Oh How I Miss A Stable Door

We wouldn’t buy a van without a stable door - so this reduced our choices somewhat when looking for a new one recently. We need it for the dog, but also, as you say, it’s nice for the fresh air. We’ve been very pleased with our Elddis.

John

PS, Freespirited1 - if you have a new Swift you need to update your profile.

PPS, I know this thread is 6 years old … because the new software tells you!

0E67D94F-7A67-4E6C-AF46-69785F0861DD.thumb.jpeg.6fe8ce9813b6b2b353104d0b9365f88b.jpeg

Yes the only thing we'd alter on our Buc. Supposed to be more secure.

we have a stable door in our present van but in the last van we had the complete door and though we were  a bit  concerned about the dogs, they always stayed behind the fly screen  no worries at all 

I like our stable door the only problem is you can't shut the flyscreen when the bottom half is closed (due to the door bin) and that somewhat restricts its use.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Bring back the stable door!!! 

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

I like our stable door the only problem is you can't shut the flyscreen when the bottom half is closed (due to the door bin) and that somewhat restricts its use.

Yes they should also fit a “stable fly-screen” 🙂

John

• I agree completely 1
6 hours ago, Freespirited1 said:

We really miss the stable door and even thinking of trying to source one to replace the exisiting one

We could do a swap. :D   I've owned my van for ten years and I'm sure I've never opened it as a stable door.

IMG_20190629_131951.jpg.2d019cabeb2cfb1a65ab71709449f584.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

12 hours ago, Jaydug said:

We could do a swap. :D   I've owned my van for ten years and I'm sure I've never opened it as a stable door.

I hold the directly opposite view, we use our stable door all the time, not really sure why but just do.

To those who say a one piece door is more secure I would just advise them to look at how the (large) windows are secured shut.  Hardly Fort Knox standard are they? 

Also a one piece door can be easily bent up from the bottom non hinged corner (Having been a copper in a seaside town with lots of campsites you can figure out how I know that!) 

The issue of caravan security, when you look at it a little more objectively, is in my view, somewhat dubious to say the least. No caravan can, in any real sense, be classed as being any more  “secure” than a tent ! But we all still religiously lock them up when we leave don’t we? (Me included :blink:

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I'm pretty sure I have never used our stable door.

I would maybe use it if you could have the fly screen closed along with the bottom half of the door, but the bin makes that impossible.

• I agree completely 1

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

We have dogs and the lack of stable door was causing annoyance. we solved it by buying a narrow stair gate - fixes via stick on discs and works perfectly!

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk