Sign in to follow this  
BazzaUK

Adria 502 Up 2002

Hi ladies and gents,

I'm looking for some advice on a Adria 502 UP 2002 model. I've been to view it with the intention to buy, as I'm looking for a cheap van with a fixed bed. The van in question seems good value, but comes with 2 issues:

1. There is some body damage above the door. There are 2 cracks that run from each top corner of the door, up towards the roof. They have been previously sealed up and I'm assured that they do not let in water.

2. The water heater does not light and it's gas only. This is not a deal breaker for us, as we boil water on the hob for most things and never shower in the van, opting to use the on-site facilities instead.

2 more things struck me when viewing the van, and this was that the water tank had been removed from under the fixed bed. Apparently the previous owner didn't like it and removed it and replaced it with a Whale pump instead, which is situated in the front locker. Also, the battery charger appears to have been an afterthought and it just a black box under the front seat (I think I've seen a similar arrangement in other makes/models) but what I find strange is there is no battery status panel or switch etc to see the current battery condition or charge. Is this normal?

Other than the above, the van looks to be in great condition internally with no soft spots or visual signs of damp anywhere. I have been told by the current owner that the van has no water ingress and I have no reason to think otherwise. Inside all cupboards and under bed etc seems clean and tidy.

My question is, this van has been offered to us for much less than book value and I've seen them sell at this year and condition (minus the door damage) for £5k upwards through a dealer for the same year. If I said we have been offered it for £2500 in its current condition, do you think that represents a pretty good deal, given we may spend some money having the door professionally repaired, and the water heater repaired/replaced.

Would REALLY value you advice as I'm new to Adria vans and understand that on some earlier models, some items were fitted aftermarket to get certification etc, so the strange battery charger issue could be normal for a van of this year.

Thank you very much in advance

Baz

Some images of the door damage

post-59436-0-38439200-1399523914_thumb.jpg

post-59436-0-86235900-1399523923_thumb.jpg

Hi

Firstly have you damp tested it yourself or got a mobile engineer maybe to check it over for you? Wouldn't cost huge amounts and may give you piece of mind. This should be par for course for any second hand van

£2500 may or may not be cheap depending on if van is dry or not, especially bearing in mind the stress fractures above door you have. Was it professionally repaired and are there receipts to prove?

As far as battery charger, I doubt this would have ever been fitted originally same with cooker and such as EU vans usually didn't have them. Again worth having the electrics checked out although these can be redone, not as potentially disastrous as a damp riddled van.

The water heater may simply need a good service from a Gas engineer and a few new parts. If not an electric only water heater could be put in although could be a few hundred

For me it doesn't sound cheap enough for a 12 year old van with noticeable body damage. There is no way a van like this would sell for £5k with body damage anywhere. Properly repaired and if in decent condition I would agree it could attract that sort of figure as they are quite rare and a very nice van

If being offered very cheaply do be aware and try and check out if stolen etc. Check if its been CRiS registered, have you seen it at owners house or own storage yard. Does owner have service history original manuals etc

Normally advice for this sort of state van would be walk away, another will be along shortly but with this model actually it may not be as pretty rare

Good luck and hope that helps a little

Thats for the feedback sunshine. . I completely take onboard what you're saying and im being careful not to let my heart rule my head. However, even the cheapest fixed bed caravans are fetching around £4k for a reasonable one, and currently thats outside our budget until we sell our existing van. The owner has said they have sent away for a replacement CRiS document, as they have lost the current one. We didn't see it at their house, but we did visit the storage area, so didn't view it at the side of the road.

I'd be happy to take this van, based on it's price, in the knowledge i'll probably have it repaired at some point down the road and so long as it's water tight in the meantime. My priority is to just try and pick up a tidy van, even if it has a few flaws, which i can then work on over time. I know that for £2. 5k, we are not going to get a mint condition van at this year and to this standard.

Are body panel repairs on the Adria's any different than body panels on other vans? Are they made of different materials, and does this make them easier or harder to repair, do you know?

My thoughts are currently, so long as it's water tight and usable in the short term, we can get out and about in it an enjoy some of this season, with a view to spending some of the money we saved on buying it at say £4-5k in great condition, to make it good enough to last us for 2-3 years.

The only thing putting me off, is the door fractures. Any idea how these may have occured? Do you think they are fixable without replacing the whole panel?

Sorry for all the questions and I really do appreciate your advice.

"They have been previously sealed up and I'm assured that they do not let in water. "

I would never take a sellers assurance that the van does not let in water, always test it yourself with a damp meter, or better still get a mobile engineer to check it over for you as mentioned above.

From the pictures it really doesn't look professionally repaired and I would be very concerned about the cracks.

If it was me I think I would walk away.

Thing is Bazza you have to look at lifetime cost. It may only be £2500 but in 3/4 years you may only get "scrap" value for it if it turns out to be a lemon plus more importantly what you may have had to spend in meantime trying to sort it .

Spending £4/5k now and in 5 years time a decent van may still be worth £2. 5/£3k or so plus a lot less aggro/money in repairs.

The fractures above the door look like either accident or simply stress fractures. the problem with older EU vans like this they have a different dimpled external finish to modern vans.

May be worth contacting someone like Caravan Medic on here who does this sort of thing for a living as he may be able to provide more advice?

My head is definitely saying walk away I am afraid and sell your existing van to fund a decent new one

I assume the door is forward of the Axle. Is it on the kerb side? If it is it is possible it has been Potholed(given the damage a bl. ...y big pothole). I have seen something similar on another make and the manufacturer stated that this wasn't covered under the warranty. . I personally would walk away as it's not economic to repair to a reasonable standard especial given the dimpled finish. If however you still want the van then I would double check the wheel/axle area on the same side as the damage. It is possible that this may not get worse if it was linked to a pothole but If you do want it I would offer him perhaps £1500 and see what he says. You must appreciate it will have very little market value in the future as most buyers would walk away.

Yes you are correct that it wasn't fitted with a control panel or charger when manufactured. All Adrias from 2009 are fitted with a charger but even then quite a lot still don't have control panels.(Adria have not felt that these are not necessary on the lower spec vans and I have to agree). I didn't miss it on my2010 Altea 542dt . I also had the previous model the 542UK 2008 and I had to fit my own charger to that.

Hi Wizzo, thanks for the advice.

The door is indeed forward of the axle and is on the kerb side so a pothole is quite possible. To repair something of this nature, are we usually talking hundreds, maybe thousands of pounds? Cosmetically, it doesn't really bother me too much, but then it would be nice to know it's pretty sound. I only plan to hang onto this van for maybe 2-3 years maximum and in fairness, as £2. 5k, it wouldn't overly bother me if the sale value was almost scrap after that time, working on the premise, that i've had 2-3 years of holidays for the price of an average med cruise.

I have seen vans of a similar age in perfect condition going for around £4-5k, so i suppose you get what you pay for with the damaged door. I just hope that if we buy it, it will last out says 2 years, in which time we will have saved enough for a much better, newer van.

So, working on the basis that i'd be happy in 2-3 years to scrap the van and accept it holds no residual value. And that fingers crossed, the door area stayed strong enough and water-tight enough to make it through that timespan, would you say that the van would generally be up to the job? Given that its extremely solid and clean inside and appears the same outside, with the exception of the door.

So, working on the basis that i'd be happy in 2-3 years to scrap the van and accept it holds no residual value. And that fingers crossed, the door area stayed strong enough and water-tight enough to make it through that timespan, would you say that the van would generally be up to the job? Given that its extremely solid and clean inside and appears the same outside, with the exception of the door.

On that part yes. problem is if you need to spend more on it to keep it dry or road worthy I guess, then it won't just be £2. 5k down drain

Thanks so much for all the help and advice so far. I genuinely really appreciate it and take everything you guys say onboard.

Also worth giving CRiS a ring to check on vin number,before handing over the folding stuff. If seller is genuine he'll understand.

Having previously purchased a van that had more damp than I initially thought I would walk away or get it thoroughly inspected before I talked cash as much as you think it's ok now these things play on your mind. The repair looks like it has just been filled with mastic and not a professional job in the slightest.

If the van came back dry and roadworthy then it may be worth considering. When I got my old van the gas water heater didn't work, it was a carver 2 gas and electric. It turned out that all was needed was the pilot and heater exchange to be hovered out as it was full of cobwebs and it worked fine.

I think if you are prepared to put the hours in looking there is better out there for your money and would leave this where it is.

Good evening, 

I’m looking for a back light for an Adria 502 2002 UK caravan please? Any advice  on where I could source one please?

kind regards

Ciara