Bailey Ranger Tyres Look Too Soft

matt

We have an 05 model Ranger but I guess this query may apply to other makes. Whenever I look at the tyres they look too soft. According the handbook they should be 37psi and l check the pressure - they are always ok but still look miles too soft (base of tyre seems to be spreading excessively) At the storage site tonight, I had a look round at other vans and all of them had "hard" tyres (hardly any deformation at the base of the tyre)

Is 37 psi really the correct pressure for a tyre that carries so much weight???

We have an 05 model Ranger but I guess this query may apply to other makes. Whenever I look at the tyres they look too soft. According the handbook they should be 37psi and l check the pressure - they are always ok but still look miles too soft (base of tyre seems to be spreading excessively) At the storage site tonight, I had a look round at other vans and all of them had "hard" tyres (hardly any deformation at the base of the tyre)

Is 37 psi really the correct pressure for a tyre that carries so much weight???

HI matt,

i too have the same van as you Bailey Ranger 470, on my plate on the van from bailey it says 42 psi for the tyres, i agree they do look soft i often check them and they are the correct pressure. ,

cheers

mark

Hi Matt,

If you look on the sidewall of your tyres, you should find a max load and max pressure. If you use these figures to prorate the max pressure to the actual weight you are carrying.

e. g. Assume you are carrying the max permitted load, then load per tyre (assumed single axle) would be MTPLM/2.

Actual tyre pressure = max tyre pressure/ max tyre load x MTPLM/2

Brian

Matt,

We have a Pageant and the tyres on that also look slightly under inflated too. The handbook quotes 42psi, last time I checked they were 40psi. I did notice one side looks slightly flatter than the other, but both were at 40.

Lloyd

We had a 2002 Ranger 510/4 and I bought the max load upgrade which adds 35 kg to the maximum weight allowable (very handy if you're on the limit with your goods and chattels), and the new plate provided stated that the tyre pressure had increased by 5 psi, to 37 psi. The Pageant Bordeaux is heavier and it's pressure is 42 psi, and the tyres look underinflated though it tows like dream.

So it appears to be linked to weight.

By the way I have a spare upgrade kit for the Ranger 2002 510/4 at a reduced price if any body wants one,

Ian.

Archived