Sign in to follow this  
Lincsguy

Inflatable Awnings

Hello to you all

I have a 22 year-old nicely restored tourer, just under 4 metres long. It's great and easy to tow. An awning is essential for longer breaks away and so far I've 'coped' with a traditional awning - alloy poles, heavyish canvas etc. Now I am getting a tad older with one or two ailments including Sciatica, I'm thinking about an inflatable awning to take as much strain out of putting an awning up as possible. I've seen reviews for Kampa Rally Air Pro and Outdoor Revolution Oxygen 1.

Has anyone any experience/comments on inflatable awnings please? They are a 'price' but the thought of making touring as easy as possible as I get older :huh:, is something to think about.

Thanks for your help

Hi there - if you search all forums with Air awnings or Kampa Air you will get plenty of threads to see peoples views.

Long delay on delivery it seems on many of the Kampa Air ones but they seem to be pretty easy to out up and down with only one inflation point

If you wish to save some money then a Rally 390 non air may be worth a look as very easy and quick to put up with lightweight poles. You still need to peg out the Air awning same way as regular ones but a drill and screw in pegs could help that?

OK just read back you say its under 4m long which I assume is body length? If so then a 330 or 260 may be better size?

Edited by sunshinetours

Just a word of caution that might apply in your case. Van's of yours era often featured inverted "boat roofs". With these the rail height was lower than todays vans, but it also meant the "A" dimension was out of canter with the awning front size. Both these factors can lead to difficulties in using modern "cut" awnings.

Just a word of caution that might apply in your case. Van's of yours era often featured inverted "boat roofs". With these the rail height was lower than todays vans, but it also meant the "A" dimension was out of canter with the awning front size. Both these factors can lead to difficulties in using modern "cut" awnings.

This was the case on my last caravan which was 1982 and had the boat shaped roof. Couldn't understand why I kept getting a puddle on the roof of the awning so posted on here and the obviousl was staring me in the face as everyone pointed out - the awning was too tall!

After sinking the poles further into the ground problem solved!

It was a suncamp something or other, just a small, lightweight porch awning with bendy poles I could put up myself! So if you get an awning with these poles you could adjust it when on soft ground it it's too tall.

I've no experience with inflatable awnings sorry, just the heavy and lightweight ones that were essential when the kids were younger but this is my first total awning free year!

We have got the sunncamp 390 air volution awning and it is very easy to put up and take down. Just be aware that it is a little heavy when threading it through the awning rail. Gave it a good road test at Easter as it chucked it down and was fairly windy as well. We bought an annexe to go with ours for extra storage. Bought from A2Z camping, delivery was free and arrived the following day.

Very happy with the kampa pro air 2014 model, it's been up in heavy rain and 50mph gusts, very solid and hardly moved, the material seemed a lot better quality than some of the cheaper versions when we looked at them at the nec show. Did take 6 months to arrive which seems to be normal so order early and forget about it!

Might be worth waiting to see what they bring out for 2015 if you're not in a rush, they added some smaller models to the 2014 range and made some mods prior to the nec show where we placed our order - that was October and it arrived end of feb or beginning or march.

Some of these inflatable awnings work well with pop tops like the Eriba,

I think it is the Vango that offers "two heights" this would be an advantage

with the boat roofed types perhaps.

We have got the sunncamp 390 air volution awning and it is very easy to put up and take down. Just be aware that it is a little heavy when threading it through the awning rail. Gave it a good road test at Easter as it chucked it down and was fairly windy as well. We bought an annexe to go with ours for extra storage. Bought from A2Z camping, delivery was free and arrived the following day.

I too have bought a Sunncamp Airvolution 390 - a great awning that came with all the extras for £380 - I couldn't stretch the budget to the Kampa brand. It's great - quick to put up and take down - but it's heavy. Fine if you are fit & well, but it you have back or mobility problems then inflatable awnings take some effort to get into the awning channel. Instead of just lifting the canvas, the awning has the inflatable poles already in the structure. Plus it's not as easy to fold, although the oversize bag they supply helps. Plus you have to carry the large bag which is 17kgs plus - at least with a lightweight awning you can split the poles and canvas so it's easy to cart around.

So I love our inflatable, but if you have back problems maybe you should check them out properly before you buy. Plus you still have to peg them out.

The one I helped put up, went slide into awning rail,

position over the door peg out the base and deploy

guys inflate peg out and tension guys. It was very quick

Hi there - if you search all forums with Air awnings or Kampa Air you will get plenty of threads to see peoples views.

Long delay on delivery it seems on many of the Kampa Air ones but they seem to be pretty easy to out up and down with only one inflation point

If you wish to save some money then a Rally 390 non air may be worth a look as very easy and quick to put up with lightweight poles. You still need to peg out the Air awning same way as regular ones but a drill and screw in pegs could help that?

OK just read back you say its under 4m long which I assume is body length? If so then a 330 or 260 may be better size?

After reading several of your posts Sunshinetours, I'd like to think that perhaps one day we'll be able to sway you to the way of the AIR!

Come to the next NEC and come talk to me. I will convince you! :)

Edited by Kampa Max

I was convinced, I just can't get my hands on one! I just hope mine turns up before the cash that I have set aside for it finds a more urgent and pressing use.

I ordered mine at the NEC and was told that those ordered there were priority, and am glad to say my 330 Pro air has arrived soon be time to try it out.

After reading several of your posts Sunshinetours, I'd like to think that perhaps one day we'll be able to sway you to the way of the AIR!

Come to the next NEC and come talk to me. I will convince you! :)

I

Only just got our Rally Club so no chance at the mo! Think some struggle more than others with awnings for various reasons - glad to say we don't !