Wi-Fi Signal Booster

Hi all

I'm looking for a wi-fi signal booster to use in the caravan, but I only want it for my phone and not the laptop.

The caravan site we use regularly has wi-fi, but on some pitches it is hit and miss so I want to boost the signal to those relevant pitches.

Anybody got any ideas on how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Vauxhall Insignia 2. 0 CDTi SRi NAV Estate

towing a

Lunar Clubman SI 2011

yes, i have recently purchased the i boost from motorhome wifi

excellent piece of kit, enables wifi for ipad, iphone etc. .. have used several times and always managed to pick up a signal, very easy to set up. IMG_9017-2-608x962.jpg

http://www. motorhomewifi. com/product/iboost-d8-directional-system/

I have this setup.

Solwise usbwifirpt 3000 (wireless router accepts usb external antenna)

http://www. solwise. c. ..firpt-3000. html

Solwise Rocket usb antenna

http://www. solwise. c. ..rocket-bgn. html

Works a dream. You have your own wifi network in van, setup your own ssid and password. Does NAT on site wifi connection so all devices appear to come from same IP address/device to site :) Sign in on one laptop to wifi and all have access. You can use phone/tablet etc instead of laptop if you want. Router is wifi or cabled so can connect to sat receiver/tv if they have this functionality.

I have this setup.

How do you configure it? Do you need a lappy? Edited by TonyJover

No, you don't need a laptop, you can still connect locally via wifi to configure via default IP address.

Very simple interface. The company are also helpful, you can either call them, or email them if you have questions about it. They returned my emails very quickly.

Sorry to bang on but just to be clear. ...

I plug in the 2 items you listed above.

I connect to them, using default settings, using an iPhone or iPad over wifi. (?)

Via that connection I can configure the repeater to log onto the site wifi, entering passwords etc.

Once that side is configured I can now configure my 'personal' wifi and re-log-in to the repeater.

Yes?

Hi, Yes. The wifi was enabled by default, so gave an IP address if you joined the network.

Best give solwise a ring, or drop an email to confirm they still send them out with it enabled though.

Then just plug the antenna in, login, configure it to join the site wifi network, change your wifi settings as you want, and your going.

If you have a laptop at home or pc, you can also set the local wifi up prior to taking to van, you can ensure your phone connects before you go. then on site all you have to do is join to the site wifi.

post-66737-0-50687000-1400104611_thumb.jpg

We use this, the same as I Boost but £50. 00 cheaper

attachicon.gif229. JPG

We use this, the same as I Boost but £50. 00 cheaper

wish i had known about this before i purchased the iboost. ... it is exactly the same kit :) could have saved 50 quid

Camel train - where did you buy this from?

I'll find the contact details.

They do an omni directional for about 150. 00 I believe but 110. 00 for the panel was enough for me. Also does usb antennas and repeaters for tablet/phone/laptop connection and loads of other stuff at good prices. Seem to know their stuff

If you only want to connect your smartphone, you could just buy a simple £15 wifi repeater (e. g. http://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B003UZFSDG) and place it on your roof. Absolutely will not have as much gain as the iBoost or motorhome system but. ...it's £15!

tictag the link does not work?

You could use this http://tinyurl. com/lgsbjq9 usb wifi adapter which has the same Ralink 3070 chipset as the Solwise aerial above but not quite so much gain. Plug it straight into the laptop or extend it in a waterproof box onto the caravan roof with a usb cable extension. .

Black version available as EW7612 UAn v2.

We bought a directional iboost. It works extremely well and can 'pull' in a signal from quite a distance.

We are on BT broadband so it is possible to get wifi from nearby houses instead of the site system too!

I stick the sucker onto a china sideplate and put it on the roof via the skylight, then you can easily fiddle until you get a signal to work with.

Edited by staffordshirechina

thanks tictag, I have bought one to play around with!

Hmmm. .. still unsure about this.

I bought a simple but high-quality range extender a couple of years back for use in an apartment block that only has coverage on the balcony. I'm not an idiot with computers; I've been using them since you had to talk Basic to them, but I totally failed to get the repeater to log on to the secure wifi. Maybe I'll give it another go.

Tony

I must admit, I've only used mine a couple of times (I generally use 3G) but it's always worked. You just connect to the repeater, click the 'site survey' button and select the network (SSID), enter your credentials then connect your smartphone/laptop as usual. If your device 'sees' both radio signals, it will simply pick the strongest (which will undoubtedly be your repeater).

I think it can work as an access point as well but I've never used that function.

In my case it saw the SSID but failed to connect after entering the very long alphanumeric password. I can't remember the details but I think I'll try again in September when I'm next there.

Tony

If the OP says the site has pitches with no signal how would a repeater/booster work as they need to receive a signal to boost?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The OP doesn't say 'no signal' exactly, he says 'hit and miss' which I took to mean 'weak'.

Of course as you say, if he has no signal then his only recourse would be to move.

Tony

I'm not saying a repeater is the best solution, just that it's a cheap solution.

my Iboost arrived today - really pleased with it.

tested it in the caravan in the drive. with my ipad and iphone I cant see the home wifi and cant just about see a couple of the neighbours wifi.

with the iboost, not only can I see the home wifi, but I can see 15 other wifi networks, and that with the antennae pointing towards the house.

and the home wifi was one of the strongest signals. I can see how this would pick up a wifi on a site that the ipads etc couldn't see.

Really pleased - thanks for posting this thread :D:goodpost:

one question though.

is it possible to setup a user defined SSID and passkey for the Iboost WIFI, rather than the preset IBoost5 and passkey that comes with the unit ?

wanted to setup an SSID called "DiscoDunc on Holiday" :)