take the max load of the caravan (or MTPLM), which can be found on the caravan rating plate. This recommendation is intended to give a stable outfit.

The legal limit, which will be much higher, is the manufacturers towing limit or the gross train weight, whichever is reached first.

The BMW 5 series is quite heavy, depending on which model you have, which should give you a wide choice of caravan, unless you want to tow a twin axle. It should be a good towcar.

Have a look at this link for kerbweights

http://www. cuddles. abelgratis. net/kerbweights. htm

Brian

Have a look at this link for kerbweights

http://www. cuddles. abelgratis. net/kerbweights. htm

Brian

I'd be very careful at using this link as well. For example a 2001 Audi A4 1. 9TDi is quoted at 1546 kg whereas the Avant (Estate version) is only quoted at 1450 kg. I would hazard a guess that at least one of these figures is incorrect, perhaps both.

The only way is to check manufacturers data.

Buster

Archived