Back Windows In Caravans

johan muller

Hi there

I am living in South Africa. The latest caravan designs here have included the closing up of the back of the caravans ie doing away with the back windows that allowed us to see through the caravan when towing (quite a nice safety device). I have no idea what the models in the UK looks like and whether your caravans are also closed up at the back or not. Can you please indicate to me what the direction regrading the designs of the backs of the caravans are and also how you feel about being able to see through the caravan when towing.

Regarding my Afrikaans reply in the "Welcome" section, I have responded in Afrikaans due to Ian's Afrikaans question to me, sorry about that, future replies from me will be in English to ensure that all forum members can follow the discussions.

Johan

Hi there

I am living in South Africa. The latest caravan designs here have included the closing up of the back of the caravans ie doing away with the back windows that allowed us to see through the caravan when towing (quite a nice safety device). I have no idea what the models in the UK looks like and whether your caravans are also closed up at the back or not. Can you please indicate to me what the direction regrading the designs of the backs of the caravans are and also how you feel about being able to see through the caravan when towing.

Regarding my Afrikaans reply in the "Welcome" section, I have responded in Afrikaans due to Ian's Afrikaans question to me, sorry about that, future replies from me will be in English to ensure that all forum members can follow the discussions.

Johan

Hi

Welcome to the board.

The question of having windows or not in the back of caravans is something I've been thinking about recently. With the increase in fixed bed caravans there are an increasing number of vans around with big blank rears. I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't providing a rather unfriendly face to other road users as I certainly feel rather 'uncomfortable' when I'm following one of these. I always feel more comfortable following a van with a rear window, it seems more 'friendly'. Is it me or do others feel the same?

Quite agree - I use the 'see-through' to great effect when driving. In addition, using the washroom ( at the back) wouldn't be the same with a blank wall; when the washroom is open the light from the back appears to increase the living area.

As a BTW, I should not worry about using a different language to reply to someone who used it first

Welcome to the forum.

Before we committed ourselves to a fixed bed we pondered on the options of model etc and having a rear window or not was part of our descision. we chose to go with the window model (1) while towing i could see what was going on behind me and also i find it easier to judge while reversing especially when i am on my own (2) we like alot of light in the van.

Dave.

hi, we have the Bailey Vendee and that has a fixed bed and the rear window which is very useful when towing + the Nissan Terrano is higher than your everyday saloon, and having that elevated position helps enormously when looking through the rear-view mirror and no need for vibrating extension mirrors.

rustygates

Most caravans here inthe UK retain a rear window, however we do have those with a "closed" rear wall as shown in the pics.

Caravan_rear_walls.jpg

We also have some caravans with a rear cycle rack fitted as shown here.

Cycle_rack_thumbnail.jpg

Through vision is not possible with either of these options, either for the driver of the towcar, or for following motorists. You imply this is not an ideal situation, however it is no different from the rear of a commercial vehicle, and as such should present no greater risk to road users. We do have a rear window on our caravan, and always travel with the window blinds up and curtains open. That said, there is a reflective privacy film on the rear window (since it looks into the toilet compartment) so through vision is not possible for a following vehicle, although I, as the towcar driver, can see following traffic through the caravan rear window. I've towed trailers both with and without through vision, and frankly, provided good quality side mirrors are fitted to the towcar, it makes little difference either way.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi All

Well as you will be able to see slightly the back of my van has a window but it is only off use when in the bathroom and no use to see through, personally it doesn’t really bother me if a van has a window in the back of not but if it dose it is always nice to have a little look and decipher the layout and what is towing the unit.

Regards

JON

post-651-1148588654_thumb.jpg

Archived