Sign in to follow this  
Burgo

Caravan Rear View Camera While Towing

Hi, i am looking to install the above on my van, not as a reversing aid, but as a rear view camera while towing.

I know everybody has their own opinion on this subject, my i have decided i want to know whats behind me on the motorway and when its safe to pull in after passing the lovely lorries !.

I've been checking and so far have been advised to come up with the following.

White Camera (blends in with van)

minimum of 10 leds per side of camera for night vision

must have audio - this wont help me while towing, it would make sense if used as reversing aid, but thats why the OH comes with me :) (sorry dear)

92degree angle, anything too wide and traffic behind becomes something like out of the borrowers.

4 pin cable (audio, video, earth & power) they call this easy fit and its very strong compared to phono leads

monitor with glare protector

I have come up with the following http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/351058992268?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984. m1423. l2649

it meets most of the list apart from viewing angle but heyho !

I have read that the number plate cameras are basically too low for rear view cams and also because they are low, they are prone to road film and water on the odd day that it does rain in this country.

I have also read, that the rear view mirror clip on is not necessarily the best option as you loose all function of the rear mirror (why you need if towing i ask) - i'm in 2 minds with this, at least having over mirror keeps my dashboard free.

The cable seems a good idea, screw connectors and waterproof, but then as i intend fitting to top of my van and having to run cable somewhere down on outside, it would be good to have a white cable so less revealing. I have a rear washroom and shower with no window and the van is only 12 months old so i haven't got courage to get the drill out !!

So i ask you, hit me with your thoughts (just not too hard) !!!!!!!!!

Looks good. You'd need 2 x cables, and I'd go for the rear view mirror clip unless you really like looking at the front of your van 1 metre from your back window.

Personally, I'd run the cable under the van and have the connection between the two cables at the hitch, so that I could leave the van's cable permanently installed.

How are you going to get the cable into the car?

Where the cable runs down the back of the van you could use self-adhesive white trunking. If you run that along a seam it will almost disappear.

Tony

Would it be legal? as a reversing camera it would only operate for and during reversing.

I like the the idea myself

I have fitted something very similar. I got mine from this site htttp://shop. reversingcamerasuk. com

I fitted the camera to the rear of the van, under the number plate, using some angle brackets purchased from B&Q, to create a small platform, screwing into the underside of the van to avoid screwing into the rear wall.

I trailed the cable to the front of the van along the chassis securing with cable ties. I have used a wireless bridge from the same company to get over how to connect car to caravan. This I located under the front seat close to the battery box from where I took the power. I find the system works really well and is great for keeping an eye on what is behind me.

Would it be legal?

Good question, but I can't really see why not.

I have fitted something very similar. I got mine from this site htttp://shop. reversingcamerasuk. com

Too many ttt's. http://shop. reversingcamerasuk. com/

Edit to add. .. the UK place is twice the price of the Aussie store. Dunno about postage though.

Edited by TonyJover

if you don't want to get the drill out how are you going to fix the camera to the Van? you could always route the cable down the offside awning channel. However the best setup i have seen is where a guy took all the cables under the van and made a tubular bracket that bolted to the alko chassis and the camera fastened in to the tube on an 3 foot arm which gave a great view of behind with no worry of affecting the water ingress or any other warranty. when he arrived at site he simply unplugged the cable took the camera and bracket out of the bottom bracket and put it away out of sight . (the bracket was similar to a bike rack bracket that you slide the tube into ) hope this makes sense .

regards

Doug

Would it be legal? as a reversing camera it would only operate for and during reversing.

I like the the idea myself

Dash Cams work continuously and they are sometimes fitted to the rear window of a cars.

So unless they are positioned so they are a "drivers" distraction, can not see why they would be illegal, no doubt someone will be here soon to provide facts. Might be different if used overseas.

gumdrop - this is for a rear view camera so just replaces the rear view mirror but a few metres back !, you just provide the camera a permanent live to run constantly. If you wanted it as a reversing aid then you just take a feed from reverse switch/lights as you said.

simon100 - i have seen that site (UK) and they seem to sell exactly the same equipment but on the one i looked at it was nearly double the price. The australian one i found came to just under £80 but of course, what happens if it goes wrong in first year !, will probably cost me a lot more in money and time to send back etc. Will take a look into wireless bridge.

I have seen this idea for a roof mount

suction%20mount_opt.jpg

From practical caravan - they used a mobile phone holder - but would the suction last ?, i would hate to find out that the suction gave way and caused damage.

another option is a piece of upvc as per this photo which has been stuck to van (but can be removed without damage).

null_zps5c57a938.jpg

I have just decided to steer clear of wireless - too many bad reviews

I have just decided to steer clear of wireless - too many bad reviews

The system simon100 recommended and also one I looked at on http://trailervision. co. uk/index. php?main_page=page&id=4 claim that their "digital wireless" is free from interference and does not get affected by phones, Bluetooth etc - some interesting options for mounting there, I was worried about the drilling into the abs panels as well.

I don't get it: decent towing mirrors will do that.

Thats your opinion.

But another angle on it is, when not towing, do you use your side mirrors to see whats directly behind you especially when slowing down etc

I use the rear view mirror, but when towing i have a caravan in tbe way.

Side mirrors only show so much.

• Like 1

I agree that the UK system is much more expensive, but I was prepared to pay that for a trouble free purchase and return if there was a problem.

The digital system is definitely interference free. I was also worried about the interference from bluetooth etc when using the cheap ones but have found the digital one to be great. I have the transmitter in the front of the van and the receiver under the front seat of my car. There is no interference at all and a really strong signal.

My other option to connect between car and caravan was to use a 'suzi' link. http://shop. reversingcamerasuk. com/epages/es106294. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106294_shop/Products/CAB011S

I was confident in the connection at the van end but could not find anywhere to take the cable out of the car at the rear of my CX5,

Two views of how I have set up my camera having finally worked out how to upload the photos!

post-46276-0-49409800-1399533450_thumb.jpg

post-46276-0-69594800-1399533501_thumb.jpg

As an aside, the current Maplin ad shows a reversing camera.

http://www. maplin. co. uk/p/maplin-wireless-reversing-camera-kit-for-cars-a11lb

Really bad reviews of the wireless link and to a lesser degree the item itself.

The LEDs surely would be illegal - you cannot show white light to the rear of vehicle unless it is reversing.

The LEDs surely would be illegal - you cannot show white light to the rear of vehicle unless it is reversing.

That was the only bit I didn't get either. Surely you won't be shining white LED rearwards dazzling drivers behind you or is that switchable and used for reversing?

I can see the benefits whilst reversing of course but don;t personally see requirement whilst driving? AS above decent mirrors give the field of vision you require for overtaking and pulling back in and i have no requirement to know if someone is tailgating me as there won't be anything I can do about it in reality, and my own driving ability should mean i am not required to stand on anchors in 99% of cases anyway. The other 1% a camera will makes zero difference apart from maybe proving someone was too close.

Saying all that i probably don't NEED a decent coffee maker in my caravan but i have one so good luck to you!

They don't show a white light. They're infrared.

It is perfectly legal to have a rear view camera as a mirror replacement as long as the screen does not obscure the front view of the road. That is MOT allowable too in vans etc. that have no rear window.

this is mine I have just fitted although not tested on the road yet

number plate camera had to cut a small amount of plastic away so the camera would raise a little bit more, a hole drilled in the back to feed the cables and under the van.

DSC_0087.jpg

connected to a phono socket on spare pin12 and fed into the car to a twin screen 4. 3" clip on mirror which one side is reverse camera for the car.

DSC_0035-1.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0091-1.jpg

I've had my rear view camera on my caravan for two years – ever since I pulled into a small two pump supermarket filling station in France. As I stopped at the pump, I saw that not only was the exit barrier down but the cash kiosk was closed for lunch. I checked both rear view mirrors and slowly reversed. Even before I'd travelled half a yard, I felt the bump. I got out to investigate and saw the little Aixum that had pulled in behind me. Fortunately no damage was done other than my cracked rear light assembly. On my return home I fitted the reverse camera.

It cost me less than £30 from Ebay and the camera is fitted under the floor close to the number plate. The wiring is permanently fixed along the chassis, taking the camera power supply from the onboard battery. The 7” LCD monitor I fix temporarily near the dashboard only when I'm towing and it takes its power from one of the front 12volt power sockets. The wire to the back of the car stays and only needs connecting when I'm towing.

As you can see from my wet day view of the Santander boarding lanes, the picture quality and the view point isn't brilliant, but it does show me what's behind the van.

post-261-0-59965400-1401266365_thumb.jpg

I've had my rear view camera on my caravan for two years – ever since I pulled into a small two pump supermarket filling station in France. As I stopped at the pump, I saw that not only was the exit barrier down but the cash kiosk was closed for lunch. I checked both rear view mirrors and slowly reversed. Even before I'd travelled half a yard, I felt the bump. I got out to investigate and saw the little Aixum that had pulled in behind me. Fortunately no damage was done other than my cracked rear light assembly. On my return home I fitted the reverse camera.

It cost me less than £30 from Ebay and the camera is fitted under the floor close to the number plate. The wiring is permanently fixed along the chassis, taking the camera power supply from the onboard battery. The 7” LCD monitor I fix temporarily near the dashboard only when I'm towing and it takes its power from one of the front 12volt power sockets. The wire to the back of the car stays and only needs connecting when I'm towing.

As you can see from my wet day view of the Santander boarding lanes, the picture quality and the view point isn't brilliant, but it does show me what's behind the van.

How does the camera connect to the battery? When you say 12 volt power socket is this the cigarette lighter or something else. Sorry to sound dopey but i have no knowledge of car wiring. What seller on Ebay was it ?

Thank you.

Sorry for delay in answering. I've been away. The camera connects to the caravan battery and the viewing screen is driven from the car's 12volt cigar lighter socket. This is the ebay link;http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/18-IR-Reversing-Camera-7-LCD-Monitor-Car-Rear-View-Kit-For-Bus-Long-Truck-UK-/150782620784?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item231b583470

Sorry for delay in answering. I've been away. The camera connects to the caravan battery and the viewing screen is driven from the car's 12volt cigar lighter socket. This is the ebay link;http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/18-IR-Reversing-Camera-7-LCD-Monitor-Car-Rear-View-Kit-For-Bus-Long-Truck-UK-/150782620784?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item231b583470

The wireless ones look like a good option at less than £50 as well - IF they work OK!

- IF they work OK!

If I remember rightly, an earlier topic seemed to indicate that they didn't work too well. But surely even if they are wireless, they still need a power supply at both ends?

But surely even if they are wireless, they still need a power supply at both ends?

I thought post #22 said that??