Sign in to follow this  
DREW40

What To Do ?

Hi folks,

My car is needing new tyres, starting to crack on the sidewalls which is a shame because there is loads of tread. Bought the car last year so they have not done a lot of milage just degrading in the sun. So the question is do i go for all terrain tyres (its a 4x4 bm x3 btw) thinking of towing out of fields or do i just go for the regular tyres with extra load. Not a lot of difference in price really just if you were in my shoes. .

Thanks

I have a xc70, and I run Pirelli scorpion STR, good around performance on-road, and good grip in a wet field. All in all I feel its a good all round tyre. Hope this helps :-)

Pirelli ATR are the tyre of choice for a lot of Disco owners who only do a little bit of off-roading. However Pirelli have decided not to sell them in the UK anymore for 19" rims - ***** knows why.

I'd recommend general grabber at

GoodYear Wrangler for Dad's Yeti in the winter months :)

I have always used Pirelli Scorpion tyres and never had any issues. I have driven (and towed) in more varied conditions than (probably) most who drive in UK and continental Europe.

Had Goodyear M+S on the jeep.

Hi,

Just shopped around for 4 new tyres for our "softroader" got 4 Goodyear 4 season tyres . Tyres supplied by "tyres on the drive" at £151 cheaper than kwick fit. They come to you --- no waiting in a grubby office/ waiting room .

david

I'd recommend general grabber at

Second that!

Second that!

Id third it, they are very good tyres, but if you really want the best it can only be BFG ATs. All the grip you need in any conditions and will outlast the car.

I'd just accept that you have a slightly tall sports car that happens to have 4wd and fit apprpriate tyres (i. e. good road tyres that mean you get the best drive 99% if the time). The 4wd will get you out of any site that the owners let you use in such wet conditions and if you were really into off roading you wouldn't have an X3. This isn't a criticism of the X3 by the way, I think it's probably a very good comprise for a caravanner who enjoys a good drive but wants the weight and 4wd.

Thanks everybody lots of info especially AlphaEuropa never had to buy tyres for a 4x4 with towing a caravan in mind before. .And i think in reality the majority of pitches we would visit would be on hard standing. But the weather being as unpredictable as it is wanted to try to cater for all possibilitys. .

Hi folks,

My car is needing new tyres, starting to crack on the sidewalls which is a shame because there is loads of tread. Bought the car last year so they have not done a lot of milage just degrading in the sun. So the question is do i go for all terrain tyres (its a 4x4 bm x3 btw) thinking of towing out of fields or do i just go for the regular tyres with extra load. Not a lot of difference in price really just if you were in my shoes. .

Thanks

Are the current tyres run flats? if so your choice will be limited