Passat Tdi

bighair

Does anyone tow with a Passat 130 TDI?Just want to know what you think. Would a Mondeo 130 TDCI be any better?

Just bought an A4 130 TDi today, essentially the same as a Passat. I can let you know in about a month. I currently tow with a Mondeo (1. 8 petrol) It's stable enough, but lacks power.

I'd say if you want to spend less, take the Mondeo, I'm well impressed with the ride and handling of ours, been a great car, but lacks badge. If you want some badge, go for the Passat.

Does anyone tow with a Passat 130 TDI?Just want to know what you think. Would a Mondeo 130 TDCI be any better?

I tow with my Passat 130 SE TDI (saloon) and am waiting delivery on a Bailey S5 500/5 which is a 85% match. Dont know how its going to perform with this heavier van !? My current van is 12 year old Avondale Perle Adonis and returns about 30mpg on average when towing, 40mpg around town and 50mpg on a run up the A65 to the dales.

I personally think its a great towcar, plenty of torque and excellent economy (with and without fully laiden van attached)

Regards

Kev

Edited by kevina

I have the new 140tdi and towing is very good, only one comment, the loading of the van seems to effect stability more the the previous Mazda, tow bar down load is more important

And remember VW tend to understate the power of their engines a,130 engine will be nearer 140

My 140, tested by Diesel Car Mag was giving 158

Happy with the Santa Fe for towing but I have a new contract up north once a week and it costs a fair bit in diesel. Need something with more miles to the gallon. If anyone wants a 54 plate Santa in black with three years warranty left,let me now.

Should I worry about a higher than average milage car if dealer serviced from new?

We have the PD115 Passat Estate and my sister has the PD130 Estate to tow their Oddysey 505. We both find the car an excellent work horse. The low down torque is brilliant. mpg is also very good.

Emma

One of the best saloon and estate tugs available together with many of it's TDI VAG stablemates.

The B5. 5 Passat TDI (2002-2006) is £ for lb a bargain being based on Audi A4 at the front and Audi A6 at the back for Mondeo money (not knocking the Mondeo). :)

Frank

I had the same choice to make at the beginning of the year.

It was an easier choice for me as I drive the Passat and Mondeo often through my work.

The Passat does feel a little more upmarket than the Mondeo but the post 2003 facelift Mondeo's close the gap significantly.

The Mondeo is a far more satisfying solo drive, the Passat feels soggy and numb compared to the fluid drive and sharp steering feel of the Mondeo. Getting the sport suspension on the Passat doesn't help the handling or steering and just makes the ride hard IMO.

Engine wise the VAG unit is slightly more economical than the TDCi in the Ford but it isn't as refined as the TDCi. The VAG unit has more diesel knock at idle and is more vocal under power.

Both the PD130 VAG and TDCi130 engines are rated at 130PS, the early Passat 5 speeders had a limited torqe output of 210lbft and the 6 speeders are 228lbft. The TDCi 130 has a continuos output of 243lbft and a 20second maximum of 260lbft when required which is handy for overtaking etc.

As you can see I went for the Mondeo as I don't really enjoy driving the VW. If you do go down the Ford route avoid the LX model as the outside looks low rent with the wheel trims and the interior feels poor with the plastic steering wheel and trim. You can pick Ghia trim up for just a few hundred more than the Zetec and you gain a lot of kit, 6CD Sony sound system, upgraded seating with electric passenger seat, auto dimming mirror, power fold mirrors with puddle lights, auto wipers, auto headlights etc, and that's on top of the standard, climate control, cruise control, trip computer, heated front screen etc. etc.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

I agree with everything Lee says, also the Ghia does have self levelling rear suspension, which might be worth having. Having said that my Zetec estate pulls our Pageant at 1396kg with no problems.

The new Passat estate is heavier and larger than the Mondeo and previous model Passat.

Lloyd

I tend to agree with the points made above.

The main problem I had with my Passat was the soft rear suspension.

Given a choice between Passat and Mondeo, I would go for a Mondeo estate. (having said that I went for the Sharan TDI 130 Sport. Big and heavy, plenty of grunt AND economical)

Neil

As someone who went from Mondeo 130TDCI to a Passat 130 Estate last November and going back to a Mondeo shortly, I suppose I can comment on both.

The Passat is good for economy averaging 52 - 54mpg on runs to Manchester most days, but the handling with van on is to say the least twitchy, much better if you switch the stability control off. Which is a shame really as the car in other respects matches/beats the Mondeo. It is much quieter under load.

One thing to watch with them are gearboxes (mine was replaced at 2 days old). They also have weak shock absorbers on later cars. Also started to have aelectrical glitches.

From the above now going back to Mondeo Ghia for the self levelling suspension, as I am completely dissatisfied with VW's customer service. At least I know what the main faults with Mondeo are, and can regognise the symptoms.

Edited by Award1

• 2 weeks later...

Back off hols now. Thanks all for the replies. I had not thought of the Mondeo again as I had a 2001 model and had nothing but probs. I know the new one is good and am now having a test drive tomorrow of a 55 plate Ghia. Fingers crossed. Any one any advice about my van and towing with the Mondeo. I think it will be ok but want to be sure before saying yes! :)

How did you get on?

What weight is your Lexon?

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

How did you get on?

What weight is your Lexon?

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee

Liked the Ghia but going to see a titanium tomorrow in silver. Looks really good with a leather pack. The lunar is 1350 max. I think it should be fine. The 130 bhp goes like the wind. It shocked me!

How does your pull?Is it a 130 or 115? Andy

Hi Lee

Liked the Ghia but going to see a titanium tomorrow in silver. Looks really good with a leather pack. The lunar is 1350 max. I think it should be fine. The 130 bhp goes like the wind. It shocked me!

How does your pull?Is it a 130 or 115? Andy

The Ghia and Titanium are priced the same as are the GhiaX and TitaniumX. The Ghia's have more traditional trim with fake wood etc and the Titaniums are more contemporary styled with fake alloy trim.

The Titanium looses out on some toys like the 6CD multichanger but gains bigger alloys and privacy glass.

The GhiaX is is available with full leather or leather/alcantara with full climate control of the seating and 8 way power adjustment. The TitaniumX has the leather/alcantara seating but looses the 8 way power adjustement. The TitaniumX also looses the 6CD auto changer and a few other GhiaX bits but has 18" alloys, privacy glass and ESP. Depends which styling and toys you prefer.

Mine is a 2005 130 6 speed Ghia. It pulls my van like a dream and it's a similar weight to yours. 6th gear is not much good on inclines but it's geared at 35mph/1000rpm. Other than that the biggest problem is keeping the speed down.

The 130's power output is pretty average with the new VAG stuff being 140PS and stuff like the BMW320D having 160PS. No one matches the Mondeo's maximum torque output of 260lbft though, most only push out around 236lbft, it gives the Mondeo massive midrange grunt and means towing up hill is a breeze.

Cheers

Lee

The Ghia and Titanium are priced the same as are the GhiaX and TitaniumX. The Ghia's have more traditional trim with fake wood etc and the Titaniums are more contemporary styled with fake alloy trim.

The Titanium looses out on some toys like the 6CD multichanger but gains bigger alloys and privacy glass.

The GhiaX is is available with full leather or leather/alcantara with full climate control of the seating and 8 way power adjustment. The TitaniumX has the leather/alcantara seating but looses the 8 way power adjustement. The TitaniumX also looses the 6CD auto changer and a few other GhiaX bits but has 18" alloys, privacy glass and ESP. Depends which styling and toys you prefer.

Mine is a 2005 130 6 speed Ghia. It pulls my van like a dream and it's a similar weight to yours. 6th gear is not much good on inclines but it's geared at 35mph/1000rpm. Other than that the biggest problem is keeping the speed down.

The 130's power output is pretty average with the new VAG stuff being 140PS and stuff like the BMW320D having 160PS. No one matches the Mondeo's maximum torque output of 260lbft though, most only push out around 236lbft, it gives the Mondeo massive midrange grunt and means towing up hill is a breeze.

Cheers

Lee

Hi lee

Good god thats a fast diesel car. Its all over now bar the dealing!Its a 2. 2 155. Letting him have a think about it at the moment. Its up for 13600. I want it for a bit less. Offered me a fair px price. Do you think I have a chance or should I go for a 130 zetec or Ghia?A bit confused when I start to think about it!All hep welcomed. Cheers Andy :huh:

Hi lee

Good god thats a fast diesel car. Its all over now bar the dealing!Its a 2. 2 155. Letting him have a think about it at the moment. Its up for 13600. I want it for a bit less. Offered me a fair px price. Do you think I have a chance or should I go for a 130 zetec or Ghia?A bit confused when I start to think about it!All hep welcomed. Cheers Andy :huh:

Hi Andy,

The 2. 2 TDCiputs out nearly 300lbft of torque which just about matches a 4. 2V8 Jag. :)

There werent many about when I bought mine but I've driven a few since.

The plus points are. .....

More power and torque than the 130.

Not much difference in economy.

Cost the same to service.

The minus points are. ....

Cost around £750-£1000 more to buy than the 130.

Sit three to four groups higher insurance than the 130.

Slightly less refined.

Would I have one over the 130? Yes!

If that's a 55 plate TitaniumX you are looking at that's a good price, if it's the Titanium I think you have scope to knock him down a bit depending on how good he was with the part-ex.

I personally wouldn't have an ST TDCi or the TitaniumX as the 18" alloys make the ride too firm for my wife.

If I could any model I would have a 2. 2TDCi GhiaX with the diesel heater.

It seems to me that you like your toys so I wouldn't go down to a Zetec but stay at Ghia and above. :)

Cheers

Lee

Cheers

Lee

Mazda6 TDi 143, 266lbs ft B)

Hi Andy,

The 2. 2 TDCiputs out nearly 300lbft of torque which just about matches a 4. 2V8 Jag. :)

There werent many about when I bought mine but I've driven a few since.

The plus points are. .....

More power and torque than the 130.

Not much difference in economy.

Cost the same to service.

The minus points are. ....

Cost around £750-£1000 more to buy than the 130.

Sit three to four groups higher insurance than the 130.

Slightly less refined.

Would I have one over the 130? Yes!

If that's a 55 plate TitaniumX you are looking at that's a good price, if it's the Titanium I think you have scope to knock him down a bit depending on how good he was with the part-ex.

I personally wouldn't have an ST TDCi or the TitaniumX as the 18" alloys make the ride too firm for my wife.

If I could any model I would have a 2. 2TDCi GhiaX with the diesel heater.

It seems to me that you like your toys so I wouldn't go down to a Zetec but stay at Ghia and above. :)

Cheers

Lee

Thanks again Lee

Going back Friday to have another chat etc. Think it could work out but I like to do as well as I can. You have to be happy dont you?I will let you know. They have great leather trim dont they?

Mazda6 TDi 143, 266lbs ft B)

Forgot about the Mondeo clone which is the Mazda 6. Uses the same transient overboost sytem as the Fords.

The performance on the 6 seems a bit lacking for the power though, only 0. 3 of a second quicker than the 130 Mondeo to 62 and 3mph slower than the Mondeo's top speed.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Forgot about the Mondeo clone which is the Mazda 6. Uses the same transient overboost sytem as the Fords.

The performance on the 6 seems a bit lacking for the power though, only 0. 3 of a second quicker than the 130 Mondeo to 62 and 3mph slower than the Mondeo's top speed.

Cheers

Lee

Are you on Ford sales`Lee?? Just joking and what are you doing up at 5. 15???????????

Are you on Ford sales`Lee?? Just joking and what are you doing up at 5. 15???????????

Get up at 5. 00am for work, usually check e-mails etc while waiting for my toast. :)

Off to Hartsholme Park in Lincoln this afternoon for the weekend, looks like it should be a good weekend weather wise. B)

Fitted roof bars and cycle carriers last night, the wind noise isn't good at 70mph coming to work. :(

Oh by the way, not involved in car sales at all but I do get hire cars all the time so I get to drive most mainstream cars. I'm also involved in Motorsport and also do trackdays with a couple of car clubs so cars are a big interest for me. I'm an engineer by trade and in the past I've been involved with car electrics and electronic systems.

Cheers

Lee

Cheers

Lee

POI The 6 and Mundano share no common parts

and the Passat by a minute margin out performs both, but that is not the issue, I know which I consider the better car, Most motoring journalists consider the Passat to be up with BMW & Mercs, and the Mazda an all round better car than the Ford

BUT its a personal choice, ya pays ya money . ...............................and I chose and am MORE than satisfied

and the Passat by a minute margin out performs both, but that is not the issue, I know which I consider the better car, Most motoring journalists consider the Passat to be up with BMW & Mercs,

Sparkey,

I'm glad you like your new Passat but it's a world away from the old shape PD130 model we have been discussing in this thread. The new Passat drives well, handles well, responds well, the old Passat did none of those very well.

The old Passat's fit and finish wasn't that far above the post 2003 Mondeo's either, certainly not upto exec levels and it's soft rear end caused problems when towing as owners have mentioned in previous posts.

Performance wise the new Passat 140 and the Mondeo 130 have the same 0-62 times and the Passat has a 1mph higher top speed. The Mondeo is slightly more economical.

The Mazda is quicker than the Mondeo and Passat to 62 but only by 0. 3 of a second and has a slower top speed.

But as you say, not a lot in it.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Going to close the deal on the 2. 2 Titanium now! Well I hope I am but these dealers are a nightmare sometimes. Its got down to tax,mats and a tank of diesel. I will let you know.