Caravan Roof

shen

hi, ive got an elddis typhoon gt 1993 .

problem i have have is the roof flexes in high winds, the seals are ok . its just noisy.

is it possible to just screw it down from the outside? to stop it banging?

my van is permanently sited so getting it to a dealer / repairer would be a pain.

thanx in advance, even if its bad news

shen

Hi

I am sure you could do what you say once you have found the main support beams but if you do this please MAKE SURE you get plenty of good sealant where you have put the screws in . I am sure someone else with a better caravan knowledge will be along shortly and give you a better answer if this is not a good thing to do.

CHEERS DAZKIM

I had the same problem when I had a Typhoon . We were on holiday in the Durham area and I went to their factory at Consett to complain about the wipping roof they agree that it should not happen and arange with my dealer downn south to fix it,They lifted the roof and slid some packing under it this was done under wantary thank god

All the Best Derek

Guest mr_sheens

please do not simply screw the roof down, this will certainly cause water ingress problems. the correct way of doing it is to remove the corner moulding completely from one side of the caravan, and then release and lift the roof panel up slightly. then you slide boards underneath the roof to take up the slack, the re-fix and re-fit everything. its not an easy job and is time consuming. i would suggest if you are unsure, to not attempt it yourself.

Guest Rallier
problem i have have is the roof flexes in high winds, the seals are ok . its just noisy.
If it's never going to be towed, just put a brick on the roof! Job done LOL.

Guest mr_sheens

oh sod it, just have your patio furniture and bbq on there. at least it will be a nice view! :lol:

Mr Sheen,

I quite like that idea of roof patio. Do you think the Bailey Provence roof - being flat and in one piece would stand the weight of a family of five perched on top? Where do you suggest we affix the ladder and should it be screwed to the van or would this cause water ingress ;)

Emma

please do not simply screw the roof down, this will certainly cause water ingress problems. the correct way of doing it is to remove the corner moulding completely from one side of the caravan, and then release and lift the roof panel up slightly. then you slide boards underneath the roof to take up the slack, the re-fix and re-fit everything. its not an easy job and is time consuming. i would suggest if you are unsure, to not attempt it yourself.

Would it not be possible to drill a hole, or two, in a hidden area a cupboard for instance, then squirt in some expanding foam. You can then use neat plugs to conceal the holes,

Regards,

Ian.

Would it not be possible to drill a hole, or two, in a hidden area a cupboard for instance, then squirt in some expanding foam. You can then use neat plugs to conceal the holes,

Regards,

Ian.

THINK THIS MAY BE THE BEST IDEA?

BUT WOULD IT WORK, AS A SHORT TERM SOLUTION?

SHEN

THANKS TO ALL FOR ADVICE :D

Guest Hobbybod

Regards,

Ian.

THINK THIS MAY BE THE BEST IDEA?

BUT WOULD IT WORK, AS A SHORT TERM SOLUTION?

SHEN

THANKS TO ALL FOR ADVICE :D

I think Ian's idea is the best pragmatic approach. The expanding foam is an adhesive and insulator so you've got everything you need to stop the roof panels flexing.

BUT be very careful how you use this stuff as it can expand by ~20x its original volume depending on the moisture content of the roof space; more moisture more expansion.

I used it when it first came out to rigidify the back panel of a a leaky Mardon. It did the job a treat, but the inner and outer walls were clamped togther, through the open window, to stop the expanding foam pushing the walls apart. Escape holes somewhere is another way of doing it. The pressure build up seemed enormous and there was still a little bulging even though the clamps were on for over 24hrs.

Anyway it cured the weakened back panel (water ingress caused wood framing rot) for a holiday, but when returned to Mardon they had a hell of a job taking off the back panel to makes a proper repair!!

Serves 'em right for making a leaky 'van.

Guest mr_sheens

my only concern is that the foam, as correctly pointed out by hobbybod, would either push the roof up putting strain on the sealed joints, or even worse bow and split the internal ceiling board. i would only reccomend trying this if the roof panel and the interior ceiling board could be fixed/held to stop this happening.

Archived