Strengthening The Roof

Guest iank

Guest iank

In either the last issue or the previous issue of the PC Magazine they mentioned some lightweight sheeting that could be placed on the roof to strengthen it. Does any one have information on this article as I don't have this copy of the PC magazine. Info would be greatly appreciated as we want to install air con but the Lunar roof cannot hold the weight.

Guest mr_sheens

the only way to strengthen a roof correctly to take the weight of an air con unit is to fit addittional joists in the roof. this is not an easy job and i would reccomend you look at the truma frost air which is a far better unit and fits under the beds. this unit is better because you actually fit vents at floor and head height where you will get the best performance. the dometic one which goes on the roof only blows down directly below it.

http://www. trumauk. com/

Frostair 2300/1700

Air Conditioning systems for your caravan, mobile home or motorhome

High cooling capacity

Low noise level

Low current consumption

Convenient infra-red remote control

Automatic electronic temperature regulation

Low centre of gravity thanks to installation in low storage compartment

Flexible air feed

Room air filter

It's holiday time, beautiful weather, brilliant sunshine - it's great to be in the open air. But inside it's another story, with humidity, sticky heat, and the sun beating down on the roof of your caravan. Now there's the perfect solution - Frostair. This air conditioning system, developed especially for caravans, mobile homes and motorhomes not only keeps the air cool, it cleans and dries it too, getting rid of that close, humid feeling. And that means more relaxed sleep for you, getting you really ready to enjoy your holiday during the daytime. The room temperature can be set to ten degrees cooler than outside, which is more than enough to create a really pleasant atmosphere.

Convenient to use - easy to install, too

The temperature can be controlled by means of an infra-red remote control, with easy at-a-glance operation, and the selected temperature is then maintained fully automatically. The special feature of this system is that it is designed to be installed in one of the lower compartments, which displaces the centre of gravity downwards and does not impose a load on the roof.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION FROSTAIR 2300 FROSTAIR 1700

Compressor cooling capacity (kW) 2. 3 1. 7

Current consumption (A) 4. 1 2. 8

Weight (kg) 28. 3 26. 3

Voltage (V) 230 230

Dimensions (L x B x H mm) 710 x 410 x 285 555 x 410 x 285

Hi Shane, not sure on your comment. Which one works the best is correct. Being air condition trained myself, just think of the principals of hot and cold air. Just as a starter without getting too technical. ie hot air rising, cold sinking. With air con you need to force feed it with hot air from you environment and that replaces it with cool air. Nevertheless, if you can only fit the seat mounted unit then that is obviously the best for this situation.

Regards

Pete

Volvo

I agree with Pete's comments about having to cold air outlets at a high level. If you look at the Frostair brochure it does show ducting running up through a wardrobe and then along the top cupboards, but then of course you need to have the wadrobe located in a convenient place so it may not be suitable for some layouts.

With the weather we have at the moment, who needs aircon?

Brian

Guest iank

I had a look at a Truma that had been installed in a Lunar CS and was quite frankly disappointed. On a warm day although it has been running for over an hour there was hardly any difference. Secondly it is a cold air only unit, thirdly it sells at normal British rip off prices of £1400 excl installation and fourthly it is the noisest air con I have ever heard!

I looked at the Dometic and also the Telair and their units fitted cost approximately £1400 but have the added advantage of having heat distribution in the winter. The Truma unit is grossly overpriced.

I would still prefer the overhead unit even it is a split unit as the roof unit only weighs 9 kg and the main compressor is under one of the bunks. hence the reason for asking if any one has the Praticla Caravan magazine with the article in it.

Guest mr_sheens

we have fitted about 10 of the truma units now, and even have one fitted in our reception area to show how it works. the ones we have fitted have been on the instruction that the customer is using it a lot in spain etc. and we have had no complaints. we have fitted them to several different layouts and although some are easier than others, we have still managed it. obviously i can only comment on the truma because this is the only one we fit and it does work very well.

I was going to give my air con a service, don't think i will bother yet. LOL

Good to know the Truma ones are working well Shane, certainly a good idea to keep all the weight down low. No mountain climbing when you have to work on them.

Pete.

Volvo

Archived