So You Want To Get A Static?

So you're thinking of getting a static caravan?

Well let me tell you my story and hopefully help you decide if it's right for you.

I got my tourer last year after many years of tenting. The freedom and choice along with everything already set up was the deciding factor in getting a tourer. Turn up, legs down, plug in and enjoy!

It has given us a chance to see if tin can tenting was right for us, and it was. We got to see many sites, many people and many places. The freedom to finish work on Friday evening and be somewhere in an hour was great. based in Manchester, we were on the doorstep of the Peaks, North Wales, Lancashire and North Staffs. There are literally hundreds of sites to choose from, with as many different experiences.

So why change? Why stick to one place when there is plenty of choice out there?

Well, for me, I have driven this pleasant land for many years as a truck driver, seen almost every town and city and done it twice. There is little to stir my excitement in getting to a new place. But there is a community feel and spirit that still survives in our leisure time of camping and caravan breaks. People, in general, are warm and friendly, have time to say hi, even lure you to the bar or share a burger. We are nice folk.

Now we did look at keeping our van, a lovely Abbey Aventura that is immaculate and serves our needs, and put it on a seasonal pitch. That is the same as getting a static without all the additional costs isn't it? Well, I wanted to make sure it was the right thing for us. We are each different with different needs.

So, my first priority was to look for a site that I wanted to return to without feeling I had to. It would need a bar or club house so I could escape once in a while and maybe even take the good lady out too if the wind was blowing in the right direction ;) We have all been to a site that we fell in love with, seems perfect and somewhere where you want to go back to. Well that is what I was looking for. Putting my van on there as a seasonal would mean I could get there quicker without the hassle of towing and everything was all set up and ready on arrival. Happy days.

Well I sat and thought, a lot. I would be at home watching the wind batter my windows and hope that the hail didn't come through the windows. Watching my lawn fill up with water and wonder if I could get heated trunks and make the most of our new garden pool! And that is is what made me think about getting a static.

The cost of a seasonal pitch compared to a static pitch does vary. But on a site that ticked my boxes, it was £500 or so difference. So I could have a van anchored to the floor, nice decking raised off the ground, lots of room, a proper toilet and full size hot shower without having to worry if it was still there on Friday night when I turn up. Not having to worry if my awning had turned into a kite, if I would need a pair of wellies just to get from the car to the van. I needed comforting. I wanted not to think about it till Friday.

Yes there was the cost of the van to start with, and prices from £6000 upwards it was the same as getting a good tourer. The only limits were the depth of your pockets. Now this is where you really need to focus and do research - lots of it!

Static holiday parks are sometimes known to drain your bank account quicker than a mistress. Ask lots of questions, from the park owners, staff, other static owners anyone and everyone. Ask for a copy of their contract, if they are honest and customer focussed, they will give it to you to read. Study it. Twice. You are making an investment in which you will probably end up losing money long term, so you are investing in a way of life really. The quality of your leisure time and how you use it to be frank.

So if you have got this far, well done! You are doing well.

Owning a holiday home falls into 2 categories for me. Home away from home in a place that you want to be, either in the country or by the sea. A place you can bolt to for rest and relaxation or whatever you want to do. OR a place you can have your away time and also rent it out to offset your costs or even earn money from. Here is my take on the difference between the two.

Home from home: An extension of me and my comforts, in surroundings that I want to enjoy and be part of. Knowing I have what I need when I need it. All mine.

Holiday rental: A place I can get away to but without the personal touch and comforts. Needs to be kept in 'Hire ready' standard every time you leave. Needs managing from key handover and cleaning to marketing and book keeping.

I wanted to relax, have my own things to hand, not worry if the windows were dirty as they could be cleaned next time, leave my favourite coffee mug in the cupboard, enjoy my time at my pace.

There is lots to understand in static ownership, and I will write another post on that soon. But for now, I hope you have taken something from this and maybe it has helped you in your choices. The key thing to remember is take your time! Look at what is right for you - long term. It can be hard trying to sell it on and I will cover that in my next post.

Any questions, then please ask. This is my first time and I have done lots of research to make sure it is what WE wanted.

Have fun, be safe.

H.

Hi Honk

What a great write up, I eagerly await your future posts on the subject of static caravan ownership.

Best regards

Derek

Great post Honk. .. very insightful. I have thought about a seasonal pitch now and then but never really got to the point of looking for a site. We are happy touring for now :-). However I had never really thought about some of the points you raised (awning turned into a kite) and I think it's something that would be in the back of my mind as well.

Good luck and do keep posting to let us know how you get on.

Mark.

What a great write up Phil!......and not a spelling mistake in sight! :D "It can be hard trying to sell

it on and I will cover that in my next post" You're not selling it already!!? :o

Cheers! ;)

Thanks folks, appreciated ;)

What a great write up Phil!......and not a spelling mistake in sight! :D "It can be hard trying to sell

it on and I will cover that in my next post" You're not selling it already!!? :o

Cheers! ;)

Gravy - (that's my new name for you) I'm not selling already, but wanted to find out my options when the time comes. It can be a minefield on static parks which I will cover next time.

H.

That's what GAS calls me! :D I know you're not selling, I was being fas. .........fasc. .........funny! :)

Edited by gravon42