Sign in to follow this  
maggs

Damp Problems With Swift, Can Anyone Explain Please

Hi,

My neighbour has just told me their friends are having awful problems with damp in their Swift caravan.

Reading little snippets on here I gather there are some problems.

Just rang the dealers where we are buying our Swift Coastline 550, 2011 from.

They said not to worry as only 50 !!!!!!! ( I read many more) challengers were affected.

Should we be worried?

Can anyone please explain what we should be looking out for when we pick our caravan up and also has the problem affected all models?

Thankyou

I wouldn't worry.

If it was my money I would say that a damp test certificate would be a condition of sale but your dealer should be providing a warranty. An extended warranty would also be available at extra cost if you're particularly worried.

I think it's fair to say that of the 15,000 new caravans made every year a percentage may develop damp but as your van is already 3 years old and will have 3 years of servicing and damp certificates you can't do much more. If there had been a manufacturing fault, it may have shown itself and been rectified already. Even new vans by Elddis this year so you'll never have 100% surety but from my experience, the most important part is a good warranty, that way, if something is wrong, it will be put right

Relax and enjoy it

Regards

Simon

Edited by simontodd

Hi,

​If you are really concerned perhaps you should get a independent caravan engineer to test/ inspect ?

I would insist on seeing a current dated damp report before parting with any money or signing a finance agreement.

Also advise to ensure it has a full service history, all services done on time,as this is a condition of Swift warranty for 6 year water ingress.

I had a 2011 Challenger and had to have all the front done after damp found in the 1st year of owning. I had no idea it was damp until my dealer did the annual service and discovered the problem. Swift took my van back to the factory for repair and I then got it back with some other work done a s well. I am afraid that I couldn't trust the van again and sold it in part ex for a new Lunar. It was not just the damp but a few other things about the build which didn't sit right with me. If there has been any damp repair done then I am sure that Swift have a record of it against the chassis no. 'Birdman' is right though if you are going to buy make sure it has been serviced on time in order to keep the warranty intact just in case Damp becomes apparent because it can be a costly job to repair!

Edited by pagan

I have a 2011 Swift Challenger 580,on the second service damp was found on all the floor mouldings along both sides of the van and on both wheel arches. On warranty they were stripped down dried out and re sealed. The firm that found the damp are independent but approved by Swift they told me that it was well known that this area could be affected by damp as poor mastic had been used on original construction. For your info all services are logged on Swift,s own web site so your dealer should be able to get you a print out. I got one and changed my details onto the van. Hope this helps

I wouldn't rely on any third party, but damp test the caravan myself in addition to a dealer damp test and warranty, and before any monies are handed over.

The number as to how many has been a truly controversial one. When discussions on here kicked off in 2012, there was never a number given due to Swift denial to say how many, Now, if it were really 50, or even 500, I would if it where my company have come clean and said how many if the numbers where low. However, the denial to give the numbers on their own forum shows that it is clearly a very high number.

Some people on here and on their own forum banded around figures that where anywhere from 1000 to 5000 caravans affected, well, these vans came to light in 2012, yet, dealers are still saying that customers are struggling to get vans repaired with them or at the factory due to long waiting times even now in 2014 and some people being told they wait time is up to five months out, two full years since it was first noticed. apparently up to 10 vans per week where being repaired just at the factory let alone the dealers, so, do the maths, IMO that we will still be talking about vans being damp for the same issue well into 2014 even 2015, mind you, its all very irrelevant now as they have a new design out and faults on those vans will take priority.

I remember very well that I stated last year that if we were still talking about vans being repaired by Christmas 2013 then the number that are affected must be closer the 5k as was originally mentioned on here back in 2012.

My advice to you is to have a pre purchase check done before you buy, even if your buying from a dealer, well, especially if your buying from a dealer. there are plenty of companies that will do them, if your in the Yorkshire area I can recommend Bridgetown Caravans, they have been used by a few people on here and get good reviews.

sandy

Edited by sandym

Good post Sandy. Spending a few pounds now could save thousands in the future. I have had a few Swifts but the 2011 model is the worst in my oplnlon.

On 16/04/2014 at 20:04, maggs said:

Hi,

My neighbour has just told me their friends are having awful problems with damp in their Swift caravan.

They said not to worry as only 50 !!!!!!! ( I read many more) challengers were affected.

Should we be worried?

Can anyone please explain what we should be looking out for when we pick our caravan up and also has the problem affected all models?

Thankyou

Hi. Interested in your post about Damp problems. We bought a Swift Challenger 620 SE 2014 Model. I was told that it was one of the first caravans where all the timber framework has been changed to plastic. We bought the Caravan from Yorkshire Caravans at Bawtry. It was three years old when we bought it. the Caravan is on a fixed pitch and   into our 2nd season we noticed a crack in the fixed window at the front  of the van, so we got a company to give us a replacement price whilst servicing the van. the service revealed we had a damp problem in the bathroom. on closer inspection revealed a big split in the roof of the back panel. I contacted the dealer who then pointed out that the van was not serviced by the previous owner, so no warranty! When I looked into the problem, Yorkshire Caravans has changed many back panels for the 2014 model and it was hinted that it was the inferior quality of the plastic that was used. I am trying to find out if any one else has had this problem. With the window repair and the back panel we are looking at around £3000.00. I assumed that the caravan is serviced for the first three years and then it was down to the owner. wrong! My argument is, if it is a manufacturing fault, which it sounds like with the amount that the dealer has had to deal with, why should a service affect a manufacturing fault. Why they wasn't recalled and why did Yorkshire Caravans sell me the van when they have had problems with them in the past. This is the first caravan we have bought and I think we have been sold a white elephant. can anyone help?

Edited by William Goddard
Spelling error

On 16/04/2014 at 20:04, maggs said:

Hi,

Should we be worried?

Thankyou

Edited by Ern
Posted in error. Hadn't noticed its 5 years old.

Hi WG. Sadly, like many of us you are learning that the whole caravan manufacturing and dealer supply industry is in the hands of a bunch of cowboys, happy to grab your cash but unwilling to act responsibly. Unfortunately it looks very much like the cowboys have won again. I doubt you'll get much redress without a difficult and costly fight which you probably won't win.

2 minutes ago, Ern said:

I don't think the selling dealer is being fair by saying that only 50 were affected. No one knows how many. Swift hadn't got a clue how many leaking caravans were going to be reported because they were all at risk. We had a 2009 model and it was leak free according to the annual service reports, until the day we took it in as a part exchange and were notified  it was damp. That was in 2016 when the body warranty had just expired. As the caravan we are discussing is a 2011 caravan there will be no Swift body warranty and any annual service records will not be of value unless all 8 of them are available and recording figures showing it to be dry. Are the service records actually available?

I would have an independent damp inspection carried out and also question the dealer about their warranty, as they are very unlikely to offer much warranty. 

By the way, all caravans are at considerable risk of damp because of the design and construction, so whatever you buy get it tested.

I think your last sentence should read:

By the way, all caravans are at considerable risk of damp because of the poor standard of design and unacceptably low standard of construction, so whatever you buy get it tested.

3 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Hi WG. Sadly, like many of us you are learning that the whole caravan manufacturing and dealer supply industry is in the hands of a bunch of cowboys, happy to grab your cash but unwilling to act responsibly. Unfortunately it looks very much like the cowboys have won again. I doubt you'll get much redress without a difficult and costly fight which you probably won't win.

I think your last sentence should read:

By the way, all caravans are at considerable risk of damp because of the poor standard of design and unacceptably low standard of construction, so whatever you buy get it tested.

I just deleted my post after noticing its so old. perhaps you might consider yours too.

1 hour ago, Ern said:

I just deleted my post after noticing its so old. perhaps you might consider yours too.

Whilst the original post is several years old, it has been found and brought back to life just an hour ago, so quite current.

As for the posting by William Goddard I am afraid that you do not have a leg to stand on regarding warranty etc.

The facts are that you bought a 3 year old caravan .

Two seasons into ownership makes it 5 years old and from what you have told us, no servicing had been done by the previous owner, thereby voiding the makers warranty.

Unfortunately when buying a caravan , particularly a second hand van, it is essential to see all service records and damp reports, and if these are not available you should have walked away.

Whilst it may be true that "many back panels had been changed" that does not mean that ALL back panels had to be, and actually it was not "inferior plastic" to blame in most cases, it was the method of fixing that was, and still is, the problem.

You say that you had the van serviced when you found a crack in a window, did you have the van serviced in the previous years?

Edited by Brecon

On 11/09/2019 at 19:50, Ern said:

The original post might be quite old, but sadly things are no better since then and IMO worse. That goes for cowboy dealers and manufacturers that cannot build a caravan that doesn't fall apart after you've used it once.