Had Enough?????

tommytruck

Hi. :angry::angry:

After my old van getting wrecked last year by a moron in a 4x4 hitting the back of it, I said I had had enough of caravanning after over 35 years, BUT I went out, and bought a new Bailey Senator Vermont. After several faults, such as, on-board tank leaking, front windows leaking, cassette toilet faulty, worktop laminate lifting, the final straw happened last night, the shower cubical plastic has cracked.

I have just had enough, no more, it is going A. S. A. P. I will use hotels, and rent cottages, they are easier, and cheaper.

Thats it, whinge done, many thanks.

Have A Good Day.

T. B)B)B)

What a shame, we have recently come back to caravanning because of indifferent hotel rooms/standards/service etc it's a shame that you have been let down, good luck.

Fully understand your reasoning because we have just done the reverse of what you're doing.

After my old van getting wrecked last year by a moron in a 4/4 hitting the back of it, I said I had had enough of caravanning after over 35 years, BUT I went out, and bought a new Bailey Senator Vermont. After several faults, such as, on-board tank leaking, front windows leaking, cassette toilet faulty, worktop laminate lifting, the final straw happened last night, the shower cubical plastic has cracked.

I have just had enough, no more, it is going A. S. A. P. I will use hotels, and rent cottages, they are easier, and cheaper.

Have A Good Day.

T. B)B)B)

you were obviously sick before the Bailey experience, good luck with hotels. We have just booked a hotel, in Birmingham, and found that they don't recommend walking alone at night in the area. We have only just found this out by going onto a hotel review site.

Regards Ian

Sad as I don't think you've given it a fair crack of the whip.

Sounds like a useless dealer has let you down.

Just been over to Wicksteed Park where a rally is being held and pig sick I wasn't on it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We have only been caravanning since our retirement and love it BUT we still go on rallies with our MG we then use hotels - just returned from a week up in Scotland - great fun and great hotels BUT they set us back £700. 00 for seven nights - I think we did the whole of our 6 week tour of spain for that! B)

After my old van getting wrecked last year by a moron in a 4x4 hitting the back of it, I said I had had enough of caravanning after over 35 years, BUT I went out, and bought a new Bailey Senator Vermont. After several faults, such as, on-board tank leaking, front windows leaking, cassette toilet faulty, worktop laminate lifting, the final straw happened last night, the shower cubical plastic has cracked.

Have A Good Day.

T. B)B)B)

Sorry to hear of your 2 bad experiences.

I know that I hate it when I buy something and it goes wrong/breaks/doesnt work quite right, it really reall frustrates me, I suppose it must be even worse if the dealer isnt any use.

In my limited experience of caravanning and reading these and other forums that most people are happy with the quality of their caravans, especially Bailey. Although they are on the cheaper end of the market I get the idea that quality is very comparable to more expensive makes.

I stay in hotels for my work so getting out on the few weekends etc that we can is a break from the house and from hotels for me. My wife used to work for a rich Irish couple as a nanny so stayed in all the best hotels in the world, so a few nights in the van is bliss for her too.

Why not take a few weeks break from vanning and see if you miss it before selling on too much of your kit?

Steve

Don't give up yet. It happens, problems do occur. I had over 40 problems with my 2005 Bailey, but once sorted out the van was ok, only problem was health reasons forced a change this year and we couldn't find a Bailey to suit our requirements.

Problems with Hotels, cottages, etc is you do not know what you are getting until you get there. At least with a carvan you know exactly what your hotel/cottage facilities will be like, its only the location that may be a problem, and then if you need you just get up and go to another location with minimal cost.

Try and give it a little bit longer before you pack it in.

Tommy what a rotten experience. ..

you obviously had a what I now know as a "Friday van"

I have been caravaning for years --- possibly about 40 and last year bought a new 2005 van -- we try to change about the 4 year mark - and we also got a Friday van. ..

Nearly drove us to distraction andwe wereon the verge of packing in caravaning -- although don't know how I would have coped with hotel holidays -- having only stayed in Hotels on business -- and that is a totally different story. .

Any way thought we had finally got all the things sorted -- until the last week in March when we took the van in for service and although only 11 months old they found damp in the back wall. ...

We could have cried. ..

The dealer was great and gave us --we are awaiting delivery on 15th May -- a brand new 2006 caravan. .

This has gone along way to restoring our faith in the industry and the product. ... which we did feel has over the years declined.

We do hope to carry on caravaning. ...

Take heart -- it may not be all gloom out there. ..

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

We have just booked a hotel, in Birmingham, and found that they don't recommend walking alone at night in the area.

Regards Ian

Blimey Ian, wherabouts in Birmingham is this hotel? I was born and bred here in Brum and whilst there are some areas I wouldn't go to (like many cities) there are safe areas too. Birmingham has changed a great deal over the last few years and has a lot to offer. PM me if you wish and I will be glad to advise. :)

Neil.

Blimey Ian, wherabouts in Birmingham is this hotel? I was born and bred here in Brum and whilst there are some areas I wouldn't go to (like many cities) there are safe areas too. Birmingham has changed a great deal over the last few years and has a lot to offer. PM me if you wish and I will be glad to advise. :)

Neil.

Hi Neil,

thanks for your offer of input, the hotel is called The Campanile which is situated at Aston Lock.

I actually thought I wouldn't like Birmingham, 'cos of the stereotypical miserable Brummie'

but having visited I think that the sense of humour is superb and the people are friendly.

We usually use The Portland Hotel, on the Hagley Road, though this hotel is too far out of the city so we thought we would try the Campanile.

I have used a 'review of hotels site' where people have told of their experiences, though I refuse to let it put me off and we will visit next Friday and Saturday,

Thanks Neil,

Ian.

Don't give up yet.

Problems with Hotels, cottages, etc is you do not know what you are getting until you get there. At least with a carvan you know exactly what your hotel/cottage facilities will be like, its only the location that may be a problem, and then if you need you just get up and go to another location with minimal cost.

Try and give it a little bit longer before you pack it in.

This is exactly why we came back to caravnning after a break! Sick and tired of indifferent hotels etc etc. ..

Hi Neil,

thanks for your offer of input, the hotel is called The Campanile which is situated at Aston Lock.

I

Ian,

I used to work in Aston and my colleagues who needed to stay over often stopped at that Campanile. I have to say that it's not somewhere I'd stay myself as it's in the middle of an industrial estate and you can't walk anywhere from it. Some of my colleagues were also paranoid due to the "interesting" reputation of Aston but that's not something that would particularly bother me.

You'd actually be better off somewhere like the Portland - although it's on the Hagley Road, it's dead easy to get into town. Also worth trying places like the Copthorne which I believe often have special deals.

Ian,

I used to work in Aston and my colleagues who needed to stay over often stopped at that Campanile. I have to say that it's not somewhere I'd stay myself as it's in the middle of an industrial estate and you can't walk anywhere from it. Some of my colleagues were also paranoid due to the "interesting" reputation of Aston but that's not something that would particularly bother me.

You'd actually be better off somewhere like the Portland - although it's on the Hagley Road, it's dead easy to get into town. Also worth trying places like the Copthorne which I believe often have special deals.

Ian,

I tend to agree with "iansoady". The Campanile is in the middle of an industrial estate. It's also overlooking the Aston Expressway (motorway) so not the best of venues. Aston isn't one of the nicest areas in Brum i'm afraid.

My advice would be to try a hotel on Broad Street (that's where the Copthorne Hotel is) as it is smack in the middle of the entertainment area. Plenty of good restaurants and pubs.

Neil.

Ian,

I tend to agree with "iansoady". The Campanile is in the middle of an industrial estate. It's also overlooking the Aston Expressway (motorway) so not the best of venues. Aston isn't one of the nicest areas in Brum i'm afraid.

My advice would be to try a hotel on Broad Street (that's where the Copthorne Hotel is) as it is smack in the middle of the entertainment area. Plenty of good restaurants and pubs.

Neil.

Thanks for your input, though we've never stayed at the Campanile, we have taken your observations on board.

There are too many negative comments about the area, especially the industrial estate and the fact that it is difficult to walk from the hotel, so we have cancelled, and booked in at the Portland on Hagley Road,

Thanks all

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all on your input regarding Birmingham hotels. We stayed at The Portland and we can't say a word against it. Good staff, good food and good room,

Thanks all,

Ian.

We did a whole three week holiday one year in Campaniles (the bell tower) touring in France they are very much like the two star "Travel Lodges" in the UK. . but the French versions. ..

I think they are franchised . ..

Not hotels as such -- but motels.

stayed in one down near the Dartford bridge (London) -- not bad -- so long as you accept that they are motels. .

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Like others here we chose caravanning as it allows us to sleep in our own bed amongst our own belongings in our own little house on wheels. After seeing a report on TV recently about what was discovered on supposedly clean and laundered hotel bed linen (you really don't want to know!), even in upmarket hotels, we feel even better about our choice.

Stephen.

That's it, It has gone. Lost shed loads of money, but I can now sleep at night without worrying what is going to go wrong next.

The original thread seemed to get hi-jacked a little, but I will chance the iffy sheets, whatever, I have never had probs. in hotels all over the world.

I will still be lurking, and may even put in my two-penneth who knows.

Bye Bye.

T.

That's it, It has gone. Lost shed loads of money, but I can now sleep at night without worrying what is going to go wrong next.

The original thread seemed to get hi-jacked a little, but I will chance the iffy sheets, whatever, I have never had probs. in hotels all over the world.

I will still be lurking, and may even put in my two-penneth who knows.

Bye Bye.

T.

Hello Tommy sorry to hear you have had enough. .

I would like to wish you and your family good health and wealth for the future.

Keep popping on the forum.

TommyG

Archived