Would You Fit Budget Tyres On Your Tow Car

o2fly

As the topic title says. Would you fit budget tyres on your tow car??

My Galaxy needs new front tyres. Looking around the tyres as fitted (goodyear) are about £140 each. Budget tyres are coming out at £60. The wallet is saying go budget, but is there really any difference in day to day performance between tyres when towing. With previous non tow cars I have fitted budget tyres and not noticed any difference.

Maybe I've just answered my own question :-/

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i would not fit budget tyres full stop, for either towing or not towing there are only 4 pieces of rubber between you and the road, and i would not compromise safety for a few quid

"Depends" is the answer

Some budget range tyres perform OK on certain cars, but not sure many of the cheap Chinese makes perform particularly well in wet braking or lateral grip tests (if you has to swerve for instance)

In your circumstances I would seriously look at some of the more mid range brands and some of the reviews on their models. OH car has been running Barums Bravuris for a year or so now and pleased with them. Some of the Kuhmo's seem to get good press amongst others

Have a look at the price of Hankook Ventus Prime, most reviews give them the same grip ratings as the Goodyears you have and very similar noise ratings. They were standard fitment by Ford on the Mk3 mondeo I used to own. The Kuhmo ecstas are also very good for grip but I found them to be noisy.

Edited by Bill Lord

I would fit the best you can afford. .. I agree that tyres are probably the single biggest piece of safety kit you can buy, but if you can't afford expensive, then budget it is. That's life.

Check out these reviews --> http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/search/site/tyre%20reviews?f[0]=sm_vid_Category%3AAccessories%20%26amp%3B%20Tyres&f[1]=sm_vid_Category%3ASummer%20Tyres

I do have to reference this part of a Chinese tyre review though. ..

"If there was ever a prime example of why tyre producers insisted wet grip was included in labeling legislation, it’s this Chinese Linglong. It proved the most economical on fuel by a clear margin, but in the wet its performance was poor.

In every wet test, it finished last, a long way behind its rivals. In wet braking, it had only taken off around half the speed and was still doing 24mph when the winning Continental had stopped. On the wet handling circuit, the lack of grip was scary, with lots of movement front and rear and little warning of which end would slide first."

Ref :- http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/wheels-and-tyres/60720/linglong-winter-hero-radical-650

Just goes to show that frankly some tyres are dangerous. ..

Edited by dreadly

I would fit the best you can afford. .. I agree that tyres are probably the single biggest piece of safety kit you can buy, but if you can't afford expensive, then budget it is. That's life.

Check out these reviews --> http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/search/site/tyre%20reviews?f[0]=sm_vid_Category%3AAccessories%20%26amp%3B%20Tyres&f[1]=sm_vid_Category%3ASummer%20Tyres

I do have to reference this part of a Chinese tyre review though. ..

"If there was ever a prime example of why tyre producers insisted wet grip was included in labeling legislation, it’s this Chinese Linglong. It proved the most economical on fuel by a clear margin, but in the wet its performance was poor.

In every wet test, it finished last, a long way behind its rivals. In wet braking, it had only taken off around half the speed and was still doing 24mph when the winning Continental had stopped. On the wet handling circuit, the lack of grip was scary, with lots of movement front and rear and little warning of which end would slide first."

Ref :- http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/wheels-and-tyres/60720/linglong-winter-hero-radical-650

Just goes to show that frankly some tyres are dangerous. ..

Couldn't agree more - sadly that person could be behind you. ...

Define "budget"?

Kumho and Falken fall somewhere in the middle, just have a look at some of the performance car forums and see the good reviews these ranges get.

I used to run my car on budget tyres, that were actually Goodyear.

I have lost track now but there were several including Avon that did

these budget tyres.

Nowadays I buy the best I can afford, for the type of driving I do, towing

and as fast as I can on suitable roads :D

The Auto Express tests can be usefull

http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/accessories-tyres/64390/product-awards-2013-best-summer-tyres

Edited by gumdrop

No, they are the only things keeping a grip on the road.

Budgets it's not then. ( My gut feeling anyway). Blackcircle are doing some good deals on Kumho tyres which seem to have good reviews. I do like the look of the Goodyear efficient grip. Top of the list in reviews.

No, they are the only things keeping a grip on the road.

Exactly.

Someone calculated that each tyre had about ten square inches of grip.

So that is all that is stopping you from kissing that truck in front of you !

David

Swizz

Who makes what tyres? Info here : https://www. easywheels. co. uk/manufacturers/

I have both Dextero and Austone on my car. Not had any problems with either brand.

Who makes what tyres? Info here : https://www. easywheels. co. uk/manufacturers/

I have both Dextero and Austone on my car. Not had any problems with either brand.

A very good post :goodpost: Thank you :)

Budgets it's not then. ( My gut feeling anyway). Blackcircle are doing some good deals on Kumho tyres which seem to have good reviews. I do like the look of the Goodyear efficient grip. Top of the list in reviews.

I put the Goodyears on the Smax last summer and can't fault them todate. They are quiet with excellent grip in both wet and dry. Not sure on economy as Mrs G uses the car most of the time and has lead shoes.

Not sure on life either as the Michelins were fairly well worn when we got the car.

Mike

I tried a pair of Hankook tyres on my last BMW, wear was as good as Goodyears, they made less noise, and they were cheaper. In terms of grip they were decent, but not outstanding, biggest problem was stability on the motorway - it was as twitchy as hell and absolutely ruined the drive, all over the road. Never again.

Tyre technology has come on in leaps and bounds and i run budget tyres on me Pickup,Van and my car and not had a issue in 8 years, also used them on Tractors .

Like TVs it says Toshiba and its ALBA inside, big tyre companies use shrewd methods to sell more .

Ste

Depends on what you mean by budget.

Presumably the tyres you are considering meet the relevant standards, in which case I would make my choice based on the ratings provided and any available reviews (if possible for your car and tyre size).

I think that the retailers rely on the "I fit the most expensive I can afford" mentally, especially when it comes to tyres and often it doesn't hold water.

Kumho and Hankook are the same company.

Don't confuse "Budget Tyres" with this cheap junk currently being imported from China.

Roadstone tyres are produced in a Michelin built factory in the far east somewhere, and are said to contain Michelin technology!!!!!

Edited by blondchaser

The budget tyres will be safer than a bald set of the most expensive.

If they are what you can afford them buy them, i'd rather have cheaper tyres than illegal ones.

You seem to have made your mind up to go with a mid range which probably the most sensible way to go. Tyres, like everything else, have a certain brand snobbery & you will to a certain extent be paying for the name with the better known brands & as we all know the most expensive isn't neccasarily the best product.

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I was looking at Avon tyres and they were less than£100 per tyre. They had a good write up as well . They are made by Cooper tyres in the States. I am considering them as I will probably need some before the end of the year. Don't think I would have cheap tyres though.

In my case no.

I remember quality long after I have forgotten price.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

NO NO NO, tyres are the only thing keeping you in contact with planet earth whilst driving. Get the best tyres you can afford. Check out the Michelin Primacy 3 - its a good tyre - just put them on my alhambra for 112 each from ATS.

NO NO NO, tyres are the only thing keeping you in contact with planet earth whilst driving. Get the best tyres you can afford. Check out the Michelin Primacy 3 - its a good tyre - just put them on my alhambra for 112 each from ATS.

According to the autoexpress tyre tests the 'best' summer tyre is the Continental Ecocontact 5