Sign in to follow this  
Top Brass

Review: Honda Cr-v Se I-dtec

Easy to get in and out, comfortable solo or towing, visibility and rear view camera for hitching on etc.

Excellent load space with rear seats down

Click here to view the towcar review

I have had the EX version since new and fully endorse our review.

I have just come back back from 3 months in Spain with mine driving over 3600 miles and averaged 48. 7mpg.

Cheers Thombo

Hi Thombo

Have you tried the CR-V off road at all? Wonder how it handles solo in snow or towing over wet grass etc?

I've had mine for 4 years now and it has been excellent in snow. on a light throttle the diesel engine justs chugs along in 2WD mode. The 4WD only kicks in under extreme situations.

Haven't had the new model i. e. Series4 out in snow as we were in Spain this year over the winter however the previous series3 model was good in snow so don't think the series 4 should be any worse, as for towing over wet grass I haven't encountered any problems so far.

Thombo

Thanks for info on "off roading !" I did have to drive solo on wet muddy grass recently on a site in Devon, and was pleased with how the car handled, Also pleased it did not chew the grass up as my previous FWD Astra sports tourer did. Like to keep in with the site owners!

Good evening CRV owners,

Are you using the Honda detachable towbar?

And with 13 pin electrics? If so, does it operate the fridge?

Thanks

Steve

My CRV has 13 pin socket which was fitted by Honda and it works the fridge and the ATC

It should do. The detachable towbar doesn't have different electrics.

I've had mine for 4 years now and it has been excellent in snow. on a light throttle the diesel engine justs chugs along in 2WD mode. The 4WD only kicks in under extreme situations.

The MK4 has a slightly different 4 wheel drive system to the earlier models in that it always starts in 4 wheel drive and switches to 2WD when it recognises that 4WD is not required. I believe it works electrically not hydraulically as in earlier models so reacts much more quickly.

Edited by terve

Good evening CRV owners,

Are you using the Honda detachable towbar?

And with 13 pin electrics? If so, does it operate the fridge?

Thanks

Steve

I have the Honda CRV detachable towbar. The basic kit doesn't operate the fridge or charge the battery. It requires some additional leads.

Mine was fitted for the list price but came without fridge or battery charging. The dealer added this at no charge,

The Honda literature is very vague on this.

pooolebob

Had my Towbar and 13 pin socket fitted by local company who also fit for my Honda garage. Excellent guy and nice to deal with. However, there was a problem with the wiring kit as the top offside rear light would not work! The fitter quickly rectified this FOC and it's seems a common problem on this wiring kit, which, although not a Honda supply, was from a reputable company.

I had a fixed ball fitted as the fitter correctly stated it does not interfere with the parking sessors on my mk 4 CR-V and this saved me over £100 compared to the demountable version.

Had my Towbar and 13 pin socket fitted by local company who also fit for my Honda garage. Excellent guy and nice to deal with. However, there was a problem with the wiring kit as the top offside rear light would not work! The fitter quickly rectified this FOC and it's seems a common problem on this wiring kit, which, although not a Honda supply, was from a reputable company. I had a fixed ball fitted as the fitter correctly stated it does not interfere with the parking sessors on my mk 4 CR-V and this saved me over £100 compared to the demountable version.

What sort of MPG are you getting with your Mk4 CRV when towing your caravan ?

I have a new model arriving shortly to replace my 2009 cdti which used to return 23-26 depending on conditions

Thanks all, for the information on tow bars.

Had a good look round a CRV at our local Honda dealer. Very impressed, big difference to the mark 1 CRV we owned back in the past - which was a great family car in its own right, but only petrol engines then.

Just got back from trip to Scotland and mpg varied depending on headwnds. When I started out winds were very strong and only got around 23 mpg which was a shock as previously got 28. 5!

Once wind had dropped I was getting around 29 mpg at 60 mph in 6th gear. This improved to 33 mpg when cruise control was set at 58 and A/C switched off. Theses figures based on motorway driving from Chippenham in Wiltshire to Callander in Stirlingshire both directions. Motorway driving without caravan was showing 58 to 62 @ 60 mph with cruise control.

Caravan is within the 85% weight ratio for crv regarding weight. Car loaded with 2 adults and 2 weeks worth of clothes and food etc. so can't complain.

My CR-V is 2. 2 manual diesel with 12k on the clock and above figures achieved using the "Economy" mode button. Must add that it was very stable when towing even in cross winds thanks to the trailer stability control, and pulled away easily from standing

Bought 2. 2 ltr diesel man 6 weeks ago. Agree with fuel consumption figures. A great tow car with loads of room. Had a detachable towbar fitted; and if left fitted the parking sensors occasionally pick-up the towball. I therefore remove most of the time.

Dear top brass is the boot a good size .

Just drove 457 miles today from Newquay in Cornwall to home without the van and brimming the tank it took £60 which equates to approx 48 mpg at a steady 75mph so pretty good for our 2014 d-tec 2. 2

Dear top brass is the boot a good size .

Yes the boot is a good size

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

Mine will be arriving in about 2 weeks to replace our Audi A4 Advant

Just ordered crv 2. 2I on Saturday. can't wait. Will have to run it in before, I tow

• Like 2

If your having a dealer fit towbar make sure it comes fully wired. Mine didn't

• Thanks 1

Just ordered crv 2. 2I on Saturday. can't wait. Will have to run it in before, I tow

You wont be dissapointed ours towed our Lunar Lexon 1500kg pretty good and returned 28-29mpg towing on recent trip to cornwall.

• Like 1

Hope you choose the Urban Titanium as this is a brilliant colour!

• Like 1

Does anyone have an automatic version to comment on?

Does anyone have an automatic version to comment on?

The new 8 speed automatic CRV comes out in early spring 2015 and a new twin turbo diesel engine .

The current automatic 5 speed is ok but limited to 1500 kg towing

Sign in to follow this