Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Lock N Level Vs Milenco Leveller

We have a twin axle caravan and are considering purchasing a leveller as age is catching up on us and the hassle of levelling a caravan and lining up the ALKO locks using the vehicle. We have a Mikita 18v drill with Lion battery.

There is a difference in price of about £50 between the Milenco and the Lock n level, however which is the easiest to use? However I have arthritis in my hands, wrists and forearms so not sure about my ability to hold the drill firmly when winding up the Milenco so that it does not kick off when you reach the maximum on the Milenco leveller.

We tend to use a lot of CLs so can any one advise if the Lock n level will raise the caravan enough to level it especially if you are on a pitch sloping in all directions? How high will the Lock n level lift the caravan as sometimes we need to use two of the yellow levellers on top of one another to get the caravan level as it adds about another inch?

I have never been able to wind up the Milenco with my 18v Li drill. Just too much torque required.

I use a ratchet with an extension bar.

Hi Delta, got the message!

The LnL I reckon has about 6" lift, we are always on CLs as well and although I have milenco quattro ramps there is not enough grip in the winter to get up them!

The site we are on at the minute has a bit of a run on it - I've attached photos so hopefully you'll be able to see the sort of slope it can cope with.

I was invalided out of the RN and have joint issues and I'd agree with you that this would be an easier option. I've heard that the milenco windy uppy thing is not great on soft ground but that's just what I've heard on here - nothing to stop you putting something under I would have thought?

Our LnL is sat on a scaffold plank which I always run onto as our van is quite heavy 1800kg and tends to compress CLs to the point where I've struggled to get the KoJack under to remove the altos.

Basically, now the routine goes, reverse expertly into chosen position, place planks, run up on planks, jack up and fit locks, slip LnL under at the same time if it's the nearside that needs levelling, if not I just jack the offside and slip the bag under. I've taken this approach as I think the designers idea was to just drive on them and pump them up but because I use the scaffold planks all the time, the lifting bag would be compressed over the edge of the plank as 1800kg rides over it - not a good idea I thought. So that's my method anyway, I guess if we get some sort of Saharan summer I might dispense with my planks but for the time being I'll keep on dreaming!

If you think of anything else I've followed and I'm online most days

And before anyone asks - yes the corsa does struggle up hills with the senator on the back!

post-55551-0-38950900-1398696693_thumb.jpg

post-55551-0-93266300-1398696720_thumb.jpg

post-55551-0-84644500-1398696748_thumb.jpg

Edited by sleepyfolk

Thanks. The MTPLM on ours is also 1800kgs and we also use CLs a lot. I was waiting for your reply and have now clicked the "Buy it" button. I think we will go with the rubber mat underneath the leveller as we have some old ones hanging around. :D

Thanks. The MTPLM on ours is also 1800kgs and we also use CLs a lot. I was waiting for your reply and have now clicked the "Buy it" button. I think we will go with the rubber mat underneath the leveller as we have some old ones hanging around. :D

I bought it after a recommend from a lady on here, have to say I've been very happy with it, I'm sure when the ground is firm a mat and drive straight on will be fine, here's hoping the sun stays out

Glad you are enjoying the Lock'n'Level. We certainly found it a lot easier than trying to get 1900kg up on ramps especially when it was dark and raining!

The only problem that we now have is that we have changed the van for a single axle and so Derek is altering our twin axle bags to make them into a single axle version.

Looking forward to using it on our next trip.

Sleepyfolk seems to have come up with a solution for fitting Al-Ko locks and raising the opposite side of the caravan to level however it does require the use of a jack which seems to reduce the benefit of an L'n'L.

If you don't want to, or can't, use a jack you will have a problem of levelling the offside of the caravan and fitting two Al-Ko wheel locks on the nearside.

Used the Lock n' Level for the first time recently and it worked rather well.

There were a couple of points worth mentioning though.

1. We pitched on some pea gravel hard standing ( not sharp at all ) and after a week the underside of the level had many nicks in it,so in future I will always use a mat of some sort except perhaps on grass.

2. The instructions say do not inflate above 30psi and not knowing what 30psi looked like I checked with a tyre pressure gauge. Some method of knowing what pressure it was at would be handy.

Apart from the above,no problem and much lighter than ramps.

Ian

Glad you are enjoying the Lock'n'Level.

Ah Rita it was, sorry Rita I couldn't remember who started the original thread!

Just another note deltatiowner, as tandem man has mentioned above there is no built in pressure gauge, and on another thread someone moaned about the fact they might have to move their car around to plug in a 12v air compressor which they thought was a potential hassle;

I've just modified my 12v supply to put a cigarette style 2 socket splitter under my tv cupboard which is in the middle of the van opposite the front door and next to the front offside side window. I now am able to plug in my 12v air compressor (7. 5a max draw) which has a 3m lead under the tv and the lead is long enough to reach either sides pair of wheels - useful for topping up the tyres and filling the LnL.

I also bought a new Michelin air compressor from halfords for £39. 99 which has a digital pressure gauge on it (accurate to +/- 1psi) to replace the less accurate compressor I had.

The twin 12v cigarette socket now powers the tv, has a spare socket for the compressor, has a 2a USB charging connection, and a pull out micro USB connection that powers my mifi broadband.

Derek phoned me last night and mentioned someone had raised a question about sharp stones stuck in your tyres which may damage the cushion so maybe a mat on top may be an idea.

We have an old Draper air compressor which is very noisy and not very accurate so maybe a new compressor is worth think about, but not sure which is the most efficient, quietest and also a quality product.

We have a cigarette socket right by the door so no issue with plugging it in. Looking forward to trying it out for the first time.

Ah yes I did hear about the stone in tyres, not a bad idea if on stony ground using a mat.

I bought the compressor from halfords just because they tend to swap anything without too much hassle if it does break, although you'd think that of all people Michelin would mange to stick their name on a half decent one, time will tell!

I know the 12v air compressor is the preferred choice but how much effort do people think it would take with a foot pump. It's just that I have a double action one that stays in the car and it has an accurate built in gauge which is a failing of most 12v pumps in my view (also I don't think the socket near the telly would cope with the ampage of a 12v air pump.

Mike

Although we have an old Draper compressor, the gauge is wildly inaccurate so have purchase a Ring RAC600 to replace it. This replacement has been on the cards for awhile as the Draper struggles to pump up the tyres on our 4 x 4.

I bought the single and double for our twin axle just in case I needed to level on the offside or needed to jack to change a wheel (Alko chassis with a mover fitted). On one site visited on our 4 week tour I had to do just that.

Fantastic piece of kit. We achieved almost 100mm lift on the nearside with the twin as the pitch fell away sharply in two planes. The front offside leg was barely off its stop and the nearside rear was on 3 and offside rear on 2 concrete blocks (kindly supplied by the site owner)

I was a bit nervous about it being up so high on one side using these but had no issues at all-should have taken some photos, as to me being new to caravanning it seemed a bit extreme to have 75mm at the front nearside, 100 mm at 27 psi in the LnL at the axles and the nearside rear leg two turns off fully extended sitting on 3 concrete blocks. I went and asked the guy pitched next to me what he thought and he said 'Yes that's fine mate. . nothing to worry about' . ...took me a while to get to sleep the first night though!

I used a Halfords compressor plugged into the campinggaz cool box PSU and the stirrup pump for the bikes to fine tune.

I did have a bit of a quandary regarding the best place to put the spirit level as placing it on the work-surface by the sink and the one opposite gave different levels as did putting it on the floor above the axles. Is there a default 'best place' to put it for levelling?

Edited by Lee21

We still use our LnL as it is a great piece of kit and saves so much bother trying to get the van level. We sit our spirit level on the floor just inside the door, always seems to work for us.

Is there a default 'best place' to put it for levelling?

Run some water into the sinks and shower tray. When it runs out of all of them down the drain hole correctly you have the best 'level' for your van. Now see which surface works best for your spirit level.

Tony

Edited by TonyJover

Run some water into the sinks and shower tray. When it runs out of all of them down the drain hole correctly you have the best 'level' for your van. Now see which surface works best for your spirit level.

Tony

Tony, done that with some vans but many 'designers' forget to put the plug-holes in the same plane - sink offside and shower near side - barmy!

Thanks I'll give that a go next time.

I re-checked having thought I had levelled properly when the shower would not drain correctly. I placed the spirit level on numerous surfaces all of which were different

Tony, done that with some vans but many 'designers' forget to put the plug-holes in the same plane - sink offside and shower near side - barmy!

So level the van such that it doesn't quite drain any of them. :lol: Edited by TonyJover

I did have a bit of a quandary regarding the best place to put the spirit level as placing it on the work-surface by the sink and the one opposite gave different levels as did putting it on the floor above the axles. Is there a default 'best place' to put it for levelling?

Unless your van is badly twisted, then a very convenient place to check for the across axle level is to use the vertical vial of a spirit level on the caravans side wall.

Stood outside by your pad/compressor at the van side, that should be particularly convenient in your case.

For front to back I just use the skirt awning rail as a horizontal reference.

We eventually bought the Lock 'n Level. Fantastic piece of kit and would recommend it to any one.

• Like 1

Hi

if you reverse onto the LNL fit the rear AL-KO wheel lock lock will it lift high enough to fit the front AL-KO wheel lock the level after you have both locks on

Hi

if you reverse onto the LNL fit the rear AL-KO wheel lock lock will it lift high enough to fit the front AL-KO wheel lock the level after you have both locks on

Yep no problem. You can even change the wheel if you wanted to.

The reason I opted for this was just that as I had to remove my jacking brackets to fit the mover and I do not have to carry a trolley jack around.

The other thing I like about it is that it negated the degree of guess work involved if you were to use a jack and planks or similar as the levelling is done with the wheels loaded and as such can be done very precisely with no trial and error.

I had to level the caravan on the offside at he last site we visited on our summer tour and used the single to fit the locks on the nearside and then levelled with the double. You have to be pretty precise as to where you place the single when revering onto the double to get you receiver to line up and be in the centre of the of each air cell on both sides but with a mover and bit of good communication.

I took a couple of bits of carpet offcuts to protect the underside on the gravel but this was not perhaps the best idea as the carpet went mouldy. I have some old switchboard rubber matting kicking around the garage, so a couple of bits of that will be cut to suit

Edited by Lee21

The reason I opted for this was just that as I had to remove my jacking brackets to fit the mover and I do not have to carry a trolley jack around.

The other thing I like about it is that it negated the degree of guess work involved if you were to use a jack and planks or similar as the levelling is done with the wheels loaded and as such can be done very precisely with no trial and error.

I had to level the caravan on the offside at he last site we visited on our summer tour and used the single to fit the locks on the nearside and then levelled with the double. You have to be pretty precise as to where you place the single when revering onto the double to get you receiver to line up and be in the centre of the of each air cell on both sides but with a mover and bit of good communication.

I took a couple of bits of carpet offcuts to protect the underside on the gravel but this was not perhaps the best idea as the carpet went mouldy. I have some old switchboard rubber matting kicking around the garage, so a couple of bits of that will be cut to suit

We bought some yellow plastic traction mats off eBay for about £8 delivered and place these under the Lock 'n Level when on gravel. Having said that unless there are very sharp stones, highly unlikely the bags will be pierced however the plastic strips keep the bags clean and free of mud and grass.