Review: Insignia Sports Tourer Bi Turbo [195] 4X4

themd

been a 4x4 insignia the grip is fantastic, also it is a bi turbo so there is no turbo lag at all and delivers the power straight away pulling my twin axle with ease, because of the high kerb weight the car is very stable with the caravan on the back, there is plenty of load space in the large boot area, I think its the perfect tow car as its road tax is cheaper than a large 4x4 and more economical, and in my opinion very stylish, it has a large maximum towing weight of 1800kg which is more than enough for most people.

Click here to view the towcar review

• 1 month later...

Sounds good. Not sure what MTPLM your caravan is?

Have you towed on steep hills and if so, how are the hill-starts, and general towing in steep hilly areas in your experience?

thanks

Shefchap

hello shefchap,

my caravan is a MTPLM of 1574 kg, I live in a fairly hilly area and spend a few wends at Ludlow not far from where I live the journey to the site has some quite big hills and I do have to pull up at a couple of t junctions that are steep.

the insignia has an electric handbrake which I will be honest was worrying me when I purchased the car as I prefer the good old fashioned mechanical one !!!!

with the electctric handbrake you have two settings - flick the switch once (normal handbrake) then when you are towing you flick it twice so it pulls the break on normal and on the second pull you hear and feel it pull even tighter!!. then when you pull away on the hill all you do is as normal driving give a few extra revs bring in the clutch and pull away, as you do this the handbreak releases automatically meaning no rollback, it does sound a little complicated but after using it I think its fantastic and a lot easier and safer to use than a normal handbreak.

the car pulls away with ease with my caravan on the hills with lots of grip and absolutely no loss of traction.

Vauxhall have since bought out the insignia 4x4 country model which now has a maximum tow weight of I think 2000kg !!

hope this all helps

kind regards

with the electctric handbrake you have two settings - flick the switch once (normal handbrake) then when you are towing you flick it twice so it pulls the break on normal and on the second pull you hear and feel it pull even tighter!!. then when you pull away on the hill all you do is as normal driving give a few extra revs bring in the clutch and pull away, as you do this the handbreak releases automatically meaning no rollback, it does sound a little complicated but after using it I think its fantastic and a lot easier and safer to use than a normal handbreak.

My current insignia sport tourer 160 (2wd) has this electonic brake. I also struggled with it at first, but got one of the service lads from our local Vauxhall dealer to come out with me for a spin, and he demonstrated this. Now I love it, and prefer it by far to the manual handbrake. ( I just need the 4x4 or Country Tourer now to get the hillstarts without wheel spin!)

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated

no problem at all,

I towed my van with a Vectra estate before this insignia and know what you mean about the wheel spin, the four wheel drive puts it in another league. I did look at land rovers, shoguns etc to tow the van but just could not justify the high running costs, I personally think this is the perfect car- fast, practical, high kerbweight, high towing weight and lowish car tax. kind regards

That's amazing . i have had my insignia 3 years & never knew there is 2 settings on the handbrake & towed all over the place .

2012 Static Willerby Severn, Sitting in Hidden Valley Welshpool . B)

I did a drive to the south coast earlier this month and tried to do a tow car survey. Hyundais and Kias were most common but I did notice lots of insignias with caravans on the back. Was too busy driving to clock model details and didn't realise there was a 4x variant on the market. Sounds like a good option

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.