Vauxhall Frontera 2.2 Tdi

spursboy61

A workmate has just bought one of these as he intends going back to touring instead of siting his caravan on one park for the season. Any comments on these as a towcar, also, what should he expect to pay to have a towbar fitted? Thanks in advance

Mikey :)

The towbars are so easy to fit, the holes are already there. Just bolt em in.

Wiring is the only thing, and you can get to that dead easy inside rear passenger side panel in boot.

Towsure are doing them for 110, and witter for 140 quid.

As a towcar, im biased a bit, but this is my 4th fronty, 2. 2 DTi. Ive had the 2. 0 petrol, 2. 3 diesel, 2. 5 diesel, now this. In between throw in 3 Discoverys, a Shogun and a couple of estate cars.

Solo driving over 30 MPG, towing 25 plus. Loads of power, and torque, far more stable than a lot of 4x4's. 2 wheel drive, which can be switched into 4 wheel drive on the move up to 62 mph.

Roomy, comfortable, very very good towcars. nose weight 112 kgs, which is more than most. Pretty quick with not much turbo lag.

They are excellent vehicles for towing.

They do have their faults like any car. just make sure they never run out of diesel, have to go back to dealers to be bled through on a machine. Fuel pump is a bit of a pig to change, so servicing mainly at a decent garage who knows them. Saying that parts are dirt cheap, and the 2. 2 DTi is considered to be the best engine vauxhall have put in anything for years.

Bullet proof.

If he plans to have a towbar fitted by someone else, Witters list the whole job, including wiring, at 1 hour labour. So dont let him get ripped off.

But the towbars really are just bolt in jobs.

One more thing. If he's buying a new van, or newish van, make sure he puts a spacer on the towball if he is buying a caravan with an Alko hirch, otherwise they can be awkward to get on due to the spare sticking out a bit. Ive got a spacer on mine, and the slightly extended Alko towball, no problems now.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

I would like to second everything Brassneck has said in the above post, we are on our 3rd Funtera (as i call it) and I just love them to bits great to drive, Hubby never has any complaint when Towing we have the 2. 2dti, we change the oil every six month wether it is needed or not and service once a year. :D

Shiba. :rolleyes:

We have had 4 Fronteras in the past and only changed because they were discontinued. The 2. 2DTI is the finest of the engines and the torque it produces makes for eforless relaxed towing. As brass neck says fuel economy is good for a 4x4 and servicing isnt to dificult. The only job I would advice to leave to a garage is changing the fuel filter. I used to change ours and didnt have problems, but if you get air in the system it is a sod to bleed so best left to garages.

Regular oil changes are important, I always did ours at 6 monthly intervals (although VX stated 10 months) I am a firm believer if you look after the car it will look after you. Also it is worth getting the bleed of pipes changed every 5 years (not expensive) as they can become porus which leads to poor starting. I am sure you will have many happy miles of motoring. :D

I too am a firm fan of the Fronty. My Olympus is my sixth I have had. All other point agreed with. If you can get the 2. 2 diesel as it is best of bunch. I changed my Olympus at 18 months old to get this one because it was practically the last one built.

Trouble is I don't know what to get now - I am overdue for changing. Kia gets good reports but I was not impressed with the ride after the Frontera. I am waiting to try the new Santa Fe but there is an August / September lead time. By which time the Antara will be here [Vauxhalls replacement model] So i might just wait for that

Many thanks for all your replies. I have passed them on to my workmate and he is now feeling much happier with his choice. He is intending to fit the towbar himself over the Bank Holiday. Will let you know how he gets on.

Once again, thanks. Mikey :):):)

p. s. What a great forum this is. :)

I too am a firm fan of the Fronty. My Olympus is my sixth I have had. All other point agreed with. If you can get the 2. 2 diesel as it is best of bunch. I changed my Olympus at 18 months old to get this one because it was practically the last one built.

Trouble is I don't know what to get now - I am overdue for changing. Kia gets good reports but I was not impressed with the ride after the Frontera. I am waiting to try the new Santa Fe but there is an August / September lead time. By which time the Antara will be here [Vauxhalls replacement model] So i might just wait for that

We had great difuculties finding a replacement for the Frontera, initialy we looked at the Sorento as on paper it seems to be what we wanted. However after test driving it, it was not for us. Next was the P38 diesel Range Rover but it was to underpowered. After a long search and more test drives than I care to remember we finally narrowed it down to 2 the New Land rover Discovery and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The Grand Cherokee won the day but it was close. The Frontera is one of the most under rated 4x4's, to many people judge them freom the earliest examples and dont realise what a fine car the Fronty (B) is and how smooth, powerful and economical the 2. 2 DTI is.

• 1 month later...

As far as im aware on the Fronty, the wiring is there, as is the ECU mapping. it just needs the stalk with the cruise controls on it, similar to the Vectras, and then plugged into the plug under the dash.

In Consilio Sapienta

Yes it`s so easy, but you need to check to see if you have the correct type of brake light switch and if you have the clutch switch fitted, also the small square multi-plug under the top steering colum cowl if these are there then it`s all go after fitting the indicator/dip stalk with the CC buttons on the end. I did this mod to my Vectra 2. 0 DTI 18 months ago and as I work in the motor trade (panel-beater) I got the new stalk for £29. ?? + VAT. It can also be done to a Zafira and Astra 2. DTi

Brassneck have you not checked to see if there is an Kia Sedonna owners club, I have done a few mods to my car including total closure from the ig. key. I got all my info from fellow members of the Vectra owners club, www. vvoc. com. Surely there must be a Kia club, well worth a google search.

Can you elaborate a bit more. .....is it just a simple plug in the same as the vectra diesel?

Basically yes bofus.

The plug is behind the dash already, if i remember right its on the top side of the steering column. I also think its red, but you would have to check on that.

All you need is the stalk from said frontera. Unfortunately no other stalks fit, although they look pretty much the same as vectras, they arent.

And thats about it really. If you dont get help from above, try www. fronteraowners. co. uk

In Consilio Sapienta

A while ago on www. dieselcar. com I was giving advice to a fellow Vectra owner about fitting C/Control to his car and another chap answered me back saying that it worked for him on his 2. 2 diesel Fronty, he had aquired a swith from a scrap yard plugged it in and it worked staight away. Have a look at the site and do a search and sent him a PM

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Redhead49

Just changed to a Frontera 2. 5 td from a Vauxhall Estate 1700 dti, the difference in pulling power is amazing, no more embarrassing struggles up hills like I had before, hardly know the van is on the back, I am definetely a Fronty convert :)

Guest Redhead49

Shiba can I be nosy and ask if you have that lovely breed of dog (know its off topic, bur just a quick question) have admired them at dog shows, I have 7 Papillon myself and they all love camping. :)