A couple of years ago and after much deliberation and research we purchased a couple of Lafuma Recliners thinking that as they were reputed to be the best we would benefit from years of service.

After two seasons the elastic cords on my chair frayed and snapped one after the other rendering the chair useless. I bought replacement genuinely Lafuma elastic at £14 and fitted them last week. After one week of daily use there are already signs of wear where the elastic pass over the metal part of the frame

Apart from expressing dissatisfaction at what seems to be an inherent weak part of the product can I ask has any other member experienced, and overcome, this problem. I think I may resort to selling on the Lafuma and looking for a more durable alternative

Same problem. .... Until we went to a yacht chandlers while on holiday and purchased some thicker elastic cord there. Much stronger and durable, and cheaper. ......that was 3 year ago,never flattered

Edited by klarky

Mmmmmmm . ... after 3 years of use . ... we have not had a problem with ours . .....

Sorry

Pete

We've had ours for over 10 years. I have replaced the elastic on one and the other is due, but like Klarky I bought the cord elsewhere - ISTR from ebay.

Other than that the chairs are still in fine fettle and very comfortable despite being left out in the rain several times and subject to my not inconsiderable weight!

Heavens above! I've just looked at the prices of them. I can certainly see why you'd be feeling dissatisfied.

I've had my £15 Tesco Recliner for about six years and it's still going strong.

We purchased two upright Lafumas without elastic 'suspension' about 5 years ago. About a year in I managed to shut the electric garage door onto one of them. The only damage was a bent and twisted aluminium top rail. Our dealer tried to get a replacement rail from the importers but had no luck and I've even emailed Lafuma HQ in France but have had no response in four years.

We purchased another so we had two 'good' ones but the bent one still sees use.

The only other issue we've had is the nuts coming loose on the joints on a regular basis, so they need tightening annually.

So overall a good product, expensive and terrible after sales service.

We bought two recliners 3 years ago but found them so uncomfortable and terribly heavy. Also we found the material got badly stained easily. Definitely not worth the £150 we paid for them. Gave them away to our daugter.

We now have a couple of much lighter chairs whic cost us £29. 95 each and are much more comfortable. They are now two years ole and still look like new!

Think you pay £50 per chair for the Lafuma name :D

Edited by Jslocks

Mine were faultless for the first couple of years then at the end of last season the elastic snapped on one of them, soon after the bolt that holds the base to the side and acts as a pivot snapped in the other.

Depsite the fantastic comfort I am very dissapointed in the quality for such an expensive product.

Davros

We must have near prototype ones as they were purchased in 1997, then they were sold in two qualities one with lacing on backs and seats and a cheaper one with seat lacing only. Ours are the ones including laced backs and I have only replaced the lacing once.

One had a plastic sliding piece fracture which Lafuma UK replaced FOC, for me to fit.

I don't feel they owe us much. From what I am hearing the quality seems to have been reduced, I certainly noted more recent ones are lighter, but they needed to be.

Edited by JTQ

Are we talking about the elastic which holds the headrest onto the chair?

Ours started to tire and slide down the chair after some years. Wear and tear I thought because we use them a lot in the garden and in the caravan. We replaced the elastic with wide black knitted elastic from Dunelms (approx.£1. 30 per metre) and then a simple needle and thread job.

We've had them for over 10 years and we love them, so comfortable and beautifully balanced. We give them a good scrub and rinse at the beginning of the season and now they look really trendy, like faded denim :) . Or as my wife says, 'they look a bit old' :D .

Gordon

I bought two Dukdalf Paso Doble recliners, they have four proper legs

and a stated safe working load :D no problems at all.

I think they are available through Quest Outdoor Furniture

Mmmmmmm . ... after 3 years of use . ... we have not had a problem with ours . .....

Sorry

Pete

+1

But found them too heavy to take away with us, so sold a pair of recliners on eBay and they were in such good nick we got £175 for them :blink:

Are we talking about the elastic which holds the headrest onto the chair?

I must admit, despite my general enthusiasm, that is a weak point.

we have 3 lafuma recliners and they are great. the only chairs I can actually go to sleep in!!

we do have to replace the elastic cords down the sides every couple of years and the elastic for the head rests have the odd knot or two put in them to keep them taught, but overall well worth the money in our opinion

Has anyone tried the Isabella chairs, I notice North Staffs have started stocking them and they look pretty good?

Had ours for over 10 years, replaced the (very expensive for what they are) elastic cords and tightened up the headrest elastics, but we wouldn't change them for anything else out there at the moment. ...Peter

Get the elastic cordage (bungee) from a chandler - you can get it as thick or as thin as you like and I'd guess that it's cheaper than Lafuma branded stuff although you will have to tie your own knots.

Has anyone tried the Isabella chairs, I notice North Staffs have started stocking them and they look pretty good?

We bought these (8 position Camping chair with headrest) with clip on foot rests, 2 months ago from Wiltshire Caravans, and have used them at Devizes C&CCC site. Very comfortable, can use them at a table as well as to relax on. Not too heavy (listed as 5. 2 kg without footrest) and it all fits in the boot on a Ford Mondeo hatchback.

We have 2 lafuma recliners that we have had for about 6 years,about 3 years ago we replaced them with 2 from go outdoors half the price and a lot lighter. Now the lafumas stop in the conservatory for use outside at home when the weather is good (not too much worry about a lot of wear and tear then ) and the 2 go outdoors recliners are in the van.

we had similar problems and eventually replaced them with Riviera from a caravan shop. Two for about £ 75 on offer after two years use so pleased bought two more to keep in the van. No problems as good if not better than Lafuma with wooden arms.

If it has the Riviera label sewn into the chair its good quality.

We have had ours for nearly ten years still going strong only thing we have had to do is tighten some of the bolts, we always when not in use keep them out of direct sunlight maybe this helps to preserve the elastics?

Yes we have one of each. We have not bothered with the foot rests. The chairs come with the elastic lacing and wider for those of us with more responsibilities to carry and the ordinary one, both are a comfortable as the other. Usual Isabella quality. Very light compared to some on the market. Very strong (120 kgs load) so far and easy to sit at the table with. All round recommendation from us.

I've just remembered that our Lafuma do have one other issue and that's that the plastic arms bend enormously when they get hot. Left in the awning on a sunny day they get very flexible and can crack the sides of the moulding. It can even happen outside if it gets very hot.

We've noticed that they've stopped making chairs like ours and the current versions sport plastic arms that are made of two parabolic shaped pieces that presumably act against each other when hot to keep the arm solid.

We have 2 recliners that we have used for 2 full seasons and one has just snapped its cord. We needed white cord which we could not get locally and I was going to be charged a lot of money for delivery. I went to B&Q and bought some very similar cord that has done the job, but the other chair wont be long before it needs the cord replacing.

Hi

I bought a pair of La Fumas second hand about eight years ago for £100. They were very comfy, lightweight but seemed to collect sun scream, sweat, muck etc as a hobby.

I bought two cheaper chairs, unbranded, they were heavy but did were a "better" covering that did not seem "bothered" about sun oil etc. The cheaper ones were heavier but no bother. I also bought another pair of "unknown branded" chairs from a member here, again heavie than La Fuma but a more practical material.

Russ