Sign in to follow this  
SteveE53

Red Pennant

Hi, does anyone know of a decent alternative recovery service for Spain and France to Red Pennant please? Our van is 7. 4 m long so upgrading our mayday to euro cover isn't possible.

we use red pennant for our twin axle . . no problem

When trying to research suitable companies, be aware that when most of them quote 7m as a maximum, they mean the body length, excluding the "A" frame. We had this problem with the cover provided through our bank and it took a few calls to get it clarified.

We do, however, take out Red Pennant for the longer continental trips!

As said i think it is quoting the 7m body length . But looking at Euro cover recovery can be head banging on the wall time as you really need to read what the cover is and if the caravan is covered and how .

I was only looking for someone on another forum who was saying he had cover that also would cover the caravan for recovery to find in the small print basically said " The trailer will be loaded on another trailer and and any cost will be met by you " . So it did not look like the actual caravan recovery was covered .

Dave

ADAC every time, best value, best coverage recovery in Europe.

Phil.

ADAC every time, best value, best coverage recovery in Europe.

Phil.

Stopped to UK customers?

Hi, does anyone know of a decent alternative recovery service for Spain and France to Red Pennant please? Our van is 7. 4 m long so upgrading our mayday to euro cover isn't possible.

We Red Pennant every year and our van is similar length to yours

Our van is 7. 4 m long so upgrading our mayday to euro cover isn't possible.

You can upgrade Green Flag cover if you bought it direct from that company, but Caravan Club won't let you upgrade their MayDay (even though provided by Green Flag) They want to sell their Red Pennant policies.

Red pennant is bullet proof, don't skimp

Stopped to UK customers?

No plenty of UK residents have joined recently no restrictions on length or vehicle UK coverage as well so you can ditch Mayday too.

Phil.

Interesting posts, thanks folks. Never heard of ADAC but if the cover compares it seems worth a look, in fairness it doesn't look very expensive when compared to the £130 or £190 I've been quoted by Red Pennant for 31 days cover for our trip. You can upgrade to Green Flag Euro if you tell them you're looking at the prices on their website and not trying to add-on to Mayday but I was told I can't do it with my Lexon 540 because it's over their 7 metres limit. That does include the A frame though, so I might call them again. Any more advice would be great please.

No plenty of UK residents have joined recently no restrictions on length or vehicle UK coverage as well so you can ditch Mayday too.

Phil.

There are posts on other forums of people being refused as ADAC has fallen out with the AA over costs so they have no recovery here.

Dave

Nope no problem with uk residents joining, my mate joined yesterday.

Phil.

Red pennant is bullet proof, don't skimp

+1

If its recovery you are talking about, and not full medical cover, then ADAC is also bulletproof and has a much better coverage than RP can ever offer.

Phil.

HERE we go again. ...want

t fast recoverg only at point of distress then possi ly the Germans are your best option. ..if you want door to door cover including cancellations and full repatriation then RP is best.

Geoff

Nope no problem with uk residents joining, my mate joined yesterday.

Phil.

But I have read ADAC will only pay 200 euros for a break down to a subcontractor and you have to meet the rest if it cost more .

As I say its a headache .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

But I have read ADAC will only pay 200 euros for a break down to a subcontractor and you have to meet the rest if it cost more .

As I say its a headache .

Dave

ADAC now have available a full set of their T&Cs in excellent English. I have just received a copy (four A4 pages) together with an application form and it states. ......

"In addition to the ADAC road patrol force ADAC contractors will provide assistance on a 24 hr basis. We cover expenses as set out below:

Roadside repair and accident assistance up to a maximum of €300.

Towing to the nearest suitable garage up to a maximum of €300.

Vehicle off road recovery up to the full amount. "

However, it seems that these limits are also appearing in other breakdown policies.

ADAC Plus membership is €84 for one vehicle and €109 for ADAC Plus Partner cover and it is assumed that this applies if two vehicles are covered. Payment by direct debit which may incur bank charges for foreign transactions (mine charges £25) or by Mastercard or Visa on a one off payment

However, it should be noted that under German law three months notice is required to cancel the cover otherwise the cost of a further year's cover will automatically occur and this clearly stated in the T&Cs. .

Sending an email to Evelyn. Kunz@nrh. adac. de requesting details will get everything in English by return.

Beejay

Are those allowances with a trailer do you know ? AA Euro cover want added charges if you are towing a trailer and breakdown extra .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Have contacted Evelyn, who has replied very promptly, very politely and in very good English bless her, (no patronisation intended). Will have to read the T&C's before I choose but I'm leaning away from RP at the moment, mainly because it seems that it's all a, bit "nepotistic" and "locked in". Don't like GF's, "if you've got Mayday we can't talk to you unless it's to refer you to RP, oh but if you've found us on the net then it's ok" thing. Might be reading things into it that aren't there but all looks a bit like back scratching to me. May relent though as I just want the best cover but don't want to be ripped off. More thoughts please.

Have contacted Evelyn, who has replied very promptly, very politely and in very good English bless her, (no patronisation intended). Will have to read the T&C's before I choose but I'm leaning away from RP at the moment, mainly because it seems that it's all a, bit "nepotistic" and "locked in". Don't like GF's, "if you've got Mayday we can't talk to you unless it's to refer you to RP, oh but if you've found us on the net then it's ok" thing. Might be reading things into it that aren't there but all looks a bit like back scratching to me. May relent though as I just want the best cover but don't want to be ripped off. More thoughts please.

If your happy with just breakdown cover go with ADAC if you want door to door all eventualities cover including repatriation and holiday continuation then Red Pennant far surpasses anything ADAC can offer .

Well this year we are off to France again for a couple of months. We normally go with friends, but they cannot make it this year, so for peace of mind we have opted for Red Pennant!

We are UK caravaners who have toured Europe for almost 30 years. .. and we wouldn't leave these shores without CC RP Motoring and Personal Holiday Insurance.

There is a place for ADAC Recovery and there is a place for generic holiday insurance via your bank account.

But when the cover is not what you thought you had or the various insurance companies start arguing amongst themselves about who will pay for what. .. you are the one at a disadvantage not them.

I take a simple view. .. if I am hit by a bus (a scenario we often referred to when considering succession planning in the commercial world)... I don't want my family faced with a multitude of "slopping shoulders" insurance companies trying to dodge their responsibilities.

I just want one supplier to take care of my nearest and dearest and take charge of whatever situation they find themselves in and "sort it"!!

For me that is CC RP and if it costs a bit more I consider it money well spent.

And that's from someone who has never had to claim. . though I have witnessed how well others were treated when they fell on difficult times.

HTH,

G.

ADAC and Red Pennant are very different. ADAC will give you annual cover, 365 days a year, both in this country, and in Europe, but for a more limited range of scenarios. Red Pennant will cover almost every eventuality, especially if you take out Personal as well as Motoring cover, but for a limited range of dates and only when you're on holiday.

If you want all-singing, all dancing cover during your holiday then you have to opt for Red Pennant. If you just want annual cover which will bring your car and caravan home in the sort of circumstances outlined in the 'small print' of the policy then ADAC is a good option. BUT you really do need to read ALL the small print. I did an exercise in obtaining as many 'small prints' as I could a few years ago, and reading them and comparing them meticulously - and almost none provide cover for all eventualities. You need to read the small print to make sure you're happy with the exceptions where you won't be covered before you take out a policy.

. ..... Red Pennant will cover almost every eventuality, especially if you take out Personal as well as Motoring cover. ...

. ..... I did an exercise in obtaining as many 'small prints' as I could a few years ago, and reading them and comparing them meticulously - and almost none provide cover for all eventualities. You need to read the small print to make sure you're happy with the exceptions where you won't be covered before you take out a policy.

ValA,

Not being provocative I assure you. .. but what eventualities in your exercise didn't RP cover. I only ask so that I know what they were. .. I recognise that your comparisons were a few years ago.

Thanks in anticipation.

G.