Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshireman

Caravan Reversing Camera -Wifi

I have been looking to see if it's practical and cost effective to install a small camera on the back of my caravan that links to a smartphone via wifi and use the setup as a reversing camera to help show what's behind me, maybe even keep live when driving. I have seen a few videos on the web but can't find something in the uk that would be reasonable to try, is don't want to spend too much in case it's ineffective, out of range etc. ..

Has anybody done similar, got any advice, costings or can recommend a supplier etc. .

Thanks

David

Edited by Lefthand Down

i like to concept! I will watch this thread :)

Not seen a 3g camera myself . Cheapest option and best is a hard wire system.

Dave

Not seen a 3g camera myself . Cheapest option and best is a hard wire system.

Dave

The reason for wifi, is that I don't want to run wires through the car, have a seperate screen (other than the smart phone or ipod) etc. . I have a D4 which has built in reversing camera, but I see no way of linking this to the system. Edited by David Pearson

I tried 2 wifi cameras even extening the cable from the camera to the sender unit so I could put that at the front of the van. I gave up with them because of too much interference and signal loss ended up fitting a wired system in the end.

GoPro would work, I have a GoPro Hero 3 black, I can control the camera from my Android Smart phone, via wifi from the phone and camera, and get a live feed.

I also don't think the distance from camera to dash of car would be an issue. It would also be able to record if required, it does video and stills at excellent quality. It could be attached via a sticky pad and a mount. The sticky pad mount would remain on the van, but no drilling or wires. They were designed to film attached to a surf board. They have a waterproof housing. It is very small too.

Downsides, price unless you buy an older or second hand model GoPro. Also you would need to remove it if you stopped at the services, someone may want to steal it.

You would also need to charge it each time, the battery lasts about 2 hours.

I think I will put a mount on my van when I get it in a couple of weeks, thanks for the idea.

the trouble is is having extra screens mounted, I had thought about wifi/wireless but have had trouble with wireless cameras so when I get time I am going to be doing a hard wire install in the van and car, with a camera mounted in the number plate fed to the 13 pin socket and using the spare pin use that as the video feed where it will enter the car and be fed into a dual screen rear view mirror which can have 4 feeds but for the moment I have one screen for the reverse camera on the car, then the other screen when connected to the van will have a live feed from the back and so I don't have to mess about changing cables over,

this is the screen I am using

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/370877868108?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984. m1439. l2649

DSC_0035-1.jpg

DSC_0036-1.jpg

the trouble is is having extra screens mounted, I had thought about wifi/wireless but have had trouble with wireless cameras so when I get time I am going to be doing a hard wire install in the van and car, with a camera mounted in the number plate fed to the 13 pin socket and using the spare pin use that as the video feed where it will enter the car and be fed into a dual screen rear view mirror which can have 4 feeds but for the moment I have one screen for the reverse camera on the car, then the other screen when connected to the van will have a live feed from the back and so I don't have to mess about changing cables over,this is the screen I am usinghttp://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/370877868108?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984. m1439. l2649DSC_0035-1.jpgDSC_0036-1.jpg

Thanks, I am looking for something that does not have the wires or clips over my existing mirror as I would loose the electronic functions already in my mirror.

Along the correct lines, but I need it to work with IPod/iPhone/iPad. And preferably a uk retailer.

A colleague of mine puts his iPhone in the caravan back window and has his ipad in a dash-mount. He then uses facetime between the two.

I met a guy on a site recently who had installed a wireless camera to the back of his van to a screen in the car.

He aquired it from a horse float suppliers.

They are used by owners to keep an eye on their horses in the float whilst travelling. The camera is battery opperated and the screen plugged into the cigarette lighter.

A good idea I thought.

Edited by Kiwi Graham

I have a drift ghost for the motorbike

This has an ap for live viewing on a smart phone

Would be ok for the reversing part but I expect it would be heavy on batteries

The go pro and the drift though have a slight delay maybe . 5 sec from camera to phone screen though

I'd considered trying it in the back of the van but the prettying around pairing and messing around would make it less attractive

Along the correct lines, but I need it to work with IPod/iPhone/iPad. And preferably a uk retailer.

Well, this'll work with your i-whatever, but it's from China, not UK.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/1-3-Cmos-WIFI-in-Car-Backup-Rear-View-Reversing-Camera-Cam-For-Andriod-Iphone-/261440824824?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item3cdf1665f8

Tony

Hmmm, I feel a new project coming along. Reversing sensors & camera fixed installation on the back of the 'van, wifi/bluetooth direct to my phone. ..

i have a Transcend dash cam which has wi-fi and i can view on my IPAD. £79 from Amazon.

Two potential problems. It is not weatherproof. it needs a 12v supply.

poolebob

It is not weatherproof. it needs a 12v supply.

The latter is pretty easy in a car - just take the reversing lamp feed.

The former - not so much.

The latter is pretty easy in a car - just take the reversing lamp feed.

The former - not so much.

Just wrap it in clingfilm. .. :ph34r: On my van could stick it in the rear window. . Not a great view of the bumpers though.

Edited by dreadly

My gopro hero 3 silver will work wifi to my android phone, I can plug it in the usb in the van to keep it charged and my phone can be charged also on usb in my car. Gopro say it has a range of 50' so that should be easily enough, it's in storage at the mo but i'll deffo try it out before we go out next.

My DashCam has wifi whichI believe allows it to display on a phone/tablet whilst it's running- dunno what it's range is though. Never actually tried it so I might go and have a play although I think the wifi has to be re-enabled every time it switches off

I have an action camera type thing, it WIFI's to my phone the one big problem with it is there is about a 2 second delay from what the camera sees to that image being put on my phone, bit dodgy when reversing

Edited by Simple Life

Are there ways of mounting without drilling ? I've looked into cameras that replace a number plate light so are quite well hidden, but its the back of the caravan that seems to be a problem ? I don't really want to start drilling into the caravan and potentially end up with bigger problems with water problems ??

I used silicon sealer as glue!

I now use a wired system, cheapo camera from eBay, very small with night vision and a wire you cut to remove the reversing bars so it gives a clear view.

Edited by Simple Life

I have a video switch fitted in the roofspace near the tailgate of my D4 which can be used to switch the reversing camera to another source. This means at the flick of a switch on the dash I can view the camera at the back of the van on the in dash screen. If you have the later D4 with surround camera system it'll stay on whilst driving. If not it will only work whilst reversing.

I upgraded to a Trailorvision Omni View system so have all the parts needed if you want to try it out. It cost me about £85 initially but would take £45 if anyone wanted it. I just need to take it back out of my D4 first. ;)

I suppose I should add that this works as a wired system.

Edited by Vanmaster Man