A Polarity Tester

Jaydug

When I was in Screwfix this morning I saw these polarity testers. It uses 3 LEDs to indicate a correct connection; a missing earth; Live/Earth reversed; Live/Neutral reversed and a missing neutral. At £7. 99 I decided to get one.

http://www. screwfix. com/p/lap-ms6860d-socket-tester/91596

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

In this country the site electrics are tested every year and should be correct but these testers are ideal abroad where the electrics are a bit hit and miss how they wire their sockets . . You would need a adapter from the type of outlet to a 3 pin socket to test it before plugging in a caravan to protect its electrics .

I keep one of these testers in a drawer in my caravan for use at anytime.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

When I was in Screwfix this morning I saw these polarity testers. It uses 3 LEDs to indicate a correct connection; a missing earth; Live/Earth reversed; Live/Neutral reversed and a missing neutral. At £7. 99 I decided to get one.

http://www. screwfix. com/p/lap-ms6860d-socket-tester/91596

Damn - meant to put mine on ebay - I've got one if anyone wants it and it'll be a damn site cheaper than £7. 99 and I've only used it a couple of times. ... The new van has a reverse polarity light built in. ... Anyone want one?? LOL

Edited by thecookster

When I puchased one for the caravan, I thought I would check all the sockets round the house; glad I did some were wrong!!!

They crop up in Aldi and Lidl every so often.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Damn - meant to put mine on ebay - I've got one if anyone wants it and it'll be a damn site cheaper than £7. 99 and I've only used it a couple of times. ... The new van has a reverse polarity light built in. ... Anyone want one?? LOL

I would be interested, any idea on postage costs? I will PM you.

order item no PL1005218 and they are just £1. 64 + vat with free P&P from CPC Farnell (www. cpc. co. uk) and if you look at item no in0441418 you get a nice palm sized digital multimeter for only £4. 75 + vat with free p&p. Perfect to carry around in the van to help sort out the elctrics

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

order item no PL1005218 and they are just £1. 64 + vat with free P&P from CPC Farnell (www. cpc. co. uk) and if you look at item no in0441418 you get a nice palm sized digital multimeter for only £4. 75 + vat with free p&p. Perfect to carry around in the van to help sort out the elctrics

The multi meter looks very good value for money. I've been looking for a compact one, cheers.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

I use CPC a lot now as their prices are excellent (and sometimes the sale items are really cheap) and with the free postage (and usually next day delivery) it's much cheaper than getting in the car & going to look for things.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

the electrical tester I have is far superior to the little plug in one (£950. 00) but £5. 00 is good value for the little plug in one. obviously I require something far more accurate and a lot more functions. as for a multi meter ive never spent less than £200. 00. again for professional reasons but what I have found is some cheap one are grossly inaccurate showing things like 12. 2V instead of 12. 6V which doesn't seem like much but can send you looking for bad connections when in fact nothing is wrong.

Colin Kirk chief executive of kirk caravan service :welcome:

www.kirkcaravanservice.co.uk Call: (07719 287 943)

www.facebook.com/kirkcaravanservice :D

Accuracy isn't really all that important. Repeatablity is what you need. Providing you know what the reading corresponds to then you can add or subtract the difference. A cheap meter for prodding around the car or van electrics is more than adequate for most fault finding purposes.

You only need a calibrated device when absolute precision is required - most equipment has errors which need to be compensated for, even stuff that is "calibrated" so you need a certificate or variance chart to apply corrections if you needed absolute measurements.

I used to run a repair & cablibration department for electronic test equipment and even our calibration equipment had to go away for annual calibration and we had to use variance charts with them as well.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I like this Martindale unit. It test much more than polarity. but is a little more expensive.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/171181998172?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984. m1423. l2649

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Had an eBay cheapie for years and always use it every time we go on site. Sort of habit.

Never thought of trying it at home but will next time I'm at the storage.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Accuracy isn't really all that important. Repeatablity is what you need. Providing you know what the reading corresponds to then you can add or subtract the difference. A cheap meter for prodding around the car or van electrics is more than adequate for most fault finding purposes.

You only need a calibrated device when absolute precision is required - most equipment has errors which need to be compensated for, even stuff that is "calibrated" so you need a certificate or variance chart to apply corrections if you needed absolute measurements.

I used to run a repair & cablibration department for electronic test equipment and even our calibration equipment had to go away for annual calibration and we had to use variance charts with them as well.

yeah you are spot im a bit over the top with my tool and they need to be the best of the best but as you say to check really basic thing just about any meter will do but professionally best to buy middle of the road stuff

Colin Kirk chief executive of kirk caravan service :welcome:

www.kirkcaravanservice.co.uk Call: (07719 287 943)

www.facebook.com/kirkcaravanservice :D