Sign in to follow this  
gwallwin806

Winterhoff Hitch - Really Bad Creaking Noises!

Hi All

I got my Compass Omega 505 serviced (2007) last week, and I asked the engineer to change the pads in the winterhoff hitch.

Thinking that all was well, we hitched up and drove off, aiming to head away for the weekend.

The caravan hitch was seriously noisey - very very creaky! To the extend where it sounded like the caravan was going to de-hitch itself from the car! I phoned the engineer and he came straight away, aiming to fix the problem. He tried his best - cleaned the pads, sprayed brake cleaner etc. . The problem still exists. He said that it was safe to go away for the weekend, and we did with no problems, but it's still very noisey. The engineer said that he's no idea what to do, apart from changing the pads (again) or getting a new hitch.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how the problem can be sorted? How can the noise be stopped? I'll have to get new hitch if all else fails!

Thanks, Gareth.

My Alko did this for a while, I suspect it just needs to 'bed in' for a while.

Hi. Thank-you for the reply. Just to make things clear though. .. I don't think it's case of bedding it in. It's extremely noisey - the noise travels through the chassis of the car and would drive you crazy! It's particularly bad when turning at roundabouts etc. .

Hi. Thank-you for the reply. Just to make things clear though. .. I don't think it's case of bedding it in. It's extremely noisey - the noise travels through the chassis of the car and would drive you crazy! It's particularly bad when turning at roundabouts etc. .

Yes, I had people stopping, staring and trying to stop me :) They can get REALLY noisy. It is just friction vibration. If everything is clean and tidy and you have cleaned the paint off the towball then I suggest it needs bedding in. Failing that get somebody else to take a look.

Sounds like a good clean with some fine sandpaper and then a clean with some brake cleaner.

Dave

I had the same problem,but changing the pads cured it. It does sound as though there might be

contamination somewhere.

I had this with my new Winterhoff, it is a bedding in process.

The tow ball was very smooth and shiny, so I deglazed it with

medium emery cloth, the friction pads I used sandpaper on.

Everything was washed off with brake cleaner spray.

We did 150 miles in perfect silence, then on entering the

campsite it began to groan, oh! how it groaned, the Lioness was

so embarassed. I unhitched and wiped the ball and hitch with a wet

cloth recoupled and went on across the site in perfect silence.

It did not do it again for the rest of my ownership.

We had the same problem with our previous van after it's last service. It was perfect before it had the service but when we got it back it creaked and groaned really loudly. We part exed the van so hope the dealer will sort it before they sell it on.

Should of asked if you have cleaned all the paint off the ball as this will just contaminate the pads ?

Dave

Hi all. Ta for the replies. All the components are very clean - including the tow ball. I have already had a few creaks, but when I changed the pads, I thought that the problem would be sorted - but obviously not! I use emery cloth and brake cleaner etc everytime I hitch - just giving it a quick wipe. But the problem persists.

Hi all. Ta for the replies. All the components are very clean - including the tow ball. I have already had a few creaks, but when I changed the pads, I thought that the problem would be sorted - but obviously not! I use emery cloth and brake cleaner etc everytime I hitch - just giving it a quick wipe. But the problem persists.

Just a thought, the brake cleaner may be causing the problem.

OK clean the ball and hitch then leave it overnight before coupling

this will allow atmospheric moisture to repenetrate the components,

a little like I did with the wet cloth but on a molecular level.

I had the same problem, and cleaned the towball and friction pads but the noise was still there, I tried everything, then one day, while I was moving the van around the storage compound I heard the noise.

Being as it wasn't attached to the car, I knew then that it wasn't the hitch. I got under the van, grabbed and shook the brake rod because sometimes they can squeak, it wasn't that.

As a last resort, I shook the spare wheel carrier and hallelujah I found it. Sprayed some grease on it and ever since has been totally silent.

Don't always assume that the noises always come from the hitch, sometimes it can be something simple as I found out.

I had the same problem, and cleaned the towball and friction pads but the noise was still there, I tried everything, then one day, while I was moving the van around the storage compound I heard the noise.

Being as it wasn't attached to the car, I knew then that it wasn't the hitch. I got under the van, grabbed and shook the brake rod because sometimes they can squeak, it wasn't that.

As a last resort, I shook the spare wheel carrier and hallelujah I found it. Sprayed some grease on it and ever since has been totally silent.

Don't always assume that the noises always come from the hitch, sometimes it can be something simple as I found out.

:goodpost: thats using your loaf :D

Thanks for all the responses. It definitely is the hitch - the noises are much worse when I turn left/right. I will try the other suggestions that people have mentioned. Everything is very clean, a real mystery. I'm going to France in July and need it sorted before then! Gareth.

Like Gareth I've Just fitted new clip in friction pads to my Winterhoff WS3000 to try and prevent creaking.

It made no difference whatsoever, in fact it's probably worse than before.

My towing vehicle is a 2018 Superb with a factory fitted tow bar with all the paint previously removed from the new tow ball.

After completely removing my Winterhoff WS3000 and inspecting the mechanism I can see that the linkage pins are all  worn and loose in the main casting, which is probably resulting in not enough clamping force on the tow ball, hence creaking.

The Winterhoff is 8 years old and tows to Spain each winter so it's time to order a new replacement.