Sign in to follow this  
Vallumlj

How Many Family's Under The Age Of 40 Caravan

We have just got back from a nice weekend away, me 40 1/2, the missus who is 40 3/4 and 2 kids 10 and 12

love it, and hopefully money permitting will carry on for years - looking forward to when we have no kids and can go further afield with (hopefully) more money to enjoy it with !

We bought our first caravan just before our oldest started school for just that reason - so we can afford to go abroad with both our children in the summer holidays and still be have money for weeks and weekends away with them during the rest of the year. It was a means of having protected time away with them, leaving behind the telly and the list of domestic jobs - and four years and two (almost three) caravans later, it was one of the best things we ever did. Last year's fortnight in France on a lovely beachside campsite with a pool cost around £350 in site fees and we got a cheap ferry crossing through the CC for under £100.

In our 5th year of vanning now. SWMBO still under 40 and loves it. Kids think its great and its a great way to see the kids growing up not stuck in front of a tv or computer game. Our girls are now 10 and 8, so not much different to you a few years ago.

We are limited currently by school times, which both make things awkward and more costly, so make the most of the time pre-school as its not as busy and a lot cheaper (lots of kids for a penny at cc sites)

Even now, we still get away 4wks a year min and a number of nice weekends that would only otherwise be moshing around the house.

Get your confidence up in the uk, then go abroad. That's what we're doing for the first time this year

Could be me that wrote that - agree with it all

Go for it and definitely get abroad :)

We have just got back from a nice weekend away, me 40 1/2, the missus who is 40 3/4 and 2 kids 10 and 12

love it, and hopefully money permitting will carry on for years - looking forward to when we have no kids and can go further afield with (hopefully) more money to enjoy it with !

Wishful thinking!

I think I have more chance of wining the lottery than having any spare cash if 18 years of marriage and 3 daughters 12 and under is anything to go by.

Would I change it. ........ No

😀

Glad this post came up i was just about to invest in a pipe & slippers, lol.

Well, I've owned my van for about 18 months, currently 38, wife 39, 3 boys aged 11, 8 and 5.

But out of my friends & colleagues etc, I'm only aware of 2 others of similar age with caravans.

People say volvos are 'old men's cars' but I've owned various models since I was 25!

Ignore the trends and get on with if.

46 i am and better half 37, got my first caravan at 29 and seeing the kids faces light up when they come home and see Caravan behind truck is PRICELESS !!!

Kids ages . .3. .7. .........16. .21 i have had 17 years caravaning with kids :)

Seeing some faces on site when we pull up with kids is PRICELESS TOO :D

Ste

WE BOUGHT OUT FIRST CARAVAN IN MAY 2012 WHEN I WAS 25, MY WIFE IS 23 AND WE LOVE IT LOL, PEOPLE SAY WE ARE YOUNG BUT WHO CARES IT WE LOVE IT :D

Well we bought our caravan when I was 28 and my wife 25, we are now 30 and 27. We have had a few comments regarding our age and the general shock of people so young caravanning but we love it! Just back from the Kent downs, soon off to Oxfordshire and Devon!

Am I the only one with an older wife? :)

No Dreadly you're not mate, my missus is 6yrs older than me but looks 6yrs younger. . :D

Edited by scotsstag

Am I the only one with an older wife? :)

No, I am all of 6 days younger. 😉

Well we bought our caravan when I was 28 and my wife 25, we are now 30 and 27. We have had a few comments regarding our age and the general shock of people so young caravanning but we love it! Just back from the Kent downs, soon off to Oxfordshire and Devon!

Oh yes! The "its great to see younger people caravanning" comments. Hehehe. Makes me feel ten years younger and feel like i dont have any grey hair or responsbilities (for a split second).

And the endless "how much does your caravan weigh?" which leads to the mandatory new licence discussion. ....

Do we count, I'm 43 and my wife is 46. Daughter 17, son 22. Love every minute of caravanning, just wished we could of done it when the children was smaller. ... Alas, mortgage, bills etc got in the way. Now mortgage free nearly new caravan, enjoy it. Loving life at the moment, can't wait for our next journey away. :)

Edited by gooney1971

Started towing and caravanning at 18 .

Dave

Oh yes! The "its great to see younger people caravanning" comments. Hehehe. Makes me feel ten years younger and feel like i dont have any grey hair or responsbilities (for a split second).

And the endless "how much does your caravan weigh?" which leads to the mandatory new licence discussion. ....

I think it is funny esepcially when we arrive at the M25 crossing and to date we have always appeared to be the youngest there. In relation to the caravan weight discussion I spent a considerable amount of time deciding on the caravan and spent a further considerable amount of time speaking with the DVLA and reading on here and checking websites such as towsure to ensure I was within the legal weight limits. The main issue we have is if we want something bigger then the chances are I will be doing the next part on my driving test but for now it isnt required and when we do trade in/ up etc there are options available on the market to me where I will keep within the regulations!

Edited by Chrissyp83

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reply being over 40, but I was under 40 when we bought our van three years ago when my boys were 2 & 4 years old.

A lot of "younger" people I talk too with kids had caravan holidays when they were children. They have great holiday memories hence they know what a great time you can have without spending £3000.

One of the other reasons for us was that we could have at least five holidays instead of one, 11 months and two weeks was far to long to wait for the next holiday.

I think it is funny esepcially when we arrive at the M25 crossing and to date we have always appeared to be the youngest there. In relation to the caravan weight discussion I spent a considerable amount of time deciding on the caravan and spent a further considerable amount of time speaking with the DVLA and reading on here and checking websites such as towsure to ensure I was within the legal weight limits. The main issue we have is if we want something bigger then the chances are I will be doing the next part on my driving test but for now it isnt required and when we do trade in/ up etc there are options available on the market to me where I will keep within the regulations!

And the semi-suprised faces of CL owners. ...

. ..even more so when you reverse well too! Hehehe.

P. s. B+E is pretty easy. I did my training with a great guy based in east essex, recommended by many by word of mouth :)

:goodpost:

thanks (don't mind reversing tbh and don't find it particularly difficult, far far easier than my old camping trailer that always did exactly as it wanted and not what I wanted, we don't have a mover on the van so am regularly reversing onto pitches etc . .. )

Edited by Chrissyp83

yep

im 39 and my oh is 34 we have a 9 year old boy. i was given a swift challenger a couple of years ago that needed 'a bit' of work. it turned out to be rotten. i traded it in this year for a 92 abbey 416 that really did only need a bit of work. totally dry. painted the interior white with black cupboard doors and tables. fitted led's in place of the 12v strip lights. ripping the bathroom out and refitting and sealing it and sorting the delaminated floor this weekend.

I bought my first caravan when I was 24 and had two very small kids. Divorce meant it had to go a few years later, but then when in my early 30's I got my second one and it enabled many a happy trip with my kids.

I'm just under 40 and the wife's just over, brought the caravan for cheaper holidays have twin boy's aged 6 and they love it to the point that they even love staying in the van on the drive way !!!!

We do two weeks in Devon and weekends as much as possible, but this year I have had to curb going away for the weekends as I have a garden that has gone wild and I need to claim it back :)

Did caravanning when I was in my 30's wife late 20's and daughter was very young. Now my daughter is in her 30's with a son very young and we are back caravanning again and loving it. I feel it won't be long before my daughter is asking us to take it to a site somewhere so she can us it.

I'm 33 and have four kids (10,7,5,1), we've been caravanning for six years and just bought our first new van.

We do a combination of CLs, commercial sites, & rallies - inc going abroad a couple of times. It's a no brainer for us - the caravan means we can go away multiple times per year rather than maybe one week in a cottage in the summer holidays otherwise.

I tend to avoid caravan club sites or sites that charge per person as they penalise families in their pricing. We are almost always the youngest on a caravan site.

Much prefer CLs. Spent last weekend on a CL for £5/ night, no hookup, 3 acres of land, fantastic for the kids to run around!

Anyone seen the Bailey owners DVD? Way to go Bailey encouraging the younger demonstration!

Sign in to follow this