Make Your Own Mains Water Hook-up Kit

Bigdrinks

Instructions for the construction of.

Stuff you'll need

1) Torbeck side entry mini valve. Available from Wickes or B&Q for around £8. 00.

2) Replacement 80mm Aquaroll cap. £4-£5 from caravan dealers.

3) 10m of hose. preferably blue food grade, or at least make sure it's cadmium free. Approx £1 per metre. DIY shops & caravan dealers.

4) 2x Hozelock style hose connectors. 1X 3/4" Hozelock style tap connector. 1x 1/2" Hozelock style tap connector. Tescos selling the lot on a card at the moment for about £4.

Drill a 22mm hole in centre of new cap and fit the torbeck valve (removing and discarding the flowpipe and top housing first.) tighten the nylon lock nut (finger tight only)

Add choice of spiral water pressure reducer thingy that comes in the torbeck kit then fit the 1/2"BSP tap connector to end.

Assemble the hose obviously with the hozelock connectors at each end.

When on a service pitch insert your made up mini valve into side of 40l Aquaroll. Slacken nylon lock nut to ensure valve is upright, then finger tighten up.

Connect hose, then connect to site tap with your 3/4"BSP tap connector then switch on.

There ! Easy innit.

If you have look on ebay you'll see many for sale and hopefully see, in detail, what it consists of.

You may be able to source the parts alot cheaper thus making a real saving on the genuine Aquaroll version of around £40

Edited by Bigdrinks

Guest Dave Elcome

Far from wishing to be a kill joy, but will the mains kits be useable with the current hose pipe ban??

Far from wishing to be a kill joy, but will the mains kits be useable with the current hose pipe ban??

Yes - because you are using it to supply domestic water and not for watering the garden or washing the car.

Yes - because you are using it to supply domestic water and not for watering the garden or washing the car.

Isn't the hose pipe ban only in the south anyway <_<

Guest john

Instructions for the construction of. ..

nice to see your spreading my idea round ronnie

i made my first one back in early 2001

funny though you said you could not get torbec side fitting for under £11 when i put post on about 3 to 4 years ago

Edited by Gordon

Guest FISHY

all that comes to the grand total of £27. 00 i can supply all this with 8 metres of blue food grade hose delivered to your door for £28. 00 sit back and save yourself the trouble if anyone wants one send us a message

Guest john

all that comes to the grand total of £27. 00 i can supply all this with 8 metres of blue food grade hose delivered to your door for £28. 00 sit back and save yourself the trouble if anyone wants one send us a message

when i did mine in 2001 i think it cost about £9 in total

Sure when Ronnie was doing them they were cheaper B)B)

funny though you said you could not get torbec side fitting for under £11 when i put post on about 3 to 4 years ago

That is funny, because all and sundry quote that they can buy the Torbeck valve for buttons, but when put on the spot they cant say where the get it so cheap !

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of which, i`ve an absolute shed load of torbeck side entry valves for sale, all brand new and genuine torbeck, 7 quid each is all i`m askin for em. PM me if interested.

Mine was a fiver plus vat from my very local merchants. Interestingly, there appear to be 2 torbeck valves. The first was patented by design not name, so the other is now also a genuine torbeck valve as they won't copyright the name if two interested parties use it!

I've used both, and find the one with the whole enclosed float is a better quality than the one with a hollow float.

Speaking of which, i`ve an absolute shed load of torbeck side entry valves for sale, all brand new and genuine torbeck, 7 quid each is all i`m askin for em. PM me if interested.

Teash

That was quite inviting. But I've just found a new 'Screwfix Trade Counter' which has just opened close by. They're only £5. 99 there !

And could somebody suggest where I could get a food grade hose ?

Tried the local dealer but they don't do it (only "standard" water hose - which looks like it could be safe but doesn't appear to be a food grade in the way that the aquaroll one is)

cheers.

And could somebody suggest where I could get a food grade hose ?

Tried the local dealer but they don't do it (only "standard" water hose - which looks like it could be safe but doesn't appear to be a food grade in the way that the aquaroll one is)

cheers.

Hi we don't drink from the aquaroll so we used ordinary hosing from wilko's, works perfectly well, but if you really want foodgrade hosing you could try towsure, i'm sure they'll have it.

Hi we don't drink from the aquaroll so we used ordinary hosing from wilko's, works perfectly well, but if you really want foodgrade hosing you could try towsure, i'm sure they'll have it.

Glad to see other folk arn`t being fooled by all this 'food grade' hose malarky, especially over the last few months these kits are being sold on flea-bay and the prices for em have gone up considerably because they`re stating in the add "if you use any other colour of hose you`ll die" obviously i`ve over exagerated a tad but i`m sure you`ll know what I mean.

Like cb says, I to don`t drink water from the aquaroll but if I have to I always make sure its been boiled first. So save yourself some money 'lal' and opt for the cheaper hose. ;)

Guest FISHY

might be best if you use food grade hose it is cadium and barium free you can actually taste these chemicals in the water and once it gets into your caravans water system it is not easy to get rid off i believe you can get the full kit with non toxic hose of ebay for about £25 i believe the seller is called starhire1

LAL save yourself some money and use normal hose, i`ve read the reply on t`other forum and its spot on. The valve kits are readily available on e-bay and I think the cheapest one i`ve seen is from a seller called apatoon :P;)

Guest FISHY

if you value your health better sticking to the non toxic hose and stay from the cowboys selling dodgy hose read the packaging it says not for human cosumption if anyone wants any non toxic hose i can supply it for £1. 50 per metre

if you value your health

Not this old chestnut again, if you value your health you`d drink bottled water or make sure its boiled a couple of times before its used for drinking as most 'proper' caravanners will tell you. I for one wouldn`t want to drink water thats been in the water carrier all day because for all you know anybody could have tampered with it whilst your not there. So manufacturers can stick their 'food grade' hose where the sun don`t shine.

And regarding these so caleed cowboys didn`t at one time this person you mentioned 'starhire1' sell green or was it yellow hose stating their`s was a superior hose.

Nuff said :D

A useful tip that has wandered into a conversation that would now be more productive in the Chat section.

Thanks everyone for their contributions to this topic and please do restart in the Chat section unless this has already reached its natural conclusion.

ATB

Moose