Modifying Caravan Diy

Hi, we have been caravanners for a few years and on our second caravan. However, now our wee boy is getting older we need a bigger caravan, our compass rallye 2 berth is fab but just not big enough for 3 of us now! The problem is we can only fit a 20 foot caravan (including tow hitch) in the driveway and cannot afford storage. Has anyone got any experience of modifying a caravan internally? My other half is a joiner and we have thought of buying a 2 berth with end bathroom and removing it, leaving toilet and putting fixed bed in. I don't understand why manufacturers don't make smaller 4 berths! However we are on a small budget and can only afford to buy a used caravan anyway. I like having the 2 long bench seats and would rather give up shower & sink in bathroom than seats. Anyone any experience of any diy in a van and putting in fixed bed? Any useful ideas or info much appreciated.

When our children were small we had a layout with long front seats and transverse single dinette with bunk above across the back. The kitchen was on the near side and the wardrobe and small toilet/shower on the off-side. The layout worked particularly well with the children as they were curtained off at night at one end of the van and they had their own playing space (rear dinette) in the daytime.

Here are some caravans for sale with the layout I mentioned:

http://www. caravanfinder. co. uk/caravan-layouts-4berth-doubledinette-enddinette-01. html

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I would definitely look at buying a different caravan with the above layout or something similar, before modifying a caravan yourselves. The result, as lovely as it might be, would probably be unsaleable.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Hi, we have been caravanners for a few years and on our second caravan. However, now our wee boy is getting older we need a bigger caravan, our compass rallye 2 berth is fab but just not big enough for 3 of us now! The problem is we can only fit a 20 foot caravan (including tow hitch) in the driveway and cannot afford storage. Has anyone got any experience of modifying a caravan internally? My other half is a joiner and we have thought of buying a 2 berth with end bathroom and removing it, leaving toilet and putting fixed bed in. I don't understand why manufacturers don't make smaller 4 berths! However we are on a small budget and can only afford to buy a used caravan anyway. I like having the 2 long bench seats and would rather give up shower & sink in bathroom than seats. Anyone any experience of any diy in a van and putting in fixed bed? Any useful ideas or info much appreciated.

We have done exactly what you propose to our van, we removed the wardrobe sink and shower and fitted a standard mattress onto a self built frame,

it is a tight fit getting it all in but it works for us,.

If you are one of the people to whome money is no object then fair enough buy a new van, but we are not and we do everything on a tight budget and it works well for us :)

• Like 1

Hi, I haven't put a fixed bed in but have fitted a bath in the washroom in two caravans. You need to make sure that any wood framing you use is light - you can get lightweight plywood. You can also sometimes get matching "vinyl" or paper from the manufacturer or there are some breakers around where you might be able to salvage some old furniture or wall board to match any van that you buy.

Also, be careful if you are removing floor to ceiling walls - they may be integral to the structure of the van.

If your other half is a joiner, I don't think you would have a problem modifying a van to suit your needs. If you are worried about resale values, perhaps keep any old stuff you remove so that you can refit if you need to sell in the future. I was told that my van with a bath in place of the shower would never sell - we got the market value when we traded it in and were offered the same by quite a few dealers before we settled on a new (2nd hand) van. I have now put a bath in this one as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - post some pictures on here as I am sure folk would be interested.

The xplore 304 would be the right size fir you and has 4 berths.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Ours is a Elddis crown crest gt, it's a 98 model, excellent condition, 17ft total length with the bonus of having two double beds plus a fold out bunk bed. Bit tight without awning on but then you have to cut down on what you take. When we go away and have the awning up the children still want to sleep out in it.

Any project in a caravan has to be kept under control as cost and weight will just run away if not constantly checked .

The make up of caravan components used in caravan construction are all very light made hollow in most cases . Just using thin sheet ply will make a difference . A caravan is built using computer graphics that calculate the weight distribution over the whole caravan and how the structure is supported by internal walls and furniture .

As said I would look for a caravan that meets your needs .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Ours is a Elddis crown crest gt, it's a 98 model, excellent condition, 17ft total length with the bonus of having two double beds plus a fold out bunk bed. Bit tight without awning on but then you have to cut down on what you take. When we go away and have the awning up the children still want to sleep out in it.

We have very similar - a 99 Crown Crest, but the 4 berth so we have no bunk over the rear double. It's very compact, light to tow and functions well with 2 adults, a 3yo and 5yo.

It's very very similar to this: http://www. meridianmotorhomes. com/caravans/crown_caravan_0611/elddis_crown_0611. htm

Cost us just over £3k last summer in great condition.

Ive done heaps of DIY on my 2002 caravan.

Most of the layout is perfect, but 12 years on and tastes have changed. Im not planning on selling it so I have done various very personal mods.

Its very easy to do any diy. Its not as robust as it appears (!) and my mods have been way stronger for much the same weight.

Id give it a go. If you know what youre doing than why not.

We have very similar - a 99 Crown Crest, but the 4 berth so we have no bunk over the rear double. It's very compact, light to tow and functions well with 2 adults, a 3yo and 5yo.

It's very very similar to this: http://www. meridianmotorhomes. com/caravans/crown_caravan_0611/elddis_crown_0611. htm

Cost us just over £3k last summer in great condition.

Ours was only £2300 2yrs ago with every thing included, no damp and like techsnap says tows well.

Ive done heaps of DIY on my 2002 caravan.

Most of the layout is perfect, but 12 years on and tastes have changed. Im not planning on selling it so I have done various very personal mods.

Its very easy to do any diy. Its not as robust as it appears (!) and my mods have been way stronger for much the same weight.

Id give it a go. If you know what youre doing than why not.

:goodpost: All that is needed is some common sense, Like Silver Fox, we have made numerous modification to our van to fit in with what we need, as we never intend selling it we may aswell make it how we want it.