Dunc,

I have not seen anything in the instructions about altering SSID, I suspect it is an 'advanced' function and Motorhome wifi seem to discourage fiddling. Maybe you should email them, they are quick to respond.

When you get out and about with your iboost, you will be amazed how far it will detect a signal. You can sit outside your van smugly tapping away whilst others are trotting back and forth to be near the site office for a signal. .........

Les

Dunc

To make it even easier i have put my iboost onto a maxview pole so i can swivel it through 360 degrees to pick the best signal. the pole attaches to the caravan with suckers

download_zpsfeb3c7f6.jpg

Played around with it again today.

If I rotate it, I can get 34 wifi networks detected.

But only 3 on the iPhone/iPad !!!

Fantastic

Just to comment on this "no signal" thing

That's no signal detected by the PC / iPad etc.

What I've seen is that the signal is there, it's just so week the PC/ iPad etc can't detect it, but the iboost does.

I can pickup the wifi from a friends house 250m down the road, but they can't detect it outside the house walls on their phones etc, and that's not the weakest wifi signal. The boost also shows you how strong the wifi signal is

Edited by discodunc

I have recently bought the omnidirectional iboost system and I will permanently mount it on the van so it is there and ready all the time, I tested it at home, I can get 3 networks on the iPad, and between 19 and 25 with the iboost, I never knew my neighbours were so into wifi! Great piece of kit and easy to use.

I would like to thank tictag for his link to the "economy" version of a repeater. I bought one for £15. 00 including postage and I now have wi-fi in my garden! Easy to set up too! so I know need to locate a suitable roof aerial so I can see if it works in the van to. I am not expecting miracles but I am at least delighted with my purchase so far.

:-)

Whilst I appreciate all the replies, I'm not sure if they answer my question. So to re-cap >

What can I purchase to boost a very weak signal from the campsites wi-fi to use only on my mobile phone and my wifes Blackberry tablet, Whilst in my caravan.

I will not have a laptop at all in the caravan, hope everybody understrands :D

this motorhome iboost will do just that.

you don't need a PC to set it up, you can do it from your phone/blackberry etc

I set mine up using the iphone.

it will boost a wifi signal, it wont boost a mobile phone voice signal.

Whilst I appreciate all the replies, I'm not sure if they answer my question. So to re-cap >

What can I purchase to boost a very weak signal from the campsites wi-fi to use only on my mobile phone and my wifes Blackberry tablet, Whilst in my caravan.

Perhaps have a chat with Sophie or Adam at http://www. motorhomewifi. com/ Great couple who know their stuff and will offer no-obligation advice, just tell them what you're trying to achieve and they'll help you all the way. Highly recommended.

Edited by Pebble
  • Like 1

we understand perfectly. .. the Iboost. .. will connect direct to tablet and smartphone without the need of USB www. motorhomewifi. com

Thanks again for your prompt replies, it's very much appreciated :D:D

just answering my own question further up the thread.

you can change the SSID of the iboost local wifi to be whatever you want by connecting to the Router itself.

the router ip address and the alpha password are written on the back of the router.

This is the router IP address, not the ip address you use to find and connect to the wireless networks in range

Mine now says "DiscoDunc on Holiday" :D

Mine now says "DiscoDunc on Holiday" :D

That'd make me smile if I saw it when scanning for the camp WiFi :)

Thanks Dunc, I shall now attempt to alter our unit.

Will we all be able to secretly identify each other by wifi names??

just back from 3 weeks in spain and france. I cant praise this unit enough.

the last site we stayed at in St Omer, the iphones lost the site wifi signal about 200m from the caravan. the booster picked it up in the caravan and not only that, boosted the "DiscoDunc on holiday" signal all the way back to the reception restaurant area, some 250 metres, and it was still showing 2/5 bars on the iphones wifi strength !

Excellent piece of equipment. no longer need to keep going to campsite receptions and sitting on the walls to pick up emails etc. .

• Like 1

attachicon.gif229. JPG

We use this, the same as I Boost but £50. 00 cheaper

Do you have a link to the supplier?

I know this is an old thread.

But just to say, there are now many many ways to do this.

And all are far cheaper than iBoost or Solwise.

I use a TP Link CPE aerial which runs on PoE, and either a HooToo travel mate nano router or a TP Link nano router. Both will operate NAT and WISP, this means you pay once, and connect as many devices as you want.

On some sites I don't even need the external CPE antenna, I can use either of the nano routers in bridge mode connected to a TP Link repeater that I use at home to extend my own WIFI to the garden.

All my kit:

CPE antenna.

PoE injector.

WIFI extender.

TP Link nano router.

HooToo nano router.

Cost £70 total, and I have many many options for any situation.

• Like 1

I know this is an old thread.

But just to say, there are now many many ways to do this.

And all are far cheaper than iBoost or Solwise.

I use a TP Link CPE aerial which runs on PoE, and either a HooToo travel mate nano router or a TP Link nano router. Both will operate NAT and WISP, this means you pay once, and connect as many devices as you want.

On some sites I don't even need the external CPE antenna, I can use either of the nano routers in bridge mode connected to a TP Link repeater that I use at home to extend my own WIFI to the garden.

All my kit:

CPE antenna.

PoE injector.

WIFI extender.

TP Link nano router.

HooToo nano router.

Cost £70 total, and I have many many options for any situation.

Hi I H G,

Perhaps you could start a separate thread to explain how all of these devices work and the various circumstances you could use them for, and where you purchased the individual items from.

I for one would love to know and learn how such kit works and how to get the best from it.

Cheers.

Edited by Sea&Sand
  • Like 1

I can certainly do that if people would find it useful.

Technology has moved on a pace, there is CPE equipment available now that can utilise wifi over distances of 20Km+. (Line of Sight)

And 5Km is now considered 'old fashioned'.

• Like 1

Dunc

To make it even easier i have put my iboost onto a maxview pole so i can swivel it through 360 degrees to pick the best signal. the pole attaches to the caravan with suckers

download_zpsfeb3c7f6.jpg

Here's another idea I use. Posted it some time ago on another thread but still doing good service. Slightly modified the connection at the top of the pole now but the suction pads still work well and leave no mark on the van.

post-40823-0-29720300-1501482439_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As has been said please start a new thread, the subject is of interest.

• Like 1

Yes, a thread dedicated to the subject would be great.

John_b_45 post could perhaps be copied into it also.

Cheers I H G :Thankyou:

• Like 1

Perhaps I H G should wait until the forum upgrade is complete before starting a new thread.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/124342-please-read-forum-software-update/

Wouldn't want to miss anything :)

Edited by Sea&Sand

Sounds like a plan.

I will wait until the update is complete, and then post a wifi 101 type thread.

• Like 1