Sign in to follow this  
dreadly

Are Mifi 3G Booster Aerials Worth The Money?

I have just bought the Argos 29. 99 mifi T-mobile deal from Argos and then unlocked it :) Fantastic for the money. Just wondering if there is anybody who is clued up on aerials and 3g in particular as to whether it is worth purchasing a TS9 fitment booster antenna from e-bay or if I am likely wasting my money?

Plan is to put the mifi in a tupperware container on the roof of the van with an external booster antenna of some sort slightly raised from the roof to avoid ghosting and such. ..

I work hard for my beer tokens so I don't want to purchase another fake ebay device. ..

Looking at this sort of thing --> http://www. ebay. co. uk/sch/i. html?_odkw=E5332+battery&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573. m570. l1313. TR4. TRC1. A0. H0. Xts9+antenna&_nkw=ts9+antenna&_sacat=0

I remember a "flat" aerial reviewed in a computer magazine (Computer Shopper?)

but although I wrote it down I cannot find it!

Have only had one occasion when our mifi wouldn't get a workable signal without an external aerial (3) and that was recently at Cannock C & CC site. I do have an aerial (expensive) but haven't needed to use it. It didn't help at Cannock when I did attempt to use it but then there was no mobile signal on 3, T mobile or Orange and had to go nearly half a mile to get one. Site wifi was excellent and only there for two days. On balance I think that it isn't worth getting one. Have not normally needed to place the mifi unit outside as always worked fine in front window.

Same here as I have the mifi with a 3 card and it has always got a signal. I think that if you can't get it without an extra ariel it is unlikely to make a huge difference without going really techie and expensive and I for 1 would do without for the odd occasion this might occur.

Suggest you speak to Adam or Sophie at http://www. motorhomewifi. com/ They will give you honest and accurate advice and won't try to sell you anything unless it's what you're after. Honestly, there's no pressure to buy from them but once you've had the low down on mobile WiFi, you feel compelled to give them your business. Highly recommended company in the motorhome world.

Hi

I'm with you on the Tupperware container - sort of - but a Pringles can works better. Trust me!

Russ

Hi

I'm with you on the Tupperware container - sort of - but a Pringles can works better. Trust me!

Russ

Doesn't it blow away :unsure: ?

Google the word "cantenna". (Can and antenna)

Pringles tubes are the best!

Russ

Not sure why you would want an external antenna and put your mifi device outside, once you connect an external antenna to any device, the device chooses which one to use, it doesn't use both. In other words either buy an external antenna and connect to your mifi device inside or don't bother with the antenna and place your mifi device outside.

I installed an external omni-directional 3G/4G antenna, fed the cable inside to my mifi device. When the phone gets nothing, connecting it to my antenna usually gives me a good three bars (I have a Samsung and they all have an external antenna port on the back)

I have a good quality 3G / 4G antenna and it works very well indeed for me. I used to put my mifi in the roof light or in extreme cases outside In a box but no need now. Especially with my new EE Buzzard device plugged into the van 247. No more needing to charge up my mifi etc. only £59 inc 2 GB of data, bit of a bargain IMO.

I am going to throw a cat in here, ok? As I recall, and I don't think it has changed recently as I have just checked OFCOM website and it still gives the same advice;

Due to the use of Smart Phones and the like, handheld units were exempted from wireless radio licensing. Boosters - or repeater stations - are NOT.

Ofcom make it quite clear that Mobile internet signal boosters are NOT exempt from the regulations update, and require licensing. You will see many sellers will not mention it when selling you one, and many are unaware until caught and fined later as they assume they are exempt as a mobile phone extension. Mobile phones are wireless radio transceivers that were previous to 2010 covered by the network operators licence (now exempt) but the booster repeaters are not. Mainly due to them interfering with radio coms due to shoddy build quality of many.

Like many UK laws, it is OK to sell them - OK to own them, you break the law when you try to use them as it is a wireless repeater which needs a licence.

I am going to throw a cat in here, ok? As I recall, and I don't think it has changed recently as I have just checked OFCOM website and it still gives the same advice;

Due to the use of Smart Phones and the like, handheld units were exempted from wireless radio licensing. Boosters - or repeater stations - are NOT.

Ofcom make it quite clear that Mobile internet signal boosters are NOT exempt from the regulations update, and require licensing. You will see many sellers will not mention it when selling you one, and many are unaware until caught and fined later as they assume they are exempt as a mobile phone extension. Mobile phones are wireless radio transceivers that were previous to 2010 covered by the network operators licence (now exempt) but the booster repeaters are not. Mainly due to them interfering with radio coms due to shoddy build quality of many.

Like many UK laws, it is OK to sell them - OK to own them, you break the law when you try to use them as it is a wireless repeater which needs a licence.

The subject has been mifi devices and their aerials

Isn't a mifi device the same as a smart phone and receives a signal then relays it, by wifi, to another device just like tethering with a smart phone? Doesn't an aerial only improve incoming phone signal reception but not the wifi transmission and there is no booster or amplification involved. ..or have I got it wrong?

Edited by beejay

I'm with Beejay on this.

You're not boosting the cellular network, you're creating your own wireless network. If this was illegal then every BT Homezone customer and every Virgin Broadband customer would be breaking the law.

Heck, so would every Macdonalds, Costa Coffee and the myriad other places that have WiFi.

Tony

I have just tested one of these this evening.

http://m. ebay. co. uk/itm/230860972026?nav=SEARCH

Yes it does work, arrived at site no signal on the mifi plug in an full signal about 3mb on download. OK it is directional, but a small amount of fiddling and full signal.

Edited by brotherdeal

Hi,

We are sitting here in a field at Tal-y-bont ( About 16 miles up the Conwy valley ) with my cheap chinese tablet hooked to a Huawei Mobile wifi unit with a EE card in it. We have hills all around us BUT we are getting a good 3 bar signal. TheHuawei is sitting on the front window cill--- no ariel. We have in the past used it( the ariel ) on one rally we were the only one who got a signal !

david

P. S.-- It has been a very hot day here-- wall to wall sunshine ! now cooling down.

Edited by david 1220

Hi,

We are sitting here in a field at Tal-y-bont ( About 16 miles up the Conwy valley ) with my cheap chinese tablet hooked to a Huawei Mobile wifi unit with a EE card in it. We have hills all around us BUT we are getting a good 3 bar signal. TheHuawei is sitting on the front window cill--- no ariel. We have in the past used it( the ariel ) on one rally we were the only one who got a signal !

david

P. S.-- It has been a very hot day here-- wall to wall sunshine ! now cooling down.

David - what aerial do you use?

Hi,

It came with the Huawei ( Bought on Ebay ) the only marking on it is the letter W. It is fitted with a suction cup for placing on the roof of the van.

david

• Like 1