Sign in to follow this  
Supersirocco2014

Awning Shoes Damaging Solid Side Construction?

Delivery of our new van on the 2nd May 2014 - after several different dates and panic as we had booked a 3 week siting in the Lakes our van arrived with a couple of issues but which will be sorted out under warranty. Also bought a new Inaca Sands full awning and collected this last week and put it up this weekend for 4 days. Beautiful fit, good quality and what's more fantastic weather and we had a great weekend - then we took the awning down. :(

The shoes provided to hold the poles to the van and awning roof had left 5 dents along the top of the caravan. I was gutted. In all my years of caravanning I have never known anything like it and never have I had this issue before. The sides seem so soft. Been back to the dealers this morning who are saying I need to go through my insurance to have it repaired but what about it happening again? My Contract is with the Dealer and I was expecting them to speak to Elddis and get someone to come and have a look at it and assist with either repair or discuss a fault in production.

Anyone else had this problem???

• Like 1

Standing chatting to a neighbor on Saturday a bird flew into the side of the caravan and dented it.

Could not believe my eyes! Soft does not even begin to describe the sides!

I've heard about this before. There was a thread on here a few months ago about someone who has had the same issue.

Out of interest, what are the shoes like.

The reason for asking is that we have not long purchased a new Isabella Magnum 250 Coal which was supplied with shoes which had a radiused contact face.

Our original Magnum had shoes which had a flat face and spread the load well but I could see the new shoes doing exactly what you describe due to an almost line contact rather than full face.

I took them back to the awning supplier who changed them for the previous design, they said that the ones supplied by Isabella were for a different awning rail design.

They would most definitely dented our van if I had have used them.

Probably different situation to you though.

I have erected my Dorema awning a few times without any issues. I use their quick lock pads which are quite flat on the bottom.

Mark.

I thought the sides were GRP for "the ultimate protection against minor damage" Elddis quote (or something like that.

This is worrying especially as it is not the only case. Surely the dealer has to sort this and quickly

What type of shoe is it?

Is it square and flat like the Isabella?

Update. So here are the facts, the Elddis sales manager, not the dealer sales manager, whilst on site visiting, has said there is nothing wrong with our van. Mmmmh now correct me if I am wrong but if he was an expert in composite construction he would not be a sales manager. If he was a composite expert he would have measuring instruments and not a clip board, Rolex and a Mondeo. So for me his comments have about as much credibility as me talking about performing brain surgery on my best friend.

Elddis official comment, nothing wrong with our van, well case proven to be a porky mi lord see other posts on here and my comment here under.

Inaca official comment we have sold 6000 awnings never had a problem, case proven to be a porky see other threads and my comment here under.

I Asked my insurance company, how many claims for awning pads damaging a van do you get in a year excluding issues caused by storms. ........The answer about 150 a year sir it is a KP or Known Problem in particular with GRP sided vans.

Finance placed in dispute suck it up suckers I am coming for you.

For all those asking about awning shoes buy yourself some corked backed dinner place mats and spread the load by placing behind each shoe.

Also use the double thickness Isabella shoes not the grey shoes that have a screw on clock face like operation. These grey pads allow the pole to push back on the side of the van, proven by the fact that each dent has a vertical crease in it where the pole has pushed back

If someone had said, you best place a supplementary pad behind each shoe from day one I would have done it.

Elddis, Elddis, Elddis. There that should get the attention of those who monitor the website for Elddis.

What would be the disgrace in giving each customer 3 or 5 pads of composite to put under each awning pole pad????!

They could even dress it up with some sales cobblers about being "an additional feature to protect your investment in adverse conditions".

Rant over dealer still suggesting my insurance is the way to get this fixed

Will update when I pick the van up tomorrow, on the way forward.

The suggestion is fill and spray the GRP sides with decent 2 pack paint. .......

Question . ... What if the rest of the brand new GRP fades in a couple of years will this paint job look like a huge zit on the face of your favourite supper model. .....???

Any paint experts out there to provide comment please???????

Out of interest, what are the shoes like.

The reason for asking is that we have not long purchased a new Isabella Magnum 250 Coal which was supplied with shoes which had a radiused contact face.

Our original Magnum had shoes which had a flat face and spread the load well but I could see the new shoes doing exactly what you describe due to an almost line contact rather than full face.

I took them back to the awning supplier who changed them for the previous design, they said that the ones supplied by Isabella were for a different awning rail design.

They would most definitely dented our van if I had have used them.

Probably different situation to you though.

So are you saying that this awning shoe design could have damaged other makes of caravan, and not just products from Elddis? If so, then the other posts in this thread implying a fault with Elddis caravans would appear to be irrelevant.

Stan.

Standing chatting to a neighbor on Saturday a bird flew into the side of the caravan and dented it.

Could not believe my eyes! Soft does not even begin to describe the sides!

I've had a windscreen put out by a flying bird while stationary. .. not so soft that one. ..

I'm no expert but it occurs to me that the new solid sides will absorb heat from strong sun or a closed awning and by the nature of the material become softer compared to aluminium which could account for the dents especially when it cools down and the deformed shape is retained. I arrive at this conclusion from 30 years experience in the building industry and having seen similar scenarios.

For this reason I am ditching my pole awning and using an air awning from now on to be on the safe side. I would of preferred not to have the expense but in the long run if I'm right it will protect my very large investment.

I realise for those already affected my thoughts come too late but perhaps a warning to others might help and maybe elddis could consider this theory.

• Like 1

I have an Isabella awning with the flat pads that rest on the van, and have suffered no damage whatsoever, the van is a Swift with aluminium sides, from what I have heard, you will have a very tough time getting Elddis to admit to anything warrenty wise.

So are you saying that this awning shoe design could have damaged other makes of caravan, and not just products from Elddis? If so, then the other posts in this thread implying a fault with Elddis caravans would appear to be irrelevant.

Stan.

Hi Stan.

When I took delivery of my new Isabella Magnum Coal, it came with Fixon Multi's.

These have a radiused contact face and would have had a far higher contact pressure for a given load sitting against a flat aluminium panel than those supplied with my original Magnum - Fixon 2's - which were the type with the flat contact pad and thus spreading the load better.

I did not have any dents when using the 2's but foresaw dents certainly happening with the Multi's.

The Multi's are not meant for my van design (awning rail) but using Multi's for the van design for which they are meant probably will not cause problems, IMO sitting them against a flat soft aluminium surface would be just asking for trouble.

post-1814-0-83994100-1401020532_thumb.jpg

Fixon Multi with radiused contact pad, can see the radius better here. (3rd image)

post-1814-0-93630100-1401020552_thumb.jpg

Fixon 2 with flat contact pad.

Edit: Link added.

Edited by Griff

well Elddis not just me with the same problem with the dents on my buccaneer caravan form the fix on pads.

8 months trying to fight this issue and at last someone else has had the same problem i expect a lot more.

I took a close look at the side of my Adria Adora because as I understand it, it has a polyester skin which may (or may not) be similar to the elddis skin. When i look at a certain angle I can see very slight depressions that seem to have been caused by the (flat faced) fixons in my Ventura awning (used only twice) . I would never have noticed them if it were not for this thread. But what I can also see beneath the skin is a two-inch wide batten running in a neat curve about an inch away from the edge of the panel right round the side of the caravan - . The surface of the panel shows the underlying substructure, but it's not something that makes you think there is a problem. However when I looked at the other (non-awning side) the polyester didn't seem to allow the substructure to show through.

Anyway it's my guess that Adria reinforce the polyester panel in the position that they expect the fixons to sit.

Mike

elddis seam to have a problem with their side panels and awning brackets !!!!!!!!

UPDATE----Well my dealer has just called me and the repair is complete. I pick the van up tomorrow. The repair consists of 2 pack paint, sand and fill. So let us try again, this time I will use a 4 inch square supplementary pad under the awning shoes. If it dents again with extra pads it will be rejected I am doing everything I can to help Elddis .

Suspect a fill and spray will work ok on my white sided sirocco, but I bet it will be difficult to do in bucaneer silver.

How was this achieved, by going into the dealership and basically saying from my well over 6ft and 17 stone frame---- get me a director here now . FYI I was so turned off with shiny suit wearing sales men that I had to go to the top with a fact file that I will share with anyone who is interested.

The sides of these vans are soft, fact. Big awnings dent them, fact, sun heat softens the side then when it goes cold the pole holds the shape I. e a dent, fact.

Elddis you need an extra spar in the construction at awning height, fact.

You need to supply supplementary pads to go under awning shoes. Not hard really look in the off cuts bin use some off cut material with a nice logo on it ----we would all use it to protect our investment.

Lastly

Please stop putting off your customers most of us accept manufacturing issues happen and WILL work with you . ....BUT none of us accept your " I see no ships" stance, it is 2014 not 1974.

Edited by Diavolo Rosso
Edited because of breach of T&C's on bad language.

Glad you got sorted SuperS and hope Raffo does too - definitely looks like a design flaw/fit for purpose issue. It's a shame things like this spoil owners enjoyment of great caravans :(

Edited by Muddywheels

More than happy with the repair Thank you Campbells caravans Preston.

BUT---------- if it happens again with the additional use of a 4 inch square pad under each awning shoe to spread the load you will be getting it back as a rejection.

Thanks Adam Hulme at Campbells for sorting this with Rob the after sales care guy.

my 2014 compass corona has the same dents after 1st trip out using Isabella flat pads never had a problem with dents on my previous 10 year old van

• Like 1

just one thing to say about Elddis on this subject joke!!!!!

darrene

sorry to hear about your problem too mate mine is still going on after 8 months

• Like 1

Hi, I do not think this problem is unique as I have a Lunar Ariva which has been dented by the pads even though they have been sited at the correct reinforced position described by Lunar in the handbook. I would be interested to know if the reinforcing under the pads has helped and if anyone else has suffered denting because of this.

Why are you blaming the caravan maker, did they recommend this awning? Surely the blame lies with the awning maker/dealerthey should have warned you that it is unsuitable for some vans.

• Like 1

I don't think that Johnston is blaming the manufacturer, just stating a fact. I have had the same problem on a Lunar so there is more than one of us that has had trouble. I'm not blaming the manufacturer but looking for a resolution to the problem