Sign in to follow this  
TbirdX

Truma Reg Failure?

Yes, that old chestnut again.

Out at the weekend, brand new 6kg lite, was fine for the first 2 days and then the gas pressure at the hob dropped off to the point of unuseable.

Water and fridge stayed on ok, but as they were at operating temps, maybe they didn't need much to keep them there.

When packing up, we turned the water and fridge off and tried the hob again, no change. However, after being home for a few hours and justr prior to posting this I tested the hob again. Same bottle, etc, and now the flames are back to normal.

Having a read about it seems 'likely' that we have the old truma reg failure problem. Anyone had the same or similar symptoms?

Wheres the best place to get a replacement?

Cheers all.

Mine also failed while we were away over the Easter weekend, the first thing we noticed was the grill would not make the morning toast :( :( thankfully I carry a spare and 20 minutes later it was all sorted .

I bought my replacement of that well known auction site for around £50 about a year ago

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

Get a Gaslow one with 5 year guarantee. Truma are a disgrace

When you remove it check for oil residue.

A tip with gas is to wait 10 minutes on arrival on a site before turning on the gas. This allows any oil in the cylinder to settle.

Make sure the regulator is higher than the top of the gas cylinder outlet.

The regulator will be available at any caravan dealers I suspect.

There is a Gas changeover and combined regulator available.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/62894-combined-gas-regulator-and-changeover-valve/

See post 5

Do check the connection size required though.

Interesting find. I can find one a tenner cheaper too. ..but is it any good? Can't seem to find anyone who has one. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Might well give it a go, we know the truma one has a high probability of failure.

Sounds like a dirty bottle has seen off the regulator as usual, after changing 2 since September I've fitted the filter you can get - time will tell if it was worth it!

post-55551-0-08487300-1398120841_thumb.jpg

Interesting find. I can find one a tenner cheaper too. ..but is it any good? Can't seem to find anyone who has one. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Might well give it a go, we know the truma one has a high probability of failure.

If you a refering to the the Autochange over system as recommended by Lefthand Down then yes I've had one for over a year and it works brilliantly most recently sometime last weekend when one bottle empties it does automatically switch. As long as you have remembered to open the valve on the second bottle.

Well, as an update I ordered the Cavagna reg and another hose, but not before I rechecked the old one.

Much to my chagrin, the old truma reg worked perfectly fine. So much so, that we did 3 nights/4 days on it with no problems at all. However, my faith was shaken and I fitted the new reg anyway. I'll keep the old one as an emergency spare while hoping that I'll never need it.

The new Cavagna worked just fine and the Mrs reckons the hob rings were much better flame wise and, curiously, easier to get lit and keep alight. This was at a DA rally so we were running all gas as well. Result. We also got 24 hours out of a bottle we probably would have exchanged and the system auto switched bottles flawlessly.

So far so good then. :-)

All makes of regulator will suffer from oil from the gas bottle and this year I have changed every type available.

I have now fitted a truma filter to my own caravan regulator and have been very impressed with the amount of oil that it traps and now recommend it to my customers and many have had it fitted and are delighted with how well it works .

I today changed a Truma reg under of the 10yr rule. Is that a first i wonder? Still working fine and dated 03. a good tablesoonful of oil came out the inlet when it was lying upside down in the box though

I have been searching for topics on the forum after having an issue myself over the weekend.

My wife commented that the flame on our grill looked smaller than normal and wasn't giving off as much heat, so after hearing of so many issues with the truma regulator I fitted a new one and this made no difference at all.

I only have my wifes opinion that the flame is smaller on the grill, the hobs all seem to be ok.

Is there anything else we could check?

One of the stop cocks not fully on? Pretty obvious so apologies if you've already checked it.

Tony

Yes valves definitely fully open.

We have a stainless steel pigtail and blow through so all ok there.

As an aside, I also fitted this new reg much higher up than the old one, this makes the hoses a nice 's' shape, I'm giving it every chance against the oil problem.

CBBC, can't help you on that one I'm afraid. The Mrs is convinced that all the gas appliances are now performing better but I can't put my hand on my heart and confirm it.

I also fitted this new reg much higher up than the old one, this makes the hoses a nice 's' shape, I'm giving it every chance against the oil problem.

This makes sense to me! How did you mount it higher? Did you extend the copper pipe - I can't see any other way of doing it?

I always disconnect my pigtails when not being used and let them hang down and allow gravity to let any oil in the pipes run out .

Dave

I had mine pop and leak gas into the locker, it was minus temperatures and happened as I opened the gas bottle so I heard it and was able to turn it off.

I contacted Truma due to the sudden and dangerous failure, they examined it and stated there was some residue but didn't state what exactly caused the failure.

I now use a stainless hose with Truma filter fitted to a Cavagna single regulator. No issues since. I've got a spare Cavagna that lives in the van just incase but hopefully no further issues.

Stainless steel pigtails. Cavagna regulator. Burn gas off when leaving site and disconnect pigtails. Floss every morning.

I think I'm sorted! Thanks everyone!