Sign in to follow this  
gavsspectrum

Caravan Mot

Hi guys just a quick question have there been any dates set in stone yet as to when the caravan mot will take effect? I've read places that say next year and others say 2017

Please advise

Its not going to happen ;-)

Its not going to happen ;-)

And that's how I understood it :)

Confirmed by the CC that the silly idea has been dropped permanently hopefully. Probably was some bored bureaucrat trying to justify their grossly inflated salary.

And that's how I understood it :)

I don't think its quite that simple. Although if you can point me to the actual legislation I am happy to be proved wrong. I have followed this legislation and the last documents I have seen from the TRAN commitee (20/1/14) ruled out testing for Tractors ( other than T5) and agricultural trailers and a wooly statement about vehicles which are rarely used on public roads.

Immediately afterwards a number of organisations (CC included) issued articles claiming their lobbying had defeated this proposal. Despite asking the editors of a number of these articles I have never been shown the source which you would expect to come from the committee.

I may be wrong but 01 and 02 trailers are still in that document and therefore the potential for testing still exists.

I personally dont think the proposals were that onerous, the original draft called for a first test after 4 yrs then bi annually after that. The same would also be applied to cars, so the MOT burden for these would actually be reduced.

If you have facts that show something different to the above, please let me know as I haven't checked it since the end of Jan.

I think this is the latest response from MEP that I've received.

Further to your correspondence with this office regarding proposed legislation to include the extension of the MOT test to include caravans I would like to clarify the present situation.

As I said in my previous email, although on 2 July this year Labour MEPs voted to exclude trailers (including caravans) from the MOT testing regime, this position was not shared by many in the European Parliament and we did not manage to get a majority to support exempting caravan type trailers above 750kg from the MOT testing regime and this regrettably was the position adopted by the European Parliament.

Now that the European Parliament has adopted its official position, the next part of this process is for the European Parliament to begin negotiations with the Council (where the 28 national governments sit). The Council position is to delete all trailers below 3. 5 tonnes from the scope of the testing regime. The Council and the European Parliament will have to find a compromise position on this issue. It is difficult to predict the outcome of the negotiations at this stage, but given the Council position there is room for optimism that the Council will water down the provisions regarding caravans.

So while there is hope, I and fellow MEPs no longer have any influence on the proceedings. Negotiators from the Parliament are mandated to negotiate with the outcome of the plenary vote that was taken in July.

I think this is the latest response from MEP that I've received.

Further to your correspondence with this office regarding proposed legislation to include the extension of the MOT test to include caravans I would like to clarify the present situation.

Thanks for that Gellyneck, that does seem to support what I have read, that despite the opposition the proposal still stands.

As I said in my previous email, although on 2 July this year Labour MEPs voted to exclude trailers (including caravans) from the MOT testing regime, this position was not shared by many in the European Parliament and we did not manage to get a majority to support exempting caravan type trailers above 750kg from the MOT testing regime and this regrettably was the position adopted by the European Parliament.

Now that the European Parliament has adopted its official position, the next part of this process is for the European Parliament to begin negotiations with the Council (where the 28 national governments sit). The Council position is to delete all trailers below 3. 5 tonnes from the scope of the testing regime. The Council and the European Parliament will have to find a compromise position on this issue. It is difficult to predict the outcome of the negotiations at this stage, but given the Council position there is room for optimism that the Council will water down the provisions regarding caravans.

So while there is hope, I and fellow MEPs no longer have any influence on the proceedings. Negotiators from the Parliament are mandated to negotiate with the outcome of the plenary vote that was taken in July.

Sign in to follow this